Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:13 AM   #1
MacVidCards
In Time-Out

Fastest Mac GPUs with full EFI boot screens, etc, GTX570 & GTX580

Now that OS 10.7.3 finally supports GTX5xx GPUs we sunk some extra effort into these cards. Got a few tips and hints from Netkas that got us moving.

I present the fastest Mac Native GPU EVER.

GTX580 3GB running in 10.7.3.

Card shows EFI boot screens on either DVI port.

Also have GTX560 going. Will announce GTX570 separately.

Requires external PSU, but this GTX580 kicks AMD/ATI 5870 to curb, leaves for dead, and never looks back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-20 at 1.04.40 AM.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	336536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-19 at 11.48.53 PM.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	336537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-20 at 1.15.38 AM.jpg
Views:	2276
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	336539  

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-20 at 1.22.09 AM.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	336541  

Last edited by MacVidCards; Apr 25, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
MacVidCards is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

Nice!!!

Everything works as per the 5870 too?

Shame I just bought a 6870 but given this needs an external PSU perhaps the 570 is actually the better bet?
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:27 AM   #3
MacVidCards
In Time-Out

A flashed 5870 only has boot screen on one (1) VGA adapted DVI port.

These GTX5xx cards have boot screens on either port connected however you like.

OSX has had support since 10.7 for GTX5xx cards but requires some minor hacks.

The EFI screens will work all the way back to a 2008 3,1 but will require 10.7 or later for 3D.
MacVidCards is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
A flashed 5870 only has boot screen on one (1) VGA adapted DVI port.

These GTX5xx cards have boot screens on either port connected however you like.

OSX has had support since 10.7 for GTX5xx cards but requires some minor hacks.

The EFI screens will work all the way back to a 2008 3,1 but will require 10.7 or later for 3D.
Sorry, I meant that when in OS X, everything works. So Steam, DVD player, etc. (I.e. it wouldn't crash on me .)

I'm extremely happy with the 6870 working properly, no issues as of yet and I'm confident enough in it for me to sell the 4870!
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:29 AM   #5
ekwipt
macrumors 6502

Give us a run through on how you do it? Think i'll get a one these cards now
ekwipt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
philletourneau
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
Agreed! I'd love to try this too.
philletourneau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
give us a run through on how you do it? Think i'll get a one these cards now
me too!!
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
frishen
macrumors newbie

I don't think he would ever do that. If you search his ID on ebay, you can find him selling those modded cards.

Quote:
frishen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Pressure
macrumors 68040

Holding on for the new Mac Pro (sigh, if they ever are updated) to see what graphic card options they will have.

Just a shame we have to resort to all these gorilla methods for getting a reasonable powerful graphic card for our workstation class machines.

But yeah, I'm sure both AMD and nVIDIA could release their own cards with EFI and drivers if they bothered, like ATI did once for the Radeon 3870.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Any FCP X?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:32 PM   #11
kylepro88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kylepro88 Send a message via MSN to kylepro88
I would love to get an Nvidia card, but I work with FCPX a little and probably will in the future so that's out of the question. It's built to take advantage of OpenCL exclusively so ATI is my only chance. However that means I miss out on CUDA acceleration in Adobe Premiere which I also use. OpenCL support for 2011 MBP's is being added to Adobe CS6, but that's the extent of the support for now. I trust Adobe to create more cross compatibility over Apple.

Don't expect anything other then ATI cards in Macs for the long haul. No way they would write FCPX from the ground up to take advantage of all any Mac can offer and then create hardware that can't use it anymore LOL. At least I would hope not haha.
kylepro88 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:42 PM   #12
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylepro88 View Post
It's built to take advantage of OpenCL exclusively so ATI is my only chance. However that means I miss out on CUDA acceleration in Adobe Premiere which I also use. OpenCL support for 2011 MBP's is being added to Adobe CS6, but that's the extent of the support for now. I trust Adobe to create more cross compatibility over Apple.
Huh? OpenCL also works on NVidia cards. It's an open standard, not ATI specific.

Not ALL NVidia cards, as there is an incomplete driver set. But it worked fine on my old GeForce 8800 GT.

So I guess that means a good question is if OpenCL is working on these cards.
goMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:43 PM   #13
dagomike
macrumors 65816

I'm hopeful Mac Pros will suport the HD7970. OpenCL scores are off the charts.

Tempted though to get the GTX580 in the mean time.
dagomike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Loa
macrumors 65816

Hello,

Question for all you guys who know a lot about GPUs. I was planning on buying a 6870 (for the diablo III releaase) for my 2009 MP.

Is there an nVidia card that has roughly the same price/performance ratio *and* that has at least one mini display ports?

Thanks

Loa
Loa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #15
unfrostedpoptar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Just a shame we have to resort to all these gorilla methods for
Think you meant 'guerrilla'. Sorry for the correction, but any break from lamenting Apple's (non) support of Mac Pros is good
unfrostedpoptar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:10 PM   #16
phiphika
macrumors newbie

Gtx580

I'd like to confirm the following:

A GTX580 can be installed into a Mac Pro running the latest OSX version without the need for any special modifications to the card or additional power supply units. I read somewhere that I would need a 6 to 8 pin power converter. Also, do I need to be worried about upgrading the OS to the next version and having the drivers invalidated until NVidia decides to update? (Like with ****** PC's).

Can someone confirm all of this?

Thanks,
Ryan
phiphika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:28 PM   #17
MacVidCards
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiphika View Post

A GTX580 can be installed into a Mac Pro running the latest OSX version without the need for any special modifications to the card or additional power supply units. I read somewhere that I would need a 6 to 8 pin power converter. Also, do I need to be worried about upgrading the OS to the next version and having the drivers invalidated until NVidia decides to update? (Like with ****** PC's).

Thanks,
Ryan
I will eventually create a down clocked 580 that will work in Mac Pro with no extra power, but currently you need external power.

As far as what will happen in future OS releases.....my Crystal Ball started showing static so I took it into the shop.

Everyone got all worked up about the 10.7.3 "magic" drivers but the fact was the Netkas had offered this same functionality for a couple years. "ATY_Init" did the exact same thing, but Nvidia's way looks nicer in System Profiler. Functionally the same except for that cosmetic issue.

Support for GTX5xx cards has been in OSX since 10.7.0. The ability to "self init" may go away, but you can just use Netkas little app to do same thing. (consider a donation to him if you do...it helps us all in the long term)
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:09 PM   #18
phiphika
macrumors newbie

Gtx570

Would I need an new power supply for the 570? Looking for a simple plug in and work solution. I don't know what a "ATY_Init" is and unfortunately don't have time to read up on hacky ways of trying to get a graphics cards upgraded...I know, I know, should have bought a PC. Thanks for the help.
phiphika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Ve3tro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiphika View Post

Thanks,
Ryan
I have mine running from two 6 pins to the 8 pin and 2 molex to the 6 pin. Runs fine for me.
Ve3tro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:13 PM   #20
MacVidCards
In Time-Out

One of the first cards has landed at end users place.

And I have decided that I need to reiterate some things that I didn't make clear before.

1. You can use these in any version of 10.7 but you will need to do the "add the device id to driver" thing UNLESS you use:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-...01-driver.html

Big "Thank You !!!" to hard working guys at Nvidia who wrote us such a nice driver !!! Keep them coming.

2. If you are trying a 10.7.4 BETA, you will need to install that 10.7.3 driver ON TOP of the 10.7.4 Beta. (or add the device id to kext)

3. You will need to remove the AGPM kext.

4. Nvidia drivers have historically been 2 channel only. The way they define display channels is more rigid than Windows so cards are limited to 2 working ports. On a Dual DVI & Mini HDMI card, we just have the 2 DVI ports working and turn off the HDMI. On the 4 outlet cards it is a little trickier, we disable the 2nd DVI and HDMI and just enable Displayport. This is not laziness on our part...do an image comparison of Mac versions of Quadro 4000 and 4800 to the Windows ones. Nvidia does the same thing, they just have the luxury of not soldering the ports on to begin with. If you absolutely MUST have both DVI ports working let us know and we can write it that way but then the Displayport will NOT work. Most people would rather have the ability to see boot screens on an Apple DIsplay as an option. You can always use DIsplaport to DVI adapter if needed. These "turned off" ports continue to the Windows side.

5. These cards are REALLY fast.

First reviews should start showing up today.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:08 PM   #21
jasonvp
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
One of the first cards has landed at end users place.
Indeed it has. And thank you very much to MacVidCards for working with me and getting the GTX570 to me so quickly. NewEgg delivered it to him on Thursday, and USPS dropped it on my doorstep this morning. That's some quick turn-around (and shipping!)

I took a bad picture of the LCD while my Mac was booting with the GTX installed, just so everyone can see it does in fact display the EFI grey boot screen. After that, I was off to a slow start due to not realizing I had to get the latest drivers direct from nVidia. I thought 10.7.3 had them incorporated, but I was wrong. Once he corrected me, all was well. CUDA-Z saw it, Adobe Premiere Pro saw it, and I started some tests.

I edited a couple of my race track videos, each of which consist of two 1080p camera angles from inside the car: one pointing forward, the other backward. The source footage is AVCHD. The rear-facing image has to be scaled down 50% and cropped. Then both videos then have to be scaled down to 720p. Most of this work is handled by the card. Twenty minute track videos were being exported to MP4 in a little over real time with my previous Quadro 4000. With the GTX they exported in half real time.

That's one HELL of an improvement!

MacVidCards is a top notch individual and I'd definitely do business with him again. Now I just have to find something to do with my Quadro 4K...

jas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	booting.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	337714  
jasonvp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:37 AM   #22
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvp View Post
Indeed it has. And thank you very much to MacVidCards for working with me and getting the GTX570 to me so quickly. NewEgg delivered it to him on Thursday, and USPS dropped it on my doorstep this morning. That's some quick turn-around (and shipping!)

I took a bad picture of the LCD while my Mac was booting with the GTX installed, just so everyone can see it does in fact display the EFI grey boot screen. After that, I was off to a slow start due to not realizing I had to get the latest drivers direct from nVidia. I thought 10.7.3 had them incorporated, but I was wrong. Once he corrected me, all was well. CUDA-Z saw it, Adobe Premiere Pro saw it, and I started some tests.

I edited a couple of my race track videos, each of which consist of two 1080p camera angles from inside the car: one pointing forward, the other backward. The source footage is AVCHD. The rear-facing image has to be scaled down 50% and cropped. Then both videos then have to be scaled down to 720p. Most of this work is handled by the card. Twenty minute track videos were being exported to MP4 in a little over real time with my previous Quadro 4000. With the GTX they exported in half real time.

That's one HELL of an improvement!

MacVidCards is a top notch individual and I'd definitely do business with him again. Now I just have to find something to do with my Quadro 4K...

jas
You can sell it to me
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:35 PM   #23
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

As I consider to build myself a hackintosh, I wanted to ask if an EFI-flashed GTX570 2560MB gives me any improvement over a stock PC one used in a hackintosh.
Otherwise, it might make sense to sell the card and get e.g. a GTX580 3GB (I don't wanna use Kepler cards since I need the machine for video editing and therefore more CUDA power).
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:49 PM   #24
MacVidCards
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
As I consider to build myself a hackintosh, I wanted to ask if an EFI-flashed GTX570 2560MB gives me any improvement over a stock PC one used in a hackintosh.
Otherwise, it might make sense to sell the card and get e.g. a GTX580 3GB (I don't wanna use Kepler cards since I need the machine for video editing and therefore more CUDA power).
As you may have guessed, the EFI won't be read or seen in a Hack. So you might very well be better off with a standard card in a Hack. The PCIE being locked at 1.0 is a function of Apple Hardware, so you will also sidestep that little bullet too.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:37 AM   #25
DJenkins
macrumors regular

Quote:
As you may have guessed, the EFI won't be read or seen in a Hack. So you might very well be better off with a standard card in a Hack. The PCIE being locked at 1.0 is a function of Apple Hardware, so you will also sidestep that little bullet too.
Hmm... so I've been reverse engineering and rebuilding my hackintosh that was put together for me (ML 10.8). Am I to guess correctly that my 1.28GB GTX570 has no EFI bios chip on it?

I can dump an off the shelf PC GTX 580 in there and it will work the same?
DJenkins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro