Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Since updating to the latest Kies (and so ICS) I find my computer starts getting very hot when I'm simply browsing the web. Going to activity monitor shows "Kies Wifi Agent" using around 97% of the CPU.

I can't see how to disable it starting up (I never sync over wifi). Any suggestions?

KrAzEDaMaN

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Kies wifi

I have/had the same problem, just didn't know it. My new mbp started getting only about 2 hrs battery life on full charge, and getting really hot; contacted Apple, and scheduled Genius Bar appt.

At Genius Bar, this app (Kies wifi) doesn't show up on activity monitor, but battery was draining really fast (about 5% in 5 minutes), with no active windows open.

Apple rep gave me new battery, and off I went. Turn on my mbp this AM to cycle once the new battery, when I check activity monitor and KiesWiFi is eating 99% of battery and I'm actually watching my battery percentage tick down from 96% to 88% in seconds.

I tried removing app (and all files) with 'AppCleaner', had to do it about three times before I actually just stopped it via Activity Monitor. Restarted my mbp, no more KiesWiFi. Don't know why it was doing what it was doing, but I got rid of it. I don't even remember downloading this app. I have the TMobile Samsung Galaxy S2, so I might have connected phone via BlueTooth to send pictures and software was downloaded.

P.S. All mentioned positive apps, from Apple app store. :apple::apple:

nemmo

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
The same thing happened to me. In the last week my MBA's fan kept spinning and the battery life dropped to 1:50 hours without any reason.

I installed Kies to backup my Samsung Galaxy S2 the previous week. I opened up Activity Monitor and it showed the same thing: Kies using 98% of the CPU for no reason at all. I didn't even had the program opened at the taskbar. Apparently Kies installs a small program that remains working in the event that you want to connect your cellphone to your computer.

I simply closed the program using Activity Monitor and then erased the Kies folder. Almost instantly the fan slowed down and my MBA got cooler.

It seems almost as if Samsung was trying to kill my MBA. :mad:

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Memory leak.

Sounds like Kies has a memory leak. Sometimes the dev is totally unaware of a leak like this. Anyways I prefer App Zap when I need to delete apps on the spot.

The same thing happened to me. In the last week my MBA's fan kept spinning and the battery life dropped to 1:50 hours without any reason.

I installed Kies to backup my Samsung Galaxy S2 the previous week. I opened up Activity Monitor and it showed the same thing: Kies using 98% of the CPU for no reason at all. I didn't even had the program opened at the taskbar. Apparently Kies installs a small program that remains working in the event that you want to connect your cellphone to your computer.

I simply closed the program using Activity Monitor and then erased the Kies folder. Almost instantly the fan slowed down and my MBA got cooler.

It seems almost as if Samsung was trying to kill my MBA. :mad:

leandromundim

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Easy!

It's quite simple to turn this off...

I'm using OsX 10.7.4 and I did this:

I went to "System Preferences", than in the line "System" I went to "Users and Groups". In the top, there is "Password" and something like "Login Items".
I went to this "Login Items" and just clicked one time in "KiesViaWifiAgent" and than in the " - " button under it.

Now, I can reboot the MacBook Pro and it will not startup by itself.

Sorry about my english, but I'm form Brasil and my OsX is all in portuguese. So, I'm translating it by myself.

Hope to be helpfull...

KrAzEDaMaN

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I went to "System Preferences", than in the line "System" I went to "Users and Groups". In the top, there is "Password" and something like "Login Items".
I went to this "Login Items" and just clicked one time in "KiesViaWifiAgent" and than in the " - " button under it.

Sorry about my english, but I'm form Brasil and my OsX is all in portuguese. So, I'm translating it by myself.

Hope to be helpfull...

Obrigado pela informação. Na verdade, esta foi a primeira coisa que fiz, mas ainda estava tendo problemas com Kies. Assim, eu tive que tomar medidas adicionais para se certificar de que tinha ido embora.

londonman

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008

Hope to be helpfull...

many thanks for this. Very helpful.

I really wish that the software engineers who wrote Kies actually followed Apples guidelines. I really resent them taking COMPLETE control of my desktop when I need to update the firmware on my Ace 2. I am unable to do anything with the Mac while this is going on. Just because they are either lazy or incompetent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.