Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I can't believe the devs of read it later. They took away their iconic name that defined a whole category of apps (with apple pretty much copying it in reading list) and renamed it pocket!

They took away their auto categorisation feature of their digest where users had been keeping their articles organised and now users are left with a pile of uncategorised articles to manually retag or bulk retag... Users that had paid to buy their now free app. But customers had paid good money so they could have the autocategorization feature in the digest. That's like ms making excel free and offering it without cells?!!!!

And all that for what, to make it look kkeewwwl and visual? The digest had already a pretty good way of presenting the items visually.

And what's the rationale for making it free? Where are they going to get their money now from? Maybe sharing user data to advertisers to target us in the future? I dunno I am just making a hypothesis here.

In any case, what a way to shoot themselves in the foot and their users too. :mad:

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I had the free version but i don't understand the point of the change either. I will still continue to use it only because it is easier to save articles in firefox and google reader because of the add on.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
It's very hard to understand how they have someone pay for a functionality they offer and then they take it away via a "free" update... It's like selling a camera app with filters then updating it to free and taking the filters away...unbelievable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.