Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Dan14
macrumors regular

Broken iPad 2 screen - Question

All,

My lovely wife dropped by iPad 2 64GB 3G iPad whilst getting out of the car today and smashed the screen so I'm going to the Apple Store shortly to get it fixed (in warranty).

Quick question to anyone that may know - does Apple do some sort of trade-in scheme against the iPad 3? Can I trade in my current iPad 2 and get some money off the iPad 3, anyone know how much roughly? (UK buyer)

Dan.
Dan14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan14 View Post
All,

My lovely wife dropped by iPad 2 64GB 3G iPad whilst getting out of the car today and smashed the screen so I'm going to the Apple Store shortly to get it fixed (in warranty)...
Warranty You must mean Apple Care.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:50 AM   #3
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Warranty You must mean Apple Care.
apple care is just an extended warranty(of a kind), answer the question.

as far as i know there is no 'trade in' option at the apple store.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
bufffilm
macrumors 6502

there's no trade-in for an older generation ipad. and having a 'lovely wife' usually forgives a multitude of sins.

if you don't have Applecare or third-party insurance, that damage won't be coverred by the warranty.

Quote:
All,

My lovely wife dropped by iPad 2 64GB 3G iPad whilst getting out of the car today and smashed the screen so I'm going to the Apple Store shortly to get it fixed (in warranty).

Quick question to anyone that may know - does Apple do some sort of trade-in scheme against the iPad 3? Can I trade in my current iPad 2 and get some money off the iPad 3, anyone know how much roughly? (UK buyer)

Dan.
bufffilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:13 PM   #5
ghett0tech
macrumors member

2nd gen iPads have a flat rate of 249 to swap out for damage. lucky for you apple is generous
ghett0tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufffilm View Post
if you don't have Applecare or third-party insurance, that damage won't be coverred by the warranty.
AppleCare does not cover when spouses accidentally drop your iPad.

Quote:
What warranty are you talking about?
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Warranty non with standing there is no trade up policy.

Best thing todo get it repaired and while the replacement is in new condition trade it into amazon or sell it.
Use the funds collected toward an iPad 3
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

You won't get it replaced with the warranty. They will charge you 206.44 for a replacement iPad 2 unit.

However, your "lovely wife" could always try her luck there and see if they're willing to be generous...
Dangerous Theory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Dan14
macrumors regular

Ha! Thanks for the comments guys. Apple wanted 199 for a replacement as they gave me some crap about not being able to just replace the screen... Should've seen their faces when I pulled up an iFixit video and said just do that.

Anyway, not one to argue with the Apple repair process, I just went on my way and have mailed it to Apple Heroes based in London to fix the glass for 88.

For those wondering, and I'm not sure if it's just us Brits that call it a warranty, but I was referring to the manufacturers 1 year guarantee that comes with the purchase of an iPad - probably called something else entirely
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:02 AM   #10
MajorTCS
macrumors regular

Check out this website: mission repair.com
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Dan14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTCS View Post
Check out this website: mission repair.com
Thanks for the link, but I'm based in the UK - postage would be rather expensive... The guides look good though, thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
...Apple wanted 199 for a replacement...

For those wondering, and I'm not sure if it's just us Brits that call it a warranty, but I was referring to the manufacturers 1 year guarantee that comes with the purchase of an iPad - probably called something else entirely
No it is called warranty in the US too. We were saying that warranty doesn't apply to self inflected damage as you found out. Warranty covers manufacture problems.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:51 PM   #13
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
No it is called warranty in the US too. We were saying that warranty doesn't apply to self inflected damage as you found out. Warranty covers manufacture problems.
barkomatic is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:05 PM   #14
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ha! Thanks for the comments guys. Apple wanted 199 for a replacement as they gave me some crap about not being able to just replace the screen... Should've seen their faces when I pulled up an iFixit video and said just do that.
While it can be replaced, Apple doesn't do that in store. If anything, the refurb repair at a central locations since it would cost far too much to train techs in the proper repair techniques, stock or ship parts for repairs, etc.; so it's easier to just replace damaged ones for a flat fee. In addition, they can be assured a new one works properly and doesn't have any problems, while a repair world require diagnostics of the entire device and may still miss a problem and then have an unhappy owner back claiming they didn't fix it properly.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:57 PM   #15
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Anyway, not one to argue with the Apple repair process, I just went on my way and have mailed it to Apple Heroes based in London to fix the glass for 88.

Whether they CAN or not is not the question. It's whether they SHOULD that is the question here. And the answer to that is NO.

I've been there myself. I dropped my iPhone on a tile floor and smashed the screen. Had to pay $199 for a new one. I asked them if they would give me a 32 GB if I paid more (I broke a 16 GB) and they said that they can only exchange for what I had.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:42 AM   #16
Dan14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
Whether they CAN or not is not the question. It's whether they SHOULD that is the question here. And the answer to that is NO.
Why?

There's no arguing replacing a single part is far more efficient than replacing the whole unit. I think it is a question of if they can or not and it does come down to the training cost as previously pointed out. As jlc1978 pointed out, it would be too costly to train every genius on a very delicate process.

So no, it's not a question of whether they should, I think it's more a case of they can't. However, I'm very interested to hear why you think they SHOULDN'T offer a repair facility...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:39 PM   #17
Donal James
macrumors newbie

Replace the screen

I saw this video:

http://ipad.screentekinc.com/repair.html

about replacing a broken digitizer screen. Has anyone tried this? Looks pretty easy.
Donal James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:42 PM   #18
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Hardest part is removing the glass, without breaking it.

But if it's already broken not a big deal.

Second hardest part is not damaging anything else especially the LCD panel and cable.

Check out the Ifixit.com site for more examples
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad