Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
larswik
macrumors 65816

So about Singeltons and Global ivars.

So until the other day I thought my objects instance variables were "Global Variables". My thinking was that if I had 2 or more Methods that needed to access the same variable, I would declare them "Globally" and instantiate them. If not I would declare them locally within the Method for temporary use. (like I learned in my Pascal class regarding the Scope or variables).

- Are object instance variables also know as global variables for that object? I seem to use them in that capacity and they function that way. But are they know as Global Variables too?

I have not learned how to use Singletons yet but I guess they store information "Globally" in my root controller which I can use to pass information to my different objects?

- Are there any good tutorials out there to learn how to use Singletons? I did google it but sometimes folks here have good resources too. This is my weekend project to learn.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by larswik View Post
So until the other day I thought my objects instance variables were "Global Variables". My thinking was that if I had 2 or more Methods that needed to access the same variable, I would declare them "Globally" and instantiate them. If not I would declare them locally within the Method for temporary use. (like I learned in my Pascal class regarding the Scope or variables).

- Are object instance variables also know as global variables for that object? I seem to use them in that capacity and they function that way. But are they know as Global Variables too?

I have not learned how to use Singletons yet but I guess they store information "Globally" in my root controller which I can use to pass information to my different objects?

- Are there any good tutorials out there to learn how to use Singletons? I did google it but sometimes folks here have good resources too. This is my weekend project to learn.

Thanks!
Based on your question, Singletons, AppDelegates and top-level data looks like a good read.

For more put the following into Google: using singleton cocoa

Instance variables are global to an object, yes. It's that scope thing you mentioned.

Sometimes you'll find a variable defined above the @interface. Those variables are global but typically considered class variables.

For some more check out Objective-C Variable Scope and Storage Class.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3
larswik
macrumors 65816

Cool, thanks for the links. I will read up on them.

So instance variables are also know as global variables, to that object. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by larswik View Post
So instance variables are also know as global variables, to that object.
Yes, but nobody refers to them as global to the object because global indicates more than that. People refer to them as instance variables, or ivars in short form.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
larswik
macrumors 65816

Cool. Thank you.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming