Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1
chrf097
macrumors 68030

The Top 5 things iOS 6 NEEDS to have (That you probably didn't think of)

5. Quick Reply on Notifications

You're sitting there, playing Angry Birds on your iPhone or watching a movie on your iPad, when all the sudden you start getting in a Messages conversation, or a Facebook Messenger Group Chat, or a ChatON chat about where you and your buddies are going to meet. You're constantly switching between your apps just to send simple messages! With a new Quick Reply API added into iOS, now you can easily message back straight from the notification center; no need to constantly switch apps.

4. Integrate Facebook

You've integrated Twitter, so why not integrate Facebook. Allow Facebook (as well as Twitter) updates from Siri, allow direct photo uploads, even allow us to share things we come upon while on the internet, or share our favorite song from the Music app. Think of all the possibilities that Facebook integration into iOS can bring!

3. Make the Messages app an Aggregator

The New Messages app not only supports SMS and iMessage, but now you can get MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Facebook chat right through messages. Each provider has it's own little icon so you never forget which service you're using. Windows Phone did it, so can you Apple!

2. Data Management Utilities

Not everyone has unlimited data on their phone. Digging through to the "Usage" menu isn't convenient either. By adding easier access to see how much data you've consumed, you can help save people from going over. You can even add the option to warn when you're about to go over your data cap and set your monthly cycle so the iPhone or iPad easily knows when to reset for that month.

1. Accessible quick-toggles in the Multitasking bar

Turning on/off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, on/off 3G. Easy access to quick settings without opening the Settings app. Integrates perfectly with the Multitasking bar.

So what do you guys think? Like my ideas?

chrf097 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

I think these are great ideas.

I really want a quick reply system because I hate having to jump out of an app and then manually go back to the app I was in. It just feels discontinuous.

Quick toggles are also something that would be cool. I wonder if the multitask area would be the best place though. Unlike the iPad, there's not much space there and you would have to swipe 3 times to get to toggles assuming the music player and volume widgets are still there.

Facebook integration would be great for some, but I don't really care.

Data management isn't an issue for me since I essentially have an unlimited plan, but for people who have 500mb a month, it would be great. Some of my friends turn off iMessage because they don't want to waste data ==
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3
cocky jeremy
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to cocky jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to cocky jeremy
I dig 3, 4, 5. Number one, i can do via multiple jailbreak tweaks, so i'm not too worried about that. Number two i'm not worried about because i have unlimited data through Sprint. I'd like a "Downloads" folder so we can store/share files between all apps.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
irDigital0l

1. Maps: Turn-by-turn directions with Siri, 3D maps, Compass integration
2. GameCenter: New profile page, online/offline friend's list, messages, Game Store
3. Camera: Face unlock, Panorama mode, Timer & Burst options, Photobooth for iPhone
4. Notification Center: Spotlight integration, additional widgets, swipe to delete, iCloud sync
5. Safari: Full screen browsing, swipe to refresh page, grid layout for current tabs & top sites
irDigital0l is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

For me, the number one thing that wasn't mentioned here is better maps. Stock maps are bad. I don;t want to pay $50+ for a navigation app. I want what the other mobile OS's have: a free feature rich turn by turn navigation program. That said, I do enjoy the way google maps currently works if you are walking/using public transit, so I would hope they don't get rid of that, but rather add to it.

FWIW there is a jailbreak for most of what is mentioned here. The best way to show Apple what you want (IMO) is to jailbreak and install those tweaks. This is an incredibly easy way for Apple to see what features people are jailbreaking for. We have already seen plenty of features that were previously jailbreak only implemented with every major release of iOS.

Last edited by annk; Jul 23, 2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Clean-up due to removal of trolling posts
lordofthereef is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Mr Aussie
macrumors member

Exclamation We Need this

I like all of those ideas even though all the ideas you can get with jailbreak but apple would most lightly do it better.

Apple are stupid there have not added blocking people they need to add that.
Mr Aussie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:51 PM   #7
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky jeremy View Post
I dig 3, 4, 5. Number one, i can do via multiple jailbreak tweaks, so i'm not too worried about that. Number two i'm not worried about because i have unlimited data through Sprint. I'd like a "Downloads" folder so we can store/share files between all apps.
I'd like to not have to jailbreak my phone to get those things though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I think everything mentioned here could be useful to various users. Ignorant statements like "I don;t use this so I don;t care" make me laugh. If Apple was in the market of making ultra custom phones for each of their users, that might fly. Until then, it's useful to think about everyone else out there.

For me, the number one thing that wasn't mentioned here is better maps. Stock maps are bad. I don;t want to pay $50+ for a navigation app. I want what the other mobile OS's have: a free feature rich turn by turn navigation program. That said, I do enjoy the way google maps currently works if you are walking/using public transit, so I would hope they don't get rid of that, but rather add to it.

FWIW there is a jailbreak for most of what is mentioned here. The best way to show Apple what you want (IMO) is to jailbreak and install those tweaks. This is an incredibly easy way for Apple to see what features people are jailbreaking for. We have already seen plenty of features that were previously jailbreak only implemented with every major release of iOS.
While I agree the stock Maps app is poor, the best £40 I spent was on TomTom in January. You can't beat a dedicated, proper Sat Nav app with full support from a big manufacturer.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Mochi Hana
macrumors 6502a

I like 1,2, and 3. I also want the ability to set a different app as the default so a web link will open in, say, Atomic Web Browser instead of Safari. Being able to stick Newsstand into a folder or getting rid of it altogether would be nice as well.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:13 PM   #9
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

There is only feature that I really want...sound profiles.

I want to be able to set sounds for different times of the day, different settings, etc...
BlendedFrog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:24 AM   #10
wally.waldo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendedFrog View Post
There is only feature that I really want...sound profiles.

I want to be able to set sounds for different times of the day, different settings, etc...
Could not agree more! nothing more annoying that having an email/text message etc wake you up in the middle of the night. But you don't always want your phone to be on silent. The majority of the time my phone is on silent is when i go to sleep but its easy to forgot to switch the phone off silent in the morning resulting in missed calls/texts. Should be able to easily set a general rule for when the phone should be silent or loud that can be overridden by the switch on the side of the phone.
wally.waldo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Any thoughts on what iOS 6 will have that Android doesn't? I really feel they need to raise the bar with iOS 6. And not just come out with features Android already has (like widgets). I agree with most of the things others have already mentioned. I'd love it if Siri was more integrated and could control more settings like changing the backlighting or turning wi-fi on and off.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:36 AM   #12
healage
macrumors newbie

iOS absolutely needs notification icons in the status bar... Can't believe it hasn't been done yet
healage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #13
PatrickW98
macrumors 6502

FaceTime

We need a feature to FaceTime with multiply people at once. :U
Old May 9, 2012, 12:19 PM   #14
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW98 View Post
We need a feature to FaceTime with multiply people at once. :U
In all honesty I don't think I have ever used facetime. Skype is 100% better then it in every fashion.
BlendedFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:16 PM   #15
kiwiboi87
macrumors 6502

im all for having Facebook Integrated into the OS, but i hope they fix twitter as well, I'm still always having to input my password and user name.

i think game center has reached its peak on IOS so to speak, profiles could be fun. but a little silly on iPhones, iPad yeah that would be good.

i would love to see a usage meter for the battery, like on android. would love to know whats draining it...
there are a few good apps to use data usage,and they work well. only issue with adding one to the OS, wouldn't it pick up on our wifi usage?

would love to have photo booth on the iPhone, i love it on my mac, and it will be fun to have it on my phone.

bigger folders would be wicked, i have 3 folders for games, and its pain if I'm trying to find a game quick,
Old May 8, 2012, 09:35 PM   #16
newdeal
macrumors 68000

One thing that desparately needs changing is the settings app. Far too many nested menus and stuff hidden in random spots (bluetooth under general yet there are wifi and network tabs. Battery percent switch under usage). Its become worse than windows control panel.
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #17
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post

You're sitting there, playing Angry Birds on your iPhone or watching a movie on your iPad, when all the sudden you start getting in a Messages conversation, or a Facebook Messenger Group Chat, or a ChatON chat about where you and your buddies are going to meet. You're constantly switching between your apps just to send simple messages! With a new Quick Reply API added into iOS, now you can easily message back straight from the notification center; no need to constantly switch apps.

4. Integrate Facebook

You've integrated Twitter, so why not integrate Facebook. Allow Facebook (as well as Twitter) updates from Siri, allow direct photo uploads, even allow us to share things we come upon while on the internet, or share our favorite song from the Music app. Think of all the possibilities that Facebook integration into iOS can bring!

The New Messages app not only supports SMS and iMessage, but now you can get MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Facebook chat right through messages. Each provider has it's own little icon so you never forget which service you're using. Windows Phone did it, so can you Apple!

Not everyone has unlimited data on their phone. Digging through to the "Usage" menu isn't convenient either. By adding easier access to see how much data you've consumed, you can help save people from going over. You can even add the option to warn when you're about to go over your data cap and set your monthly cycle so the iPhone or iPad easily knows when to reset for that month.

Turning on/off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, on/off 3G. Easy access to quick settings without opening the Settings app. Integrates perfectly with the Multitasking bar.

1) A QuickReply API would not be needed. API's are for developers to add things, i.e Game Center or AirPlay or AirPrint to their apps. All iOS would need to do is tell the app that the game will be interrupted. It already does this when a call comes in or when you close the app.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:28 PM   #18
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
1) A QuickReply API would not be needed. API's are for developers to add things, i.e Game Center or AirPlay or AirPrint to their apps. All iOS would need to do is tell the app that the game will be interrupted. It already does this when a call comes in or when you close the app.
The API would be for other messaging apps to quick reply
chrf097 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:26 AM   #19
CrzyCanuck72
macrumors 6502a

All great ideas, and all currently possible (except using Messages for multiple services) through jailbreak tweaks. It'd be nice to have them as native features, though.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:49 AM   #20
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:

4. Integrate Facebook
Quick reply is NEEDED, this in my opinion should be number one. This is probably my favourite thing about having my phone jailbroken.

Facebook integration, meh.. I don't care, I have facebook but don't post. I don't see the point.

I can't see them ever adding msn, etc support. I'm surprised people in use these still. Facebook chat, yeah fair enough. I have my FB app for that though. Not a big deal for me.

Data management would help, I get unlimited anyway so don't care.

The quick toggles should be in the notifcations menu not the MT bar, as it is with Android and sbsettings.

What do I think is NEEDED?

Bigger folders, let us scroll through them so I don't need 3 folders for my games (I jailbreak for this)

While I think it would be extremely complicated to introduce, password protection on apps (photos more specifically). I can do this with jailbreaking but there's no stopping someone open a image application and accessing my images that way. People are always asking to go on my iPad, if I could lock them out of things such as photos/videos/etc I would be comfortable with letting them go on it.

Those are the only two things what come to mind, facial recognition unlocking doesn't sound that good to me unless it is quick (surely it can't be quicker then me typing in my password...) And it's not needed its more of a show off thing in my opinion.
oli356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:03 AM   #21
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

A real file system and a logical, "computer-like" way to access it.
hakr100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:07 AM   #22
Markyboy81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli356 View Post

The quick toggles should be in the notifcations menu not the MT bar, as it is with Android and sbsettings.
Agreed this would be a great place for them. Ideally I'd want wifi, 3G on/off, mobile data and Bluetooth included as I'm forever toggling these.
Markyboy81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:02 AM   #23
coconutxyz
macrumors member

statusbar notification icons
coconutxyz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #24
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

4. Integrate Facebook

A lot of people throw a lot of ideas around on this site that are pretty out there but I can't find anything I wouldn't like about this list (with the addition of statusbar notifications so you even know you have a message to reply to).

Like it or not jailbreaks are drying up so the more we can get into the native iOS the better.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:11 AM   #25
mortenandersen
macrumors 6502

3 more things one usually does not think of, but still are important

1. Easy access to different profiles (ringtone on/off, also to be set or pre-set by time)

2. Possibility to pre-set send-time for SMS and e-mails.

3. Forward Delete key at least for external BT keyboards (if such support is missing today)
mortenandersen is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier