Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Hi all,

I'm a little surprised at theme of the vitriol I've found on the 'net for my latest acquisition:

http://68kmla.org/wiki/Macintosh_Quadra_650 says:

"Having taken the case from the IIvi may have certainly given the 650 the expansion options that were so desperately needed but it also re-introduced one of the most loathed cases in the history of the Mac. "

While some on vintage.macs in 2003 did not consider it a real "Vintage Mac":

"The Quadra is an off topic machine for this list.

A Quadra? Where is the fun in an ugly little quadra? You should get a IIci or a IIfx. :)"

While it's true that I bought mine for a purpose, and that I wan't specifically looking for one, I do have fond memories of the Q650, because I had one at work for several years in the 90s. I remember it as a very capable computer, and that it was much faster than the miserable PowerMac 6100s that we bought later on, because we couldn't get the Quadras anymore. It certainly never occurred to me that that it was particularly ugly either. . .

Is it still considered an ugly duckling, or has time made people's hearts grow fonder? ;)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I think they're just having a little fun. There's no right or wrong when it comes to collecting. A lot of people collect because of nostalgia. For example I grew up with a IIcx, which makes me value that machine far more than a IIci, even if the latter is technically a superior machine. To me, that's what makes collecting so cool. But I expect to get a little good natured teasing about my love for the IIcx! :)

If you like the 650 - more power to you!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I thinks it's people's personal opinions. As a repairer, I can pick holes with every case design of the era. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, I liked the metal design of the IIvx/ Centris / Quadra 650 / PowerMac 7100. The case was certainly sturdier than it's later all plastic counterparts. They were also the first case to be able to fit an internal CD-ROM.

From a technician's point of view, they were loathed due to some of the sharp edges on some of the interior metal parts, and I sliced a finger or two in it's day on these cases. They were otherwise very easy to work on and IMHO had the best sounding internal speaker. :)

However, although the Quadra 840AV/ PowerMac 8100/ PowerMac 8500 were considered impressive by some, they were a pain for fitting RAM and diagnosing the motherboard.

The IIci/ IIcx/ Quadra 700 were nice designs, but IIRC upgrading RAM & VRAM on the Quadra 700, the battery on the IIci & IIcx required removing the PSU, hard drive & floppy drive mounting assembly.

But really, I'm nit-picking. ;)

Like dmr727 says, I think it comes down to where you're appreciation of different case designs come from, and whether you look at it from the point of view of end user, upgrader, or repairer.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Hi all,

I'm a little surprised at theme of the vitriol I've found on the 'net for my latest acquisition:

http://68kmla.org/wiki/Macintosh_Quadra_650 says:

While some on vintage.macs in 2003 did not consider it a real "Vintage Mac":

I'm not surprised.

Sadly many people come to forums just to vent their anger, spew venom, and act like they know it all.

I bought a brand new Quadra 650 when they were released, it was a very good desktop. I enjoyed it for quite some time before upgrading to my next Mac.

I've enjoyed every PowerBook / Desktop / MacBook Pro / and other Macs I've had since 1991 .

If you enjoy it, like I enjoyed mine, that's all that matters. :)

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I'm not surprised.

Sadly many people come to forums just to vent their anger, spew venom, and act like they know it all.

I bought a brand new Quadra 650 when they were released, it was a very good desktop. I enjoyed it for quite some time before upgrading to my next Mac.

I've enjoyed every PowerBook / Desktop / MacBook Pro / and other Macs I've had since 1991 .

If you enjoy it, like I enjoyed mine, that's all that matters. :)

It may or may not be ugly, but it certainly fits the purpose that I bought it for. It connects to the Internet (and is able to download files at approx 200k/s), connects to my zip drive (and boots from it) and acts as a perfect bridge between the modern world and my even older Mac Plus.

D.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It may or may not be ugly, but it certainly fits the purpose that I bought it for. It connects to the Internet (and is able to download files at approx 200k/s), connects to my zip drive (and boots from it) and acts as a perfect bridge between the modern world and my even older Mac Plus.

D.

True confessions: My pet peeves?

- Calling an inanimate object like an iPhone, iPad or MacBook "sexy".
- Those who care more about what it "looks like" just sitting there, as opposed to how it actually fills their needs.
- ex: Threads that go on and on about those who want a black bezel around the MBP with Glass as opposed to a matching aluminum bezel and a highly useful, anti-glare display.

You'd think they bought it to make love to it....:eek:

I do appreciate nice design, but never is that so high on my priority list, that it factors into my buying decisions.

My Macs are the tools I do my engineering work with. I really don't care how attractive they are, it's all a matter of what I can *accomplish* with them.

Cheers... :)

hantsbay

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Hampshire, UK
A lovely little machine :) hope you have lots of fun with it!

I don't see why this should be singled out as 'ugly'? I had two IIci's and I always thought they were fairly monstrous. They were also the only two Macs I had that spontaneously died!

Ahh, makes me want to dig all my old 68k's and PowerPCs out of the attic! :D Which reminds me, I'm sure I have a Quadra 840AV somewhere to add to the sig...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.