Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I have an airport extreme and express. I use the express to extend my network on the top floor because my extreme is in a wiring closet in the basement.

I have had random issues over the time I got the express with my Apple TV 2s in the house dropping connectivity (just home sharing, they can still access netflix). It tends to happen in "batches" and after a recent batch of issues, I narrowed it down with troubleshooting.

See, resetting the ATV and restarting iTunes will always allow me to restart the movie, but quite a bit of the time the movie will drop again and again once the issue is established. But in those cases where it drops repeatedly, if I log into the airport utility and reboot JUST the Express, it always fixes the problem for longer period.

So, something the Express is doing is horking up my network but only in a way that impacts home sharing and not internet/network connectivity on the whole.

Ideas?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
If you are extending an existing network, be sure you set the wireless channel of each unit to a different frequency.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I don't think that's how it works. I just checked the settings and if you have the airport express set to extend a wireless network, you can't change the channel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.