Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

[WW] Quick + Simple - Game Over, Villagers Win

Ok now, I guess I'll take my turn at hosting a [WW] game.

Hopefully, we can get a quick game going, and then have a more complicated game when the Evil Mansion game is over.

For this game, I'm not going to have any narratives, as my ability to come up with creative stories is severly lacking... , and it'll give a few "unnamed users" a chance to get better at the game. For a good explanation of the game, I like to refer to Firestars post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar View Post
GAME ROLES:
THE GOOD GUYS:
Hunter: The Hunter can pick a player to protect every night against werewolf attacks. However, the Hunter cannot protect the same player two nights in a row, and cannot protect him/herself. The protection does extend into the daytime, meaning the Hunter can protect a villager from a Kamikaze Werewolf attack. However, the hunter does not protect against infections, but can be infected.

Seer: The Seer can find the true role of any ALIVE player.

Villager: The villager is the average person, no special abilities.

Neighborhood Watch: Two/three villagers that can exchange PMs with one another. Their members can be infected and they cannot recruit additional members. They have no decisions to PM to me. What they discuss is up to them.

Undertaker: The Undertaker can find the true role of any dead player.
THE BAD GUYS:
The Werewolves: Werewolves can PM each other. They pick one villager to eat per night. There are three kinds of werewolves;

a) Alpha Wolf, can at any time during the game, pick one villager to infect. This will convert the villager into a normal werewolf (no special abilities) and join the werewolves' team. The infection is effective against specials such as the Seer.

b) Kamikaze Werewolf has the ability to pick any one villager to kill during his lynching. In other words, if he is voted to be hanged, he will take one villager with him.

c) The normal Werewolf has no powers.
Miscellaneous:
a) Villagers can NOT PM each other. (exception: neighborhood watch members)

b) Werewolves CAN PM each other.

c) Players can edit their posts during the game is in progress, however if you edit your post, you MUST give an explanation of why/what you edited.

d) Dead players are allowed to post as much or as often as they want. But they must make all of there posts in the colour gray. The posts are also not allowed to influence the game in any way. If you are unsure of a post topic, don't post it. Good posts are along the lines of "Good job villagers!". A bad post would be: "I think Bob is a wolf." If people start posting things that could influence the game, I will ask them to edit the post to remove the offending text then reinstate the jav rule.

e) Voting for lynching will close 24 hours after day has started,[b] or when majority lock is reached.[b] (Unless stated otherwise.)

f) Voting can only take place in the daytime. Any votes made during the night will not be counted.

g) For clarity, when you vote, bold the name of the player you're voting for. This alleviates confusion and makes it easier for me to count the votes. You can also play with this - "I really like Bob, he's a great guy" counts as a vote for Bob You can jokingly vote by not bolding the name - it will not be counted.

h) You can retract and change your vote at any time up to the close of the vote.

i) The game will begin at DAYTIME, the days are 24 hours, unless a Majority Lock is reached. The person with the most votes will be lynched at that time. I also remind you that the villagers can agree to not lynch anyone with a unanimous vote.

j) There will be a TIME LIMIT of 24 hours for Specials to send in their PMs. The time limit will be 24 hours after the posting of the lynching. (NOT after the voting closes). Please remember that you can pre-PM these actions at the start of the day preceding the night in question. You can change this action up until the next morning. If I receive all the needed PMs before the end of the 24 hour time limit, the night will be shortened and the next day will start. Lets keep nights as short as possible. At 12 hours I'll try and remind you to get your actions in. At 24 hours, we'll just move on.

You must vote for a person today (the first day). No-votes are ok after today(the first day). Voting is MANDATORY everyday.

k) I will post special results as soon as I am online and have them all. Thus, it is highly recommended that you set your profile to invisible mode so that other posters cannot view your login activity to see if you were online in the period between lynching and special results.

l) This question has came up in the discussion, so here is the turn order during the night:
Werewolf infects
Seer scans;
Hunter protects;
Werewolves attack.

m) It is recommended that the players put their status into Invisible Mode.
I’d like to have 12 players, but if more people want to play, we can add players as needed.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me or ask in the thread. Previous Game Gods, if you have suggestions for me, again, please let me know.

The Players:

1) appleguy123
2) -aggie-
3) Scepticalscribe
4) Koodauw
5) Sythas
6) Tomorrow
7) Queen of Spades
8) Moyank24
9) Rick snagwell
10) Don't panic
11) Plutonius
12) Firestar
13)
14)
15)

Here we go!

Last edited by Comeagain?; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Comeagain? is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:22 AM   #2
appleguy123
macrumors 603

In
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:48 AM   #3
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
In
I approve of the change IN avatar.

Now that I'm in, everyone can sign in now.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Well done, Comeagain? - and thank you for taking up the challenge of running a game, and playing GG.

Although I'm involved in the EM world, the pace in the mansion is rather different; for here and now, I'm in.....
Scepticalscribe is offline   1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Ineed some excitement as well.
Koodauw is offline   1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Sythas
macrumors 6502

I don't want to take anyone's place but I would like to try it! so... i'm in ?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
can we have the night deadline back at 12 hours instead of 24 (the extra 12 hours are, IMO, a complete waste of time, even 12 hours seem to be on the long side of things, but hopefully they'll coincide with night-time)?

i would also strongly recommend that you re-instate mandatory voting (as in, people who don't vote are 'lost in the woods' and eliminated; an official "no-vote" instead of voting a player is ok).
everyone keeps complaining (with some reason) about people not participating.
I'd like to move the deadline, but as has been pointed out, we have two people in Europe (probably one in NZ), as well as different time zones within the US. It just isn't practice. I will, however, say that if we reach 24 hours of night, we will move on with the game.

Yes, I'd like to add that. I'll update the first post.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Ok, I've made some changes. Most notably,
>Nights will last no longer then 24 hours, with a warning 12 hours in.
>Days will last either until we have everyone's vote, or 24 hours.
>You MUST vote for a person. You must vote. If you don't participate, then it ruins the game for the rest of us.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:45 AM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
>You MUST vote for a person. You must vote. If you don't participate, then it ruins the game for the rest of us.
No-voting is not participating.

Edit: You deleted the no-vote stuff. Good.

Last edited by -aggie-; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
-aggie- is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Agree completely. That sounds very good, and should work pretty well.
Good. I couldnt tell if you were agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Maybe after a few rounds I'll try another more complicated one with different roles. I've had a few ideas.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
I completely disagree with disallowing a "no vote." Contrary to what others think, a no vote is a desicion, and a very strategic one at that. I've used it plenty of times in the past with good results (for me), and I've never been a bad guy.

If you really think it's all about being spineless and unwilling to make a decision, you don't understand the game as well as you think you do.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I completely disagree with disallowing a "no vote." Contrary to what others think, a no vote is a desicion, and a very strategic one at that. I've used it plenty of times in the past with good results (for me), and I've never been a bad guy.

If you really think it's all about being spineless and unwilling to make a decision, you don't understand the game as well as you think you do.
Well, let's all do this for the first two days. Great fun.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
Well, let's all do this for the first two days. Great fun.
So force everyone to vote for a person on day 1... But used sparingly (which it generally is) a no-vote is useful.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #14
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
So force everyone to vote for a person on day 1... But used sparingly (which it generally is) a no-vote is useful.
I have no problem with it being used sparingly. The fact is, when it's allowed, the same posters do it for the first few days. It gets old.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

well, at least is a step on the right direction.

i don't particularly like the "no-vote" option, and never use it, but i do agree with tomorrow that it is indeed a form of participation and a tactical move (albeit a poor one in my opinion).
What we want to avoid is people disappearing for days and no participating at all. By writing no-vote one is participating in the sense that they are telling everyone that they are following the game and their not voting for anyone is an 'active' choice. it's not really hiding and it can attract votes in itself
it's no different then an unjustified 'don't panic" vote (which everyone should agree is a much worse tactical decision )

on the deadlines, the 24 hours night is what we had in the last game, and they were endless.
I disagree that 12 hours is unfair to anyone (europeans or else), for various reasons:

- most night decision can and should be done ahead off time. there is usually little occurring at the end, and in most cases it wouldn't affect a night order or it can be easily taken in account (consider that night order can be conditional: for example, if I am the seer i can say I will scan X, but if x is dead i will scan Y). and they can always be changed if needed.

- 12 hours means that -independent of the timezone- there will be several hours corresponding to what i see as a reasonable window for activity (7 am to midnight). even in the worst case scenario it still leaves plenty of time to send a quick PM, if it wasn't done ahead of time.
for example if the night was from 20:00 (pm) to 8:00 (am) EST, it means that in europe would be from 02:00 (am) to 14:00 (pm) am. people in the us can send the PM at night, in europe in the morning.
as far as communications, i have played pretty much any role, and i did team up with player from other areas and you can always work out some reasonable system, especially if you don't wait the last minute but discuss possible scenarios beforehand.

- even considering that some deadlines favour people in some areas, the deadline varies in terms of when exactly it occurs, so in some case the night will fall during the european real night, in other during the america real night. so it can :favour' different time-zones in different nights. not to mention that for some players the night might be better then the day for posting.

in other words, although i agree that a 24 hours night is the 'fairest' condition, because everyone is equally affected, it is also unnecessary long and the drawback of a 12 hours night are minimal to everyone (IMO) and easily worked out, with great benefit to all.

that said, i'll obviously do whatever comeagain? decides.

-------
EDIT:

comegain, i re-read the OP and now it reads

i) The game will begin at DAYTIME, the days are 24 hours unless everyone has voted.

this implies that the day ends when everyone has vote, which i am sure it's not the intention.
there are two end of day system that work
deadline. the day ends at a specified time. votes can be changed at any time before the deadline
majority lock. the day ends when an absolute majority is reached. after the majority is reached, votes cannot be changed, anymore.

the two can be combined (whichever comes first counts). the combo option is the 'fastest' system.
note that if you decide to use the 'majority lock' (alone or in combination), the 'lost in the woods' should not apply whenever the deadline is not reached

Last edited by Don't panic; Apr 25, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Don't panic is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:28 AM   #16
Sythas
macrumors 6502

Let's start a bandwagon please ... Moyank24
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

I'm considering joining, because I like forcing the idea of forcing more participation. However, I'll be traveling a bit next week, which means I might not be able to post as much. Decisions, decisions...

-----
Edit: I also disagree with not letting an explicit no-vote count as a vote. Perhaps you could enforce a rule, like no more than two days in a row, or fewer than 2 times in 5 days or something, but I agree with Tomorrow that a no-vote definitely is making a decision.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:41 PM   #18
macbook pro i5
Banned

im in please
macbook pro i5 is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:43 PM   #19
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook pro i5 View Post
im in please
the game already started?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:45 PM   #20
macbook pro i5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
the game already started?
Oh no! when I got his PM I was in college can you make another one as soon as this one ends and automatically enroll me?

BTW this is a message to the OP.
macbook pro i5 is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:50 PM   #21
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook pro i5 View Post
im in please
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ous/behind.jpg

also, Koodauw.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:56 PM   #22
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Huh...

I see what your saying DP, and I partly agree, I don't want to end up with incomplete actions that night because someone couldn't get to a computer in time. Like I said, 24 hours is the longest I will let night go. Sorry DP, but more people seem to be in favor of the longer allowed nights.

For the voting participation, would it be better to do something like, "you must vote for someone on the first day, and then for the remaining time, you can only no-vote twice" or just "you get three no-votes, use them wisely."? I'm in favor of the former, simply because so many people don't want to do anything on the first day, and this will help make sure they do. It makes it more interesting. Can we compromise?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:10 PM   #23
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Huh...

I see what your saying DP, and I partly agree, I don't want to end up with incomplete actions that night because someone couldn't get to a computer in time. Like I said, 24 hours is the longest I will let night go. Sorry DP, but more people seem to be in favor of the longer allowed nights.

For the voting participation, would it be better to do something like, "you must vote for someone on the first day, and then for the remaining time, you can only no-vote twice" or just "you get three no-votes, use them wisely."? I'm in favor of the former, simply because so many people don't want to do anything on the first day, and this will help make sure they do. It makes it more interesting. Can we compromise?
it's fine comeagain, i was just stating my opinions, but as i said i will play by any rules, as long as they are clear.

for the no-vote, it's a false problem in my opinion. it will not be abused, because most people do not use it in the first place, and as Scepticalscribe said, it draws attention to whoever uses it too much, so it's not a good repeat move.
it can be used, for example at the beginning of the day as a place holder, before an opinion is formed, to be changed alter on (but to ensure you don't die if, for whatever reson you can't come on line)

also consider that the way we played before, a majority of explicit "no-votes" means that no one gets lynched that night, which greatly favours the wolves. (another reason no-votes should be used sparingly and are often viewed with suspicion)

i would keep it simple: if by the time deadline you don't have a valid vote (including a bolded no-vote), you are dead.
again, do as you wish, since you are the game-god, but don't give yourself unnecessary headaches (like counting everyone's posts)
Don't panic is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:13 PM   #24
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Also, if you refer to me as having a schlong, you automatically die.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:26 PM   #25
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Also, if you refer to me as having a schlong, you automatically die.
If you tell me how big my schlong is, I automatically don't vote for you.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Tags
comeagain?, game, [ww]