Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:10 AM   #1
rdubmu
macrumors newbie

So many Open (windows) hard to navigate between them

Hello everyone,

I am new to the mac, I am having trouble with trying to be productive. I have a lot of different windows open while I am doing work/school. I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.

What is the easiest way to beable to switch apps. I am having a hard time trying to find open apps (windows) that are behind each other.

I have a iMac with both a magic mouse and trackpad.

Last edited by rdubmu; Apr 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
rdubmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:36 AM   #2
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Try mission control under f3 or bij double tapping your magic mouse with two fingers. This will give you an overview of everything running on your Mac. By pressing ctrl+f3 you see only the windows of the foreground app. I'm not sure how to see that with the magic mouse though.

You can also see all the windows of a current app by clicking and holding on that app in the dock I believe
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:51 AM   #3
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to the mac, I am having trouble with trying to be productive. I have a lot of different windows open while I am doing work/school. I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.

What is the easiest way to beable to switch apps. I am having a hard time trying to find open apps (windows) that are behind each other.

I use http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/Hyperdock which gives you the same type of thumbnails like Windows.

You can also try Dockview. I haven't tried it yet so can't tell you anything about it. http://kapeli.com/dockview/
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:35 AM   #4
samh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if these are default settings, but on my MacBook Pro running Lion, I can swipe up with 3 fingers to get a Mission Control overview of all open Apps and if I swipe down with 3 fingers I get an overview of all windows for the current App.

You may also want to try using different "spaces" -- there are lots of demos around including on Apple's website. I find that having a few related apps in their own space sometimes helps me avoid distraction.
samh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020

I've been using command-tab.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
tkermit
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.
On the Mac, you can double-tap with two fingers (or just one finger with the Magic Mouse, I think) on Dock icons or four-finger-swipe downwards over them to see an app's open windows. While you're in that 'App Exposť' view, you can click on other icons for apps in the Dock to see what windows they have open.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:50 AM   #7
rdubmu
macrumors newbie

3 finger swipe up

3 Finger Swipe up, how do I get to do this on the magic mouse?

I guess this this best thing for me right now as it groups apps of the same kind together. Still doesn't help if I have more than one window open for chrome for example. It just groups them together. I could use tabed browsing but sometimes I don't. If I am working on something for school but want to go back to it later then I usually just open a new window...

I can't believe I miss windows for my desktop. The task bar is what I miss the most besides (onenote)... I am going to try those other apps which are mentioned above regarding to the dock

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
I use http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/Hyperdock which gives you the same type of thumbnails like Windows.

You can also try Dockview. I haven't tried it yet so can't tell you anything about it. http://kapeli.com/dockview/
Hyperdock is exactly what I was looking for. I get a free trial and then decide if I want to pay for the app store version or homepage version.

Thank you for the help
rdubmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

I use Command + tilde to cycle through windows in one app.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:55 AM   #9
samh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
3 Finger Swipe up, how do I get to do this on the magic mouse?

I guess this this best thing for me right now as it groups apps of the same kind together. Still doesn't help if I have more than one window open for chrome for example. It just groups them together. I could use tabed browsing but sometimes I don't. If I am working on something for school but want to go back to it later then I usually just open a new window...

I can't believe I miss windows for my desktop. The task bar is what I miss the most besides (onenote)... I am going to try those other apps which are mentioned above regarding to the dock

----------

Hyperdock is exactly what I was looking for. I get a free trial and then decide if I want to pay for the app store version or homepage version.

Thank you for the help
I miss this functionality, too. I'm not sure if MS has a patent on it? Well, anyway, there is one other thing you can do that I forgot about. You can click and hold on a dock icon and it will bring up all the windows for that app. Sort of what a 3-finger or 4-finger swipe (depending on your gestures configuration) will do for the *current* app.
samh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help