Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Oblivion2500
macrumors newbie

More New Features coming for ML?

Is there going to be more features coming to Mountain Lion before it comes out? All I see is a few new softwares and iCloud+Twitter support. (about 20 new features).
Oblivion2500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

I hope so. Most of the things they have added on just means more boxes to uncheck after I install the OS.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:34 AM   #3
throAU
macrumors 68030

I expect some sort of filesystem announcement. Lion included core storage, Mountain Lion is due to do something to fix/replace HFS imho.

Given the ZFS files found in iOS recently, i hope it is ZFS related
throAU is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
McKs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
I expect some sort of filesystem announcement. Lion included core storage, Mountain Lion is due to do something to fix/replace HFS imho.

no chance of that, imo. That needs loads of testing and would've shown in the dp builds by now.
McKs is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKs View Post
no chance of that, imo. That needs loads of testing and would've shown in the dp builds by now.
Indeed, and it won't be ZFS when they do revise the FS.
Cougarcat is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKs View Post
You're probably right but i still hope.

ZFS has been tested in both Solaris and FreeBSD for about 10 years now, the filesystem itself is stable, and the code is in IOS.

My thinking was that with the recent Intel chipsets that can use flash as hard drive cache, ZFS would be ideal as it has built in support for caching to SSD.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:19 PM   #7
afin
macrumors member

Quote:

I have hopes for the next the next version after ML, but doubt it will be zfs.
afin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #8
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:

Since Apple's aims as of recently have been to do nothing but make the filesystem redundant to the user, I doubt they'll be even considering this.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Since Apple's aims as of recently have been to do nothing but make the filesystem redundant to the user, I doubt they'll be even considering this.
Making the filesystem transparent to the user doesn't mean they can get rid of it underneath.
throAU is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
blow45
Banned

Quote:
Making the filesystem transparent to the user doesn't mean they can get rid of it underneath.
Excellent point, but I think you meant making the file system non transparent to the end user doesn't mean they can get rid of it underneath.
blow45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:07 AM   #11
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
True. But I still doubt it'll be done. New OS X features are becoming like new iOS features. All looks but no trousers. Something flashy and shiney and potentially useful to the user, but no refinement underneath. Or at least that is the way they're being advertised. All the under-the-hood stuff is rarely mentioned by Apple.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
blow45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
Is there going to be more features coming to Mountain Lion before it comes out? All I see is a few new softwares and iCloud+Twitter support. (about 20 new features).
I hope not, I hope they start working on on refining the code and fixing the many issues of lion. Lion is broken, safari memory leaks, preview crashes, smb shares work poorly, page in and outs happen frequently for no reason, memory takes too long to be released, and it seems apple has stop putting due care in making a robust and reliable os, the last one being sl, and just started slapping one flashy feature on top of the other. No wonder almost all the pros have not switched to lion. Like I said lion is broken and it's sad to see mountain lion rushed to the market to meet windows 8 without its predecesors problems being adressed.
blow45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:53 AM   #13
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Yes,
from Daring Fireball's Mountain Lion Briefing.

Quote:
There are many new features, I’m told, but today they’re going to focus on telling me about ten of them.
Not mention feature 11 made public by the LLVM team.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:53 AM   #14
blow45
Banned

Quote:
“We’re starting to do some things differently,” Phil Schiller said to me.

We were sitting in a comfortable hotel suite in Manhattan just over a week ago. I’d been summoned a few days earlier by Apple PR with the offer of a private “product briefing”. I had no idea heading into the meeting what it was about. I had no idea how it would be conducted. This was new territory for me, and I think, for Apple.
Gruber's arch kissing and his sense importance about apple is pathetic, you think he's about to be debriefed by mi5 and sent to Lagos to hunt for counter spies for drugs and arms smuggling. What an absolute tool.
blow45 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:08 AM   #15
mastedar
macrumors newbie

true. Lion as a whole OS is a piece of sh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
I hope not, I hope they start working on on refining the code and fixing the many issues of lion. Lion is broken, safari memory leaks, preview crashes, smb shares work poorly, page in and outs happen frequently for no reason, memory takes too long to be released, and it seems apple has stop putting due care in making a robust and reliable os, the last one being sl, and just started slapping one flashy feature on top of the other. No wonder almost all the pros have not switched to lion. Like I said lion is broken and it's sad to see mountain lion rushed to the market to meet windows 8 without its predecesors problems being adressed.
It's SLOW, no wait, it's SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. Comparing to Windows it's like Millennium or first version of 98. If Appl€ don't change it's "different thinking" I just move back to linux.
mastedar is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Knara
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
He probably isn't. In fact, I don't really like Lion at all, I also have bashed it constantly (and even set up a blog just to highlight all its faults). But I still love Apple; that is not going to change. Just he doesn't like something and his reasons aren't compelling doesn't mean he is paid by someone.
For me, Lion is akin to Vista. After a few service packs, it runs well enough, but it wasn't as well ironed as XP was when it came to everyday usage.

Hopefully MT will be to OS X as Win7 is to MS Windows.
Knara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:53 PM   #17
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knara View Post
For me, Lion is akin to Vista. After a few service packs, it runs well enough, but it wasn't as well ironed as XP was when it came to everyday usage.

Hopefully MT will be to OS X as Win7 is to MS Windows.
I dunno. I haven't had any issues with Lion. Then again, I never had issues with WinME or Vista.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:00 PM   #18
Knara
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
I dunno. I haven't had any issues with Lion. Then again, I never had issues with WinME or Vista.
My main notice with Lion is that it seems to handle being up for long periods of time less well than SL did. If I have it up for 7 days or so I'll get interface "lags" every 20 minutes or so until I reboot. Also kernel_task was less greedy.
Knara is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:08 PM   #19
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My main notice with Lion is that it seems to handle being up for long periods of time less well than SL did. If I have it up for 7 days or so I'll get interface "lags" every 20 minutes or so until I reboot. Also kernel_task was less greedy.
I have lag issues with my work MBA after a few days but not my personal MBA. The main difference between the two is the software, work MBA has Microsoft Office and VMWare Fusion (running Win7) while my personal one has neither Office nor VMWare Fusion. A reboot fixes the slowdown as you said.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:22 PM   #20
blow45
Banned

Sorry about consecutive post, thought it would add it automagically.

Quote:
Kernel task seems much more greedy, and living your Mac on without a restart is a thing of the past now (we used to brag about it to our windows using friends). These are all evidence of sloppy code optimization for the internals of the os. It's very apparent to some of us that apple hasn't simply done the work they had to do with lion's backbone, maintenance and improvement. To them this is not a big deal since by obsoleting old macs and making new macs not anything special in terms of performance, especially lowered specked ones people will need to buy more soon.

The new intel CPUs, the i series are truly incredibly engineered equipment, that run circles around even their 2-3 year old counterparts. Yet this increase in power is simply not reflected in the os anymore. Its hard to believe a new Mac, such as the mid range mini I bought a month ago, would be so laggy with word excel safari, chrome and preview running and all with few documents and the browsers with 8-9 tabs. Especially browsing on os x even with flash blocked is unreliable that it should be such a mediocre experience in this day and age.

I have legacy hp windoze xp with pentiums from 8 years ago or so and chrome there opens one tab after the other like a breeze yet it stutters on lion, and ok say chrome is google, safari seems even worse.

It's a shame though to see that were sl breathed new life in older leopard macs by optimizing them lion is doing the opposite. I don't know of anyone in my community of Mac users who would suggest in all good conscience that anyone with a pre 2010 Mac switch to lion.

It's not a small thing to develop and maintoan an os, it's probably one of the more complex tasks a team could be engaged with, and when proper development doesn't take place it shows. It's crystal clear to me that apple isn't putting enough resources in os x. The same team that did only os x has been split into ios and os x for the past few years and is has taken its toll on os x.
Apparently also as apple likes to have small teams in their development their spreading out in other projects such as iTunes and store, iBooks author, iCloud, Xcode course etc. etc. hasn't helped either.

When sl leopard focused only on code rewriting and optimization, the team was effective, and sl was a better leopard. In lion the focus expanded to include ui enhancements, some of them not so well thought out btw, and certainly not well implemented. I think this shift of focus didn't allow for enough development and maintenance, and you can certainly tell.

Apple has grown very, very large and spread out in many software endeavours and they have been using pretty much the same resources for this development.
Lion might seem pretty good, or even great on a latest Mac with what are insane hardware advances (compared to 3 years ago say) in chip technology, ssd speeds, memory speeds ect, yet the software hasn't come close to matching the engineering of the hardware.

My PowerBook g4 handled the word, excel, safari, preview scenario at 1.25 gbs of ram, with hardware that was one could say close to 6-8 times worse, it's inconceivable how a i-core 4gb ram mini doesn't simply fly. And I challenge anyone to put windows xp, or 7 on an older say circa 2006-2007 Mac and report to me cross their hearts which os is the faster one, and this comes from someone who's been one of the people most against ms. The irony in that is that this hasn't come with any real advancements in core features such as the file system say or resolution independence.

I would comprehend how a zfs os x might be showing an older macs age, but on a newer Mac it offered the benefits of a modern os. When your hardware manufactures are reaching dizzying heights with lighting fast ssds (that you take ages to support by proper trim support), CPUs that are amazing, and memories that fly and you can't get a team to bring some real core os software engineering advancements in ri or zfs in 7 years but you instead tout some half baked ios looking additons such as autosaves, auto kill off of apps, launchpads, windows restores, and (finally) a workable version of MobileMe that isn't pure crap as it was (not my idea, sj's and he said it on a keynote) with some additions (iTunes match, photo stream) and some substractions (keychain sync, iDisk - utter crap, but no Dropbox like feature to replace it) that to me speaks volumes about your os development. It's sad to see the hardware side of apples computers involving such great engineering work and what was one our pride and joy and apple's too, os x, involving so little great engineering work and technical innovation.
blow45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:18 PM   #21
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a

I honestly believe during WWDC we will get a couple more features that makes iOS to OS X a seemless experience.
32GB iPad 2 (iOS 7)
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:17 PM   #22
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvizzgamer101 View Post
I honestly believe during WWDC we will get a couple more features that makes iOS to OS X a seemless experience.
Not that close to release - WWDC is in June, if they want to announce anything new, its going to be really minor. Major features just aren’t going to be implemented that close to when they should be finalizing things. It’s way too close to comfort. They might announce something already present that isn't well known to the public but it is not going to be anything big. Not enough time.

Any changes that they would make by then are going to be small tweaks or small but visual changes, but nothing major or groundbreaking. I think that at WWDC they will expand on things that we know the basics about and not much else. I just wouldn’t think they have the time to make big changes.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:54 AM   #23
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
Not that close to release - WWDC is in June, if they want to announce anything new, its going to be really minor. Major features just aren’t going to be implemented that close to when they should be finalizing things. It’s way too close to comfort. They might announce something already present that isn't well known to the public but it is not going to be anything big. Not enough time.

Any changes that they would make by then are going to be small tweaks or small but visual changes, but nothing major or groundbreaking. I think that at WWDC they will expand on things that we know the basics about and not much else. I just wouldn’t think they have the time to make big changes.
Well not unless they introduce a big new developer framework that is not likely to be even be used commercially for 6months. Something not required for compatibility with current applications but expected to incorporated over the next few OS releases. Something that would need a good solid developer introduction like at WWDC.

Yes anything they do would need to be either end of the scale so small not to matter to the developer or so big it'll take years to matter to the consumer. Which still leaves a lot of good possibilities.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:11 AM   #24
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post

I'm talking like new iTunes, Facebook integration...ect
32GB iPad 2 (iOS 7)
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:25 AM   #25
AdvocateUK
macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I couldn't leave this thread without saying something.

Lion is NOT slow, it is NOT buggy, and it is NOT flaky.

I run Lion on a 2007 Mac Pro (2.66 quad core), a 15 inch 2009 MacBook Pro, a 2011 MacBook Air, and a 2010 MacBook Pro. None of these machines run any slower than they did under Snow Leopard.

To say that Apple has dropped the ball with Lion is disingenuous at best, and at worst is mere trolling.

That's all I have to say about that.
AdvocateUK is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion