Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Im new to iPhones and I got a 4s a few days ago

I am a bit worried now

Since the 4s was released only last november Do you think the iPhone 5 will have a VAST advance in technology and features or will it be a slight advancement

In short do you think the iPhone 5 will make my 4s a "stone age" phone

I am not talking about camera or internal advancements like speed

Just talking about advancement that will be noticeable to the casual customer

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Your 4S will be fine - do not worry about hypothetical new phones in the future. A new model will always come out at some point, but you never know: You might not like the iPhone 5, and it might be an advantage to wait for the iPhone 6....

I took this approach, getting the iPhone 3GS rather than the 3, 4S rather than the 4, and it has worked fine.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
iPhone updates tend to go tick tock with the ticks being external changes and the tocks being internal improvements. This isn't 100% true across the board, but in general that's the priority for each phone update.

Based on that I expect the new iPhone to look fairly different on the outside (which includes things like screen size) but to likely have a similar processor and whatnot inside.

So it really depends on what you care more about. Based on your post it sounds like you may be pretty excited by the next iPhone.

But in the end, these are all just guesses. You should absolutely just enjoy the iPhone you have today for what it is and not worry so much about what-ifs or maybes.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
iPhone updates tend to go tick tock with the ticks being external changes and the tocks being internal improvements. This isn't 100% true across the board, but in general that's the priority for each phone update.

Based on that I expect the new iPhone to look fairly different on the outside (which includes things like screen size) but to likely have a similar processor and whatnot inside.

So it really depends on what you care more about. Based on your post it sounds like you may be pretty excited by the next iPhone.

But in the end, these are all just guesses. You should absolutely just enjoy the iPhone you have today for what it is and not worry so much about what-ifs or maybes.

Excited? Lol I actually have no clue about it

as I said I am fairly new to this

I really like the look of the 4s but I am not too find of the screen being stretched in the 5 it seems like it could crack easier

But back on topic I will be very happy if the upgrades that will be made on the iPhone 5 wont make my 4s look like iPhone 1

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Excited? Lol I actually have no clue about it

as I said I am fairly new to this

I really like the look of the 4s but I am not too find of the screen being stretched in the 5 it seems like it could crack easier

But back on topic I will be very happy if the upgrades that will be made on the iPhone 5 wont make my 4s look like iPhone 1

It wouldn't make a difference. The whole face of any iPhone is glass. It's been the same since the start (Apart from the bezel on the first 3 iPhones)

If it's going to crack, it's going to crack.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I think it will be a bigger upgrade. All non-S upgrades always got much bigger, visible upgrades, while the -S upgrades

For example: iPhone 3G, new design, 3G internet, GPS - iPhone 4: retina display, noise cancellation, HD video recording, LED flash, front facing camera, new design

The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S were only internal improvements, but no worries, your 4S won't be out-dated suddenly.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Would love a 12mp Camera on the New iPhone, slightly bigger screen but not much bigger.

Either way I have only just got my 4S and very happy with it.

As said don't worry about future updates, the new phone is a while off yet :)

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I think it will be a bigger upgrade. All non-S upgrades always got much bigger, visible upgrades, while the -S upgrades

For example: iPhone 3G, new design, 3G internet, GPS - iPhone 4: retina display, noise cancellation, HD video recording, LED flash, front facing camera, new design

The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S were only internal improvements, but no worries, your 4S won't be out-dated suddenly.

But if I remember correctly the 3G did not have a big upgrade the transition point was from 3GS to 4

so maybe the 4s to 5 will be more like the 2g to 3G
What do u think?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I am a bit worried now

Since the 4s was released only last november Do you think the iPhone 5 will have a VAST advance in technology and features or will it be a slight advancement

In short do you think the iPhone 5 will make my 4s look "stone age"

Going on the iPad 3 specifications, then no. Forget Android v IOS as Apple seemingly are not attempting to match like for like specs. They just want their product to be the best it 'needs' to be without creating problems for developers and people with a 2 year old phone, who don't want their device to suddenly be rendered obsolete by massive jump in system specs year after year.

So processor wise expect something of similar performance to this years iPad 3, it really doesn't need to be that much faster as it won't be driving a higher resolution screen than the new iPad.

From most of the rumors it seems 4" for the screen size, and form factor probably thinner than the current model.

Perhaps a bump to 12mp camera, but not necessarily needed as even the current iPhone 4S takes arguably better photos than the HTC One X I also have and it's got a higher mp count. The fact that the One X's camera also protrudes from the back of the phone body/chassis, makes me suspect if apple are going thinner than the 4S this year, they may keep the camera the same as the 4S, improve the lens slightly, but not use additional space on a camera when battery improvement would be more important especially in a thinner form factor.

So other than

larger screen (modestly so by comparison to the rather gargantuan new Android devices)
Thinner form factor
Similar processor to existing
More memory probably
Same camera likely (it's still prob the best camera on a phone period)
4G LTE support (the other most obvious edition this year)

That will be your lot.

So basically no. I'm sure it will be a great phone, and I'm sure you will 'want one' like everyone else here, but needing one and making your 4S obsolete ? Absolutely not.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think the next iPhone is going to be somewhat substantial of an upgrade. LTE alone makes it worth it too me (Verizon), not only will I get super fast speeds but I'll be able to do data and voice simultaneously.

Plus I think there will be more then just LTE. If it has a bigger screen AND LTE I'd highly consider it. If it has both plus NFC I will definitely get it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
One of the greatest advancements in tech that Apple brought to the table with the original iPhone in 2007, was the fact that the functionality of the phone was dependent on the software! Don't worry about what the new iPhone brings, or does't bring. Realize that you have the best smartphone on the planet right now, and know that 50% if not more of the new advancements coming in the new iPhone(whenever it comes) will be 100% software based, which you will get on your 4S absolutely free! :cool:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
It won't be "stone age" but it will look older.

Think about it. The 4s looks just like the 4 that came out a while ago. Expect a visual design change.

As for tech specs... I think the biggest thing will likely be the addition of 4G speeds. That's going to be your biggest "darn, I should have wated" pain point. The screen may or may not increase in size (Personally I hope not and if so, I hope it's not a lot). The camera may or may not get a tad bit better... processor will probably be the same as what's in the iPad (3rd gen).

Should you have waited? I don't know. Depends on your situation. I got a 4s in nov/dec of last year. I love it. I am also eligible for an upgrade so when the next one comes out, it's mine.

If you're worried, start saving a little money. When it comes out, sell your 4S and buy one outright paying the difference out of pocket.

wacomme

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
I don't have an iPhone. I'm waiting for the new one - hoping for a summer release, but likely fall.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It won't be "stone age" but it will look older.

Think about it. The 4s looks just like the 4 that came out a while ago. Expect a visual design change.

As for tech specs... I think the biggest thing will likely be the addition of 4G speeds. That's going to be your biggest "darn, I should have wated" pain point. The screen may or may not increase in size (Personally I hope not and if so, I hope it's not a lot). The camera may or may not get a tad bit better... processor will probably be the same as what's in the iPad (3rd gen).

Should you have waited? I don't know. Depends on your situation. I got a 4s in nov/dec of last year. I love it. I am also eligible for an upgrade so when the next one comes out, it's mine.

If you're worried, start saving a little money. When it comes out, sell your 4S and buy one outright paying the difference out of pocket.
Only a few percent of the current iPhone users care about LTE. There are two reasons for that: Apple sells a lot of iPhones outside of the United States where they currently do not support 4G speeds (with the iPad 3), and secondly of those users that do you live in the United States and Canada, only few care about paying for a 4G plan.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Would love a 12mp Camera on the New iPhone,

Megapixels aren't nearly as important as sensor size/quality. I would like to as large of sensor as they can reasonable cram in there and couldn't care less about the number of megapixels (anything about 5 on a small sensor is just gravy, IMHO).

Sensor size & quality is the reason a 6MP DSLR (like a Nikon D40, for instance) will take orders of magnitude better pictures than 99% of the small sensor point-and-shoots out there.

Bigger sensor = better quality and more depth of field (usually, for both) :)

Apple, please find a way to cram a micro 4/3 sensor into the New iPhone - you can keep the zoom, too, just to keep it simple. :D
(Not a chance in you-know-where of this happening, btw...)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

I am a bit worried now

In short do you think the iPhone 5 will make my 4s look "stone age"

I think it will look just like the 4S, but a little faster, maybe bigger storage and RAM, and a better camera.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Only a few percent of the current iPhone users care about LTE. There are two reasons for that: Apple sells a lot of iPhones outside of the United States where they currently do not support 4G speeds (with the iPad 3), and secondly of those users that do you live in the United States and Canada, only few care about paying for a 4G plan.

LTE plans are the same price as 3G though. You just need a phone that supports it.

Unless maybe you are talking about the possibility of losing some sort unlimited plan.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

Really? Only a few percent care about LTE? I would beg to differ...

Apple does sell a lot of iPhones outside of the US but roughly 1/3 of all iPhones sold worldwide in the previous quarter were sold in the U.S. -- That's a lot. Enough that Apple would be DUMB to not cater to the U.S. market with LTE capabilities in the next iPhone.

In regards to the plan... I can't speak for Canada but to my knowledge, there's no such thing as a 4G plan. I pay for Data. If I can get 3G, cool, if I can pick up 4G, cooler. I don't pay a different price (on verizon) for 4G speeds. And from what I've found, in order to get subsidized pricing on the iPhone through the carrier, you HAVE to pay for data.

Not to mention the iPad is 4G capable.

Actually, the more I think about it, you're just wrong :D

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

LOL, "only"... The internal changes and upgrades in those models were far superior to the external ones from the previous.

There's a reason why the 3G is no longer supported while the 3GS is still chugging along and running iOS 5.1.

The next phone will likely look completely different than the 4S, but it's internals will likely be similar. The model after that will be where the processor/ RAM and various tweaks get to shine.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
LOL, "only"... The internal changes and upgrades in those models were far superior to the external ones from the previous.

There's a reason why the 3G is no longer supported while the 3GS is still chugging along and running iOS 5.1.

The next phone will likely look completely different than the 4S, but it's internals will likely be similar. The model after that will be where the processor/ RAM and various tweaks get to shine.
You're wrong. The iPhone 4, for example, got a much more powerful processor, more RAM and a better camera. All the hardware that was updated in the 4S was also updated in the 4.

And yeah, I suppose you are correct. The iPhone 4S was a far bigger upgrade (internally) compared to the external changes: no one cares about a retina display and LED flash.

The iPhone 4 was a much bigger upgrade than the 4S. The iPhone 4 got both internal and external upgrades.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Can you tell the Difference Between an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4?
Thats how different the new iPhone 5 will be compared to iPhone 4S.
As everyone stated, exterior will be vastly changed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Btw we are taking educated guesses from apples past history. A more honest answer would be we don't know. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.