Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
And also, are you OK with Apple removing the superdrive on the next MacBook Pro and iMac? (Not the Mac Pro, the Mac Pro really needs the DVD drive for burning) to be replaced with a larger battery/2nd Hard Drive/thinner form factor?

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Last night. Importing a Music CD that I recently bought. I always use it.
But it is now in an external case. I installed an SSD in its bay.
Until the iTunes in the Cloud services are really polished fast, as well as iTunes Match, there is still a need for large internal storage.
The trend to have the new MacBook Pros with the same form factor as the MacBook Airs is not very appealing to people like me, that want to have more than 1TB of storage inside your portable Mac, in my case I like the idea of having the bay drive where the superdrive used to be to install another hard drive.
Unless they crack new storage solutions that are fast and affordable, it is not very likely that I would prefer its removal.
They should make the secondary drive a customized optional choice for the buyer:
- Super Drive
- Bluray Drive
- SSD
- HDD

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
And also, are you OK with Apple removing the superdrive on the next MacBook Pro and iMac? (Not the Mac Pro, the Mac Pro really needs the DVD drive for burning.)

I used it about a month ago for burning an audio CD but, tbh, i hardly ever use it. The last time prior to that would have been to do the Leopard to Snow Leopard update.

I'd be happy for Apple to remove the drive on the next gen MBP and in its place have a larger battery/second HDD bay/thinner form factor or some combination of all three. I'd happily buy the external SuperDrive.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Used it 2 days ago to rip/backup a DVD. Handy to have it internal but I wouldn't cry if they removed it from future designs.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Ive used mine twice once for watching a DVD and I think the other time was installing a piece of software when I first got my mac. Im fine if they get rid of in in their portables but Im not so sure about taking it out of an iMac (whats the point its a desktop I don't care if its 2cm thinner or 200g lighter, its a desktop I'm not going to be carrying it about. It will go just not as soon as the portables :)

Last edited:

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
The last time I used mine was an hour ago and I use it everyday. However, I wouldn't mind if I had to use an external one instead.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I used it 1 second ago... to watch a DVD.

Seriously, though, I think it's still very much a necessity for some people.

rwcooper

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I burn an average of 2 DVDs a week, but not on my MBP, I use another Mac for that. I don't recall ever using the DVD drive on my MBP.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Yesterday. Don't like the idea of having to carry around an external drive.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I use mine reasonably often since my mbp gets used as our dvd player, as well as to rip CD's I purchase into electronic formats.

It'd be nice to keep it around for traveling but considering the relative size of it I wouldn't be too sad to see it go (for extra battery or something which would be equally useful when traveling).

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
2times today

I use it to rip new DVD's I buy so that i can play them on my apple tv's located throughout our home. That's really the only time I ever use the drive. I wouldn't mind if they took it out to make room for something else. I would just use an external drive.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I used it last night. I make mix CDs for my friends who don't have an AUX plug in their cars. I love the SuperDrive, I don't wanna lose it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I used mine about a week ago to re-rip some CDs using ALAC instead of 320kbps AAC. Before that it had been at least 6 months, I'm always worried it isn't going to work since it sits for so long between uses.

Anyway, I wouldn't miss the optical drive in my laptop as long as I've got a good drive in my desktop.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Only to install Windows (Boot Camp). I have a desktop for other uses such as rips, etc. I hope they axe it, but not turn it Air like. I still want to put my own SSD (Samsung 830) and HDD (WD 1 TB) in my new MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.