Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Hey guys,

I have the 2011 mac mini, but I am stumped on whether it has optical audio out? I know older macs did, but have they dropped it all together?

Cheers

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Isn't optical the only way to get digital through a headphone jack?

The MBP, the Mini and the iMac all have digital out via the headphone jack and it is "optical", but a normal TOSlink optical cable won't work (clearly :) )

If you want to connect a standard optical TOSlink cable then you need to use an adaptor, like this

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD101.html?id=HTkW64FR

I should point out though that multichannel audio is not supported via this port so it's purely for stereo output. It's only supported via HDMI.

Last edited:

Adrian97c

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
Yup, I used it on my 2009 mini
I was using 3.5 to stereo this whole time, but when streaming movies on my mini I want digital surround sound!

So by using the adapter posted above (3.5 to optical) I can have my wishes come true?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I was using 3.5 to stereo this whole time, but when streaming movies on my mini I want digital surround sound!

So by using the adapter posted above (3.5 to optical) I can have my wishes come true?
It's called mini toslink adapter or just get a cable with mini toslink to toslink for a cleaner look. It costs a couple buck with monoprice

Adrian97c

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
It's called mini toslink adapter or just get a cable with mini toslink to toslink for a cleaner look. It costs a couple buck with monoprice
Had to make some adjustments on kodi, but it worked! Thx!! Tho for some reason midi settings shows only 2ch, 5.1 option is greyed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.