Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heeby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Has anyone had success with or heard of anything besides the silicone/TPU covers to protect the keys from wear? Brushing on clear coat? Decals? Anything?

heeby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Pretty much anything between the surface of the key and your finger will prevent "wear," but it's a keyboard. Keyboards are meant to be used. Trying to preserve your keyboard is a waste of money.

You must have misunderstood me. I wasn't asking for opinions on whether or not one SHOULD protect the keyboard. Rather specific methods besides the standard covers that have worked well. But thanks ;)

heeby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
I was thinking a clearcoat paint or sealer could work to protect the keys from wear. I also found some decals on Amazon made for the MBP and might try those...but then you have to deal with the residue when taking them off eventually. My last laptop had the greasy sheen in a few weeks and no cleaning helped. I am generally not worried about little stuff but that bugged me...and put a lot of potential buyers off when I sold it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.