Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Closed Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 08:21 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

More Claims of Taller, Thinner Next-Generation iPhone with 4-Inch Screen and New Dock Connector

iLounge reports on information it has received regarding the next-generation iPhone, claiming that Apple will indeed be making the move to a 4-inch display by increasing the height only has had been previously speculated. To accommodate the taller screen, the body of the device will also become slightly taller, but it will also see an approximately 20% reduction in thickness.
Quote:
What we've learned: the new iPhone will indeed be longer and thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S. Approximate measurements are 125mm by 58.5mm by 7.4mm--a 10mm jump in height, nearly 2mm reduction in thickness, and virtually identical width. According to our source, Apple will make one major change to the rear casing, adding a metal panel to the central back of the new iPhone. This panel will be flat, not curved, and metal, not ceramic. Our artist's rendition provides a rough idea of what this change will look like; it echoes the current-generation iMac design, to be sure.

The report also claims that Apple will be adopting the rumored smaller dock connector for the device, which will be "closer to a pill shape" than the existing connector.

iLounge has offered some correct information in the past, and was rather accurate in its claims regarding the latest iPad. Not all of the site's claims came to fruition, however, with the new iPad's front-facing camera failing to gain HD resolution and Apple offering no sign of an enhanced smart cover for the device.

Article Link: More Claims of Taller, Thinner Next-Generation iPhone with 4-Inch Screen and New Dock Connector
MacRumors is offline   -2
Old May 3, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

utter BS... Not gonna happen...
- no change of aspect ratio is needed (fragmentation anyone? 16/9 is an Android/WP thing, 3/2 is the Apple "trademark" design)
- no need for thinner (plus what about battery life, LTE?)
Old May 3, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
imgonephishin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjaotkb View Post
utter BS... Not gonna happen...
- no change of aspect ratio is needed (fragmentation anyone? 16/9 is an Android/WP thing, 3/2 is the Apple "trademark" design)
- no need for thinner (plus what about battery life, LTE?)
Exactly this.

Apple has 600K+ apps designed for 3:2. They've railed about Android fragmentation. There's no way in hell that they're changing the aspect ratio now. Larger screen? I'll buy that. But they'll be expanding it in both directions. In the mockups there's still the standard bevel on the left and right sides of the screens. You really think they'll expand upwards before using all of that space? My prediction is a 4" screen, same 960x640 resolution, screen goes right up to the side edges, slightly taller and wider device.
imgonephishin is offline   19
Old May 3, 2012, 08:34 AM   #4
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
Keep the glass back, it looks and feels classy.
MacBookPro13" is offline   -6
Old May 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Konrad9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookPro13" View Post
Keep the glass back, it looks and feels classy.
And is far, far too easily broken.
Konrad9 is offline   4
Old May 3, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
lifeguard90
macrumors 6502a

HEY! Well look at that, what a surprise

More ios iphone postings, never woulda guessed that. ....

does anyone give a rip about mac news? Seriously , the April 4th or whatever post for antiglare imac is long in the tooth. And the mbp / air change has been rattling since Feb 2011. Ridiculous
lifeguard90 is offline   -9
Old May 3, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
mrmarts
macrumors 65816

The design is the same however the back is not to my taste maybe it might grow on me let's hope more rumors spring up in the coming months
Old May 3, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard90 View Post
HEY! Well look at that, what a surprise

More ios iphone postings, never woulda guessed that. ....

does anyone give a rip about mac news? Seriously , the April 4th or whatever post for antiglare imac is long in the tooth. And the mbp / air change has been rattling since Feb 2011. Ridiculous
Go buy a Dell or HP POS then.
Macclone is offline   1
Old May 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #9
jmerchlinsky
macrumors member

Progress

Damn, My Kickstarter Elevation Dock hasn't even arrived and its already obsolete. I suppose that's progress.

The mockup looks pretty bad, but I have faith that the realization will have more finesse. The 4" screen and new aspect ratio is a foregone conclusion. No news there. The height of the phone won't increase as much as shown in the mockups because the deadspace around the home button and microphone will shrink.

My question is why switch from glass to metal on the back. Why fix what isn't broken? Will metal will be thinner or cheaper? It certainly is more robust, but I wouldn't compromise esthetics for that. The mockup shows a combination of metal and glass, but I doubt that will happen. Does a metal back foretell a curved surface?
jmerchlinsky is offline   0
Old May 3, 2012, 08:41 AM   #10
jephrey
macrumors regular

Let's hope that connector is thunderbolt. Not another un-standard.

I personally wouldn't mind a taller screen (more true 16x9). Yes I know a bit of a hassle for programmers, but like movies on the current phone have black bars at the top and bottom(of the landscape screen), current apps on the new phone could have black bars at the top and bottom on a portrait screen.

Thickness, I'm indifferent but a little thinner would be ok. I do agree the battery could use some of that real estate

partial metal back - that looks like ass off the bat but I could take it if the joining of those materials is seamless. I know the recent rumors say liquidmetal is a ways off but a back like that blown simultaneously with gorilla glass making a seamless back would be pretty cool.
jephrey is offline   0
Old May 3, 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

zero chance of this monstrosity being released
Confuzzzed is offline   4
Old May 3, 2012, 08:48 AM   #12
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephrey View Post
Let's hope that connector is thunderbolt. Not another un-standard.
As long as it came with a thunderbolt to USB cable to support the multitudes of us that don't have thunderbolt ports.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:47 AM   #13
cyruslemont
macrumors newbie

Guys we all need to chill out, it aint called MacRumors for no reason the next iPhone will be Apple's big flagship this year in the market. Whatever they're going to do, will have to benefit the developers and their large array of apps and be good to the people. Do you really think they would put out an ugly looking device and give app developers a time tough time dealing with a change of resolution? All I know is that Apple is filled with professionals who definitely know what they're doing! Unlike some companies, shooting out six bazillion different types of phones at a time.

Have some faith in the company! Steve Jobs may be gone in physical form but his spirit lives on!

Last edited by cyruslemont; May 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Missing words, additional notes.
cyruslemont is offline   1
Old May 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #14
tomegun
macrumors regular

I think if Ive looked at some of these posts he would say, "Those people posting are what is absurd!" If they follow what they have done so far, the design is changing. Thank goodness - the 4/4S looks good, but it is not as comfortable to hold as the previous versions. I would rather have a more comfortable design than a bigger screen. However, Ive is not going to just make the screen bigger with the same design. That is not art and he could have done that last year. Heck, he could have done that last week!
tomegun is offline   0
Old May 6, 2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Syk
macrumors 6502a

Not sure I like that back. Looks kind of tacky but do want the larger screen also want an iOS facelift, it's time. Not sure if I want it any thinner than the iP4 I have now.

That connector change is going to suck because I'll need new extra cables but it was bound to happen.

That said I'm pretty sure that some here that are saying they won't buy it with a larger screen will and talking about how great it is. I kinda hope they don't so maybe ordering from apple.com won't be brought to its knees and I won't have to keep trying to put my order

ETA: Apple will have to change sooner or later be it case/size design or UI. If not they'll start to suffer like RIM is. I remember when everyone wanted a BlackBerry now only the loyal few want them.

Last edited by Syk; May 6, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Syk is offline   0
Old May 3, 2012, 08:48 AM   #16
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

There's no way Apple will design a phone that looks like that on the back.

Also--for anyone saying they'll never change the screen resolution, I say pshaw!! My iPad apps were all retina ready within days of launch. The same will happen with iPhone.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonephishin View Post
Exactly this.

Apple has 600K+ apps designed for 3:2. They've railed about Android fragmentation. There's no way in hell that they're changing the aspect ratio now. Larger screen? I'll buy that. But they'll be expanding it in both directions. In the mockups there's still the standard bevel on the left and right sides of the screens. You really think they'll expand upwards before using all of that space? My prediction is a 4" screen, same 960x640 resolution, screen goes right up to the side edges, slightly taller and wider device.
If the screen goes to the edge there's no reason to make it taller or wider.
By simply moving the earpiece and the home button slightly, the 4S could accomodate a 4" screen as-is.
No dimension changes whatsoever.
Gjwilly is offline   5
Old May 3, 2012, 08:51 AM   #18
iPhonedHome
macrumors 6502

Ughh! I just threw up in my mouth a litttle ....

Holy crap that looks horrible! If that is what is actually released I'll be keeping my Galaxy Note.
iPhonedHome is offline   1
Old May 3, 2012, 08:51 AM   #19
nerdwaller
macrumors newbie

Won't happen.

Definitely not the next iPhone.

Apple likes seemless design, that looks terrible.

They will have the backing one style or the other, but not both and I highly doubt they will change the aspect ratio. If the iphone screen gets bigger, the phone will be wider, that's all there is to it.
nerdwaller is offline   -1
Old May 4, 2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Zudeo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdwaller View Post
Definitely not the next iPhone.

Apple likes seemless design, that looks terrible.

They will have the backing one style or the other, but not both and I highly doubt they will change the aspect ratio. If the iphone screen gets bigger, the phone will be wider, that's all there is to it.
Well, take a look at the iPhone 2G and then comment on the 'back' material.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:51 AM   #21
applesith
macrumors 68000

Absolutely no point in increasing the screen in only one direction unless iOS6 has some balls to the wall amazing UI that makes this necessary.

Fuggo and hopefully BS.
applesith is offline   -1
Old May 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

I doubt any of this is true. I would HATE if any of this were to happen.

Elongated screen: Hell no. Fragmentation, apps would look terrible sideways, games would have to be completely redesigned, and reason number one HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO ACCESS NOTIFICATION CENTER WITH ONE HAND. The average thumb wouldn't be long enough to reach.

Flat back: No. I am over the flat back on the 4/4s. I prefer some sort of curve even if it's just on the edges (like the iPad).

Metal Strip: Ok I would prefer a metal back (liquidmetal), but a strip? At least in the mockup it looks hideous, but I'm sure Apple could make it look better. I know Apple may not be able to make the entire back metal for reception purposes, but we'll see

Thinner: Honestly, I would prefer a bigger battery to thinner

new dock connecter: oh great!! So every dock connector that people have been collecting for over a decade have suddenly become worthless! Why? To make the hole slightly smaller... so what? if anything it's better wider because it gives more support.

lame, lame, lame, LAME!
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2
Old May 3, 2012, 08:56 AM   #23
Aftershocker
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonephishin View Post
Exactly this.

My money is on that as well...

I don't think they are particularly adverse to changing the resolution to keep the retina tag though, as existing apps could always be run in a window with a border.
Aftershocker is offline   0
Old May 3, 2012, 08:58 AM   #24
triceretops
macrumors regular

Bigger is NOT better

And a new dock connector? WTF. I have a charging cord in my car, in my travel bag, at work, at home. Replacing them all is not what I want to do.
triceretops is offline   -2
Old May 3, 2012, 09:01 AM   #25
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502

People....reeeeeelax. First of all this is a rumor. A ruuuuuumor! Second of all, that mock up is a photoshop job by some internet blogger....NOT by Apple. So stop freaking out. You think some schmo on the internet is gonna out design Apple using photoshop? Puh-lease. Chill the F out. :-P

As for the iphone 5 rumors...i am all for a bigger screen, better battery life and LTE. I am holding off until it is announced. Rumors are fun...but they are just that, rumors.

Come back in June or October when its officially announced and lets talk. :-P
MacDarcy is offline   3

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion