Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Hi,
I have a Mac-mini mid-2011 and I just purchased an external hard drive for it.

I'm trying to setup the external drive so I can boot both Lion and Mountain Lion.

The first step was to format the external drive using Disk Utility. That went fine. I created 2 partitions and formatted them HFS+ journaled.

Now what I want to do is to create an image backup of my existing Lion installation and copy it to the external drive. So simple, hold down Command-R while restarting and boot into the recovery utilities. Right?

Well, wrong! For whatever reason, this Mac-mini refuses to boot into recovery tools. I am using a Windows keyboard. So I tried the WindowsKey-r = nope. Tried the AltKey-r = nope. Tried the WindowsKey-AltKey-r = nope.

So how do I get booted into the utilities on this Mac-mini?

greno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Clone your internal drive to the external using Carbon Copy Cloner. That will clone the recovery partition, as well.

I'll look at that. Thanks.

But I'm also concerned about why this Mac-mini will not boot into the recovery tools. I vaguely remember when I set it up that it did not recognize the keyboard right off and I had to tell it what kind of keyboard it was. And it's worked fine ever since. But I'm wondering if that is now causing this problem with booting into recovery tools.

greno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
CCC got the internal cloned to the external.

And going into Keyboard and running a redetect seems to have straightened out the keyboard.

Now holding down OptionKey on restart brought up the partitions list.

Only one minor problem left. My mouse was not working there to select one of the partitions. Had to tab through them and hit Enter.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Only one minor problem left. My mouse was not working there to select one of the partitions. Had to tab through them and hit Enter.
It may be that your mouse drivers aren't installed on all the available boot machines. Once you've successfully booted into each option and verified the mouse works, it may then work when selecting a boot partition.

greno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Booted the choices.

And now I get mouse movement during partition boot selection but only in the vertical direction. No horizontal. Weird.

Well, anyway, tabbing works.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Also be careful around using ALTGR not ALT (the Righthand side one), my mini doesn't accept the left hand side key.

Need to get me a Bluetooth apple keyboard really!

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Also be careful around using ALTGR not ALT (the Righthand side one), my mini doesn't accept the left hand side key.

Need to get me a Bluetooth apple keyboard really!

Yeah, get that keyboard - the best one on the market! And I really know that - I tried dozens of keyboards 'cos I have to write thousands of words a day, and the Apple keyboard is the fastest and most comfortable to write on. :)

As for alt - an Apple keyboard doesn't have ALT GR, so I'm wondering why the mini doesn't accept the left Alt... probably just a minor software bug.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Yeah, get that keyboard - the best one on the market! And I really know that - I tried dozens of keyboards 'cos I have to write thousands of words a day, and the Apple keyboard is the fastest and most comfortable to write on. :)

As for alt - an Apple keyboard doesn't have ALT GR, so I'm wondering why the mini doesn't accept the left Alt... probably just a minor software bug.

Yeah very odd! But doesn't do it for everything! Might just be certain keyboards!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.