Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 4, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a

Does Apple retail accept cash?

This summer, I'll be traveling to USA in late July. I'm planning to get a 15" MacBook Pro (most probably by that time, the new ones will be out).

The thing is that apart from USA I'm traveling to a couple of countries and cities, and I'm carrying cash only, because my bank's MasterCard doesn't always get accepted internationally, so I can't risk it.

My question is, if I walk in at an Apple store, will they let me pay for the MacBook with cash?

I've already done some research, and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Some say they don't accept cash just for iPhones and iPads. Others say they don't accept cash at all for anything. A few sites said they accept cash for everything. And I even read somewhere that they don't accept cash if it's over $500.

Please help!
ThE.MeSsEnGeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

I've bought Apple products in store with cash before; I'm in the UK.

Why wouldn't they accept cash? XD
Old May 4, 2012, 08:46 AM   #3
i5pro
macrumors member

They most definitely accept cash. They also take credit cards, debit cards, traveler's checks, and personal checks.
i5pro is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by i5pro View Post
They most definitely accept cash. They also take credit cards, debit cards, traveler's checks, and personal checks.
Also salable body organs and parts, real estate, and good looking family members.

Old May 4, 2012, 04:49 PM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Also salable body organs and parts, real estate, and good looking family members.

Salable body parts are discounted for the cost of removal from the body.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:51 AM   #6
SugaredJuggler
macrumors member

I bought a brand new 15" MacBook Pro several years ago from an Apple Store and paid for the entire thing in cash. You should be just fine. It would be very strange if an actual store wouldn't accept cold hard cash haha.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7
xboxphanatic
macrumors member

I think it is only during major product launches (iPhone, iPad, etc) that they don't take cash straight up. They usually will put it on a gift card though and then you buy with that. That's how it was anyway when I bought my iPhone 4.
xboxphanatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxphanatic View Post
I think it is only during major product launches (iPhone, iPad, etc) that they don't take cash straight up. They usually will put it on a gift card though and then you buy with that. That's how it was anyway when I bought my iPhone 4.
Exactly what they made me do when I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:13 PM   #9
monokakata
macrumors 65816

I think the OP is remembering infamous flap when the iPad first came out and somebody (in California, I think) tried to buy one with cash and was turned down.

I'm sure there threads about that on MR.

Here's just one of many news articles that Google produced:

http://www.switched.com/2010/05/19/i...rchase-policy/
monokakata is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Paratel
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Paratel
I tried to purchase my iphone 3G with cash and they would not accept it several years ago.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816

They should accept cash, cash is king. The biggest camera store in the US, and one that carries many BTO Macs, is in NYC, B&H Photo. I have been there many times and they even have a line just for people that want to pay with cash.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:19 PM   #12
DWilliamson5002
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratel View Post
I tried to purchase my iphone 3G with cash and they would not accept it several years ago.
The Easy Pay devices would not allow Cash transactions until recently when they installed cash drawers in the display tables. iPhone transactions can only be done on the Easy Pay not on the Classic Point of Sale Register.

So the work around was that you had to buy a gift card for the exact amount and then an iPhone sale could be processed since the Easy Pay would take the gift card.

Not a refusal to take cash just no system in place back then to handle cash on the Easy Pay's
DWilliamson5002 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:41 PM   #13
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
I think the OP is remembering infamous flap when the iPad first came out and somebody (in California, I think) tried to buy one with cash and was turned down.

I'm sure there threads about that on MR.

Here's just one of many news articles that Google produced:

http://www.switched.com/2010/05/19/i...rchase-policy/
Exactly, that's what I'm referring to... That's what started it all. I'm still not very convinced they'll accept cash.

If any of you visits an Apple store in these couple of days, can you please be kind enough to ask? Tell them specifically that it's a MacBook that I'm buying.

Thanks a lot!
ThE.MeSsEnGeR is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE.MeSsEnGeR View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

Exactly, that's what I'm referring to... That's what started it all. I'm still not very convinced they'll accept cash.

If any of you visits an Apple store in these couple of days, can you please be kind enough to ask? Tell them specifically that it's a MacBook that I'm buying.

Thanks a lot!
They most assuredly take cash.

I have a friend with a cash business, he's paid cash for every Apple product that he's ever bought - three iMacs, two iPads, a MacBook, numerous peripherals (Airport, etc)... even got them to take cash for an iPhone.

Now, they will probably make a small production out of it, they'll gather a couple of co-workers to count the cash and such but in the end, you walk out with what you wanted.
smithrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:51 PM   #15
John Kotches
macrumors 6502

I guess Apple forgot to read the fine print:
This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

John Kotches is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:53 PM   #16
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

That doesn't apply due to what is and what isn't considered a "debt"

Quite different than saying that the note is legal tender for all transactions, public and private
dukebound85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:02 AM   #17
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

For governments, not private business. Apple can choose not to accept cash if they want to.

BUt they do.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE.MeSsEnGeR View Post
Nice touch. I'm good.

Well yeah, I guess Best Buy would be an alternative if Apple won't accept cash. Never thought about it.

And the Visa Debit Card seems like an amazing idea, not only for the MacBook but for my whole trip! You see, I'm going to NYC, Maine, a concert in Cleveland, also Cedar Point in Ohio and Universal Studios in Orlando. So, I'm carrying around enough money for all of that. That would be risky. You sure I can use that card for everything? Even online purchases, ATM's and normal stores?

Thanks for your reply!
The U.S. is more of a plastic (card) than paper (cash) society. Some small convenience stores refuse to take cards, but that number is very, very low.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:31 AM   #18
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post

The U.S. is more of a plastic (card) than paper (cash) society. Some small convenience stores refuse to take cards, but that number is very, very low.
One would think that going plastic would be safer for the convenience stores - no cash for a robber to take.
old-wiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:36 AM   #19
miles01110
macrumors 604

Why is this still even under debate? Apple Stores take cash. It's not that difficult to understand.
Old May 5, 2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Adam-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
One would think that going plastic would be safer for the convenience stores - no cash for a robber to take.
Yeah but then you need to pay charges for a card machine, and pay for the transactions, seems bait pointless for a snickers or mars bar.
Adam- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:03 PM   #21
iceberg303
macrumors newbie

I know this is an old thread but since I have some information on the subject I thought I would post it in case someone comes across this.

Apple indeed takes cash with some exceptions.

Contracted devices: ipads and iphones with wireless contracts (same devices bought out of contract for full price can be paid cash). The reason for this is the early termination fee.

Legal Tender: This means the US Government recognizes this as tender. It does not mean it has to be accepted by anyone else. There are several places that will not take $100 bills or pennies. There are also places that will only take credit card. Legal tender is a big misconception.

My experience was this: I went in to buy a new 15" MBP. When the card was ran it was denied. Odd thing was the charge was pending on my bank account. Some research shows that depending on what the return code is, apple determines wether to accept or not. There are a handful of positive results that some retailers will reject. Having worked on a CC payment system before I know there are codes for delayed payment, seller fee (in addition to the normal processing fee). Those are the two biggest that I think would get denied and I have never seen the seller fee used. The delayed payment is usually a 2-3 day hold and most retailers don't care about that as they usually only process accounts weekly. That all said after the 3day pending hold on the account I just withdrew the cash and paid for the new MBP.

Things you should do before you make a purchase in-store.

If you are using a credit card, check with you bank. Make sure your daily limit is enough to make the purchase. Your daily limit IS DIFFERENT than your card limit. This even applies to debit cards. Some cards/banks also have an item limit, where a single item cannot be over a certain amount.

If you are paying cash, when you withdraw the money have the teller check every bill that it passes a counterfeit/fraud check as the apple store WILL check and you don't want to be standing there holding a handful of useless cash. Check each bill by holding it up to a bright light so you can see the hidden strip. Make sure the amount on the strip matches what is printed on the bill. This is important because counterfeiters will buy $5 bills with strips in them, bleach the money and print $20, $50 or $100 so they pass the counterfeit pen test.

Also before you leave the apple store make sure you have exactly what you purchased. It's even a good idea to power on any device and make sure the serial number matches what is on the box.

I hope this information is useful to someone or saves someone some hassle.
iceberg303 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:07 AM   #22
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Fees

Quote:
Fees. So many small money transactions that the transaction fees add up quickly.
Old May 5, 2012, 09:46 AM   #23
nmburke
macrumors newbie

If you know what area that you are going to (and therefore what store you might visit), you might just try giving them a call and asking about their cash policy. People in the forum can always speculate, or give examples about a time that they couldn't use cash once, but the staff at the store you plan to visit may be able to give a more definitive answer.
nmburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 06:57 PM   #24
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Yep

Quote:
You'd think so, but they lose more in credit card processing fees, especially on numerous small transactions.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:32 AM   #25
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
You'd think so, but they lose more in credit card processing fees, especially on numerous small transactions.
Yeah I was just thinking in terms of how much they lose from robbers, especially the crazed kind that come in with swords and start hacking right and left.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice