Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 4, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Facing Tens of Millions of Dollars in Fines over Safari Privacy Circumvention

Bloomberg briefly reports that the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is preparing to fine Google over its efforts to circumvent privacy restrictions in Safari for iOS to track users through ads on numerous sites across the web. According to a source, the fine is likely to amount to tens of millions of dollars.
Quote:
Google Inc. (GOOG) is negotiating with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission over how big a fine it will have to pay for its breach of Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s Safari Internet browser, a person familiar with the matter said. [...]

The fine would be the first by the FTC for a violation of Internet privacy safeguards as the agency steps up enforcement of the Web.

Google took advantage of a loophole in Safari's default privacy settings, making the browser think that the user was interacting with a given ad, thus allowing a tracking cookie to be installed. With that cookie installed, it became easy for Google to add additional cookies and to track users across the web as they visited other sites displaying ads from Google's networks.

Article Link: Google Facing Tens of Millions of Dollars in Fines over Safari Privacy Circumvention
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

Google deserves the fine. Make it a good one.
iAppl3Fan is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

With that big of a penalty I'm sure it'll be a deterrent to others who want to do the same thing.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Don't be evil!

...or pay the price.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
tigres
macrumors 68040

there is always a price for free...
Old May 4, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Another chump change fine. A cost of doing business for Google, and not a significant cost at that.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #7
ristlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Another chump change fine. A cost of doing business for Google, and not a significant cost at that.
Agreed. They need more than a slap on the wrist.
ristlin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Yep they spend 2+ million a month on corporate jet fuel.

This fine is pocket change.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

The illusion of any semblance of privacy is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain.

I hope the fine is large enough to get Google's, and others, attention.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:21 PM   #10
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Go ahead and fine Google, but at what point do you say that Apple should be held accountable as well? I kind of see this as a lock manufacturer (Apple) making a sub-standard lock (Safari) and selling it to customers. An intruder (Google) breaks in to the customer's house by easily busting the sub-standard lock.

The sub-standard security doesn't make what Google did right, but at some point the customer should be looking at Apple and asking "WTF are you providing me here?"

I still think iOS is better overall than any other mobile OS around, but I'm not against holding Apple to the fire for being lax in security.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:23 PM   #11
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
Go ahead and fine Google, but at what point do you say that Apple should be held accountable as well?
If you get robbed, you don't sue your landlord.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
If you get robbed, you don't sue your landlord.
In general no, but you can if your landlord was negligent in providing adequate security.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:28 PM   #13
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
In general no, but you can if your landlord was negligent in providing adequate security.
That's a fair point. The question is whether Apple didn't put locks on the door or whether Google picked them. This report makes it look like the latter, but the former is definitely possible.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:40 PM   #14
knightlie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If a burglar finds an open door, it's still illegal for him to steal. Apple may have been negligent, but Google performed the illegal act, plain and simple.
knightlie is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:43 PM   #15
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
It's your fault if you rented property without adequate protection, not your landloard's. This growing expaction that someone else should be responsible for your well-being is crazy.
JHankwitz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 03:27 PM   #16
kurosov
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
But when you give your keys to someone you trust and that person gives copies out to everyone do you still blame the landlord?
Old May 4, 2012, 02:25 PM   #17
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Go ahead and fine Google, but at what point do you say that Apple should be held accountable as well? I kind of see this as a lock manufacturer (Apple) making a sub-standard lock (Safari) and selling it to customers. An intruder (Google) breaks in to the customer's house by easily busting the sub-standard lock.

The sub-standard security doesn't make what Google did right, but at some point the customer should be looking at Apple and asking "WTF are you providing me here?"

I still think iOS is better overall than any other mobile OS around, but I'm not against holding Apple to the fire for being lax in security.
You make a very valid point, and one that has been discussed a lot recently without so much as a peep out of the apple camp.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:

Ok, so if someone breaks into your house, and the police catch him, you're going to say "excuse me, Mr. Officer? I know he stole my TV but you really should lock me up too for not installing the best lock on my door. There are better ones and it's my fault for not buying one. Really, I deserve to be punished too."

I gotta say it: Really??
Small White Car is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #19
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:

So what you're saying here is that if I don't put a substantial lock on my house I deserve to get broken into and robbed because I didn't do enough to thwart the crriminals? Good Grief!
JHankwitz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 03:02 PM   #20
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:

...but I'm not against holding Apple to the fire for being lax in security.
Software is not static and is never going to be perfect. There's always going to be things to fix and improve upon. To claim that Apple was lax in their security is oversimplifying the situation. I'm not defending Apple, but rather pointing out your uninformed viewpoint on this matter. Now, if Apple hadn't fixed the problem to this day, then you'd have an argument, but they fixed it, right?

Google intentionally exploited the hole. Apple didn't intentionally create the hole. See the difference here?
coolfactor is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:44 AM   #21
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

So it's YOUR fault when a thief / burglar circumvents your security measures and steals from you?
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:39 AM   #22
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-don View Post
So it's YOUR fault when a thief / burglar circumvents your security measures and steals from you?
Not a good analogy, since the user asked Google to save the cookies.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:17 PM   #23
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:

sort of like the landlord statement

If you own your house and you get robbed because someone kicks in your door, you may think maybe I should have had a steel door and frame instead of a wooden one, but I hardly think anyone would debate who should be held accountable for the robbery between you and the thieves who broke down your door

Google is obviously to blame here, Apple just thought wooden doors were good enough and have since installed steel ones
AmpSkillz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:45 PM   #24
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Apple at some point should be held liable for not living up to their claims of security also. They sell this image that they're better than everyone else, that their products are of the highest security and when someone shows otherwise they play the wounded animal routine calling out "foul".

They (Apple) have yet to fix an issue in mobile Safari which allows a Javascript entry to spoof an entry into its mobile address bar. Sure Apple could blame Java but no other browser suffers from this problem.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:01 PM   #25
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

Google? Trampling our privacy? Say it ain't so!
GoldenJoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion