Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx181x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Hi there folks, I could use some advice on what software and settings to use to convert mkv files into mp4 playable for the ps3 with decent audio.

Now the facts I know is the file has to be in mp4, h.264 encoded, and AAC audio. To my understanding supposably the PS3 software can handle AC3 now and I wondering is that audio format better for surround sound?

In any cases here is my findings/issues. I originally played a full 1080 mp4 with H.264 and 6 channel AAC. While it played fine on my ps3 and my blu-ray player the audio sounded very low and in stereo.

In any cases I wasn't satisfied and now I am determined to figure out the audio issue. (Note if it can play on the PS3 I know also on the blu-ray player since they have a similar interface)

I have been using mp4tools to convert some of my MKV's and while I can get a good video and audio playback on the imac, I can't get the video to show on the PS3. Also is it possible to try to convert AC3 to a AAC 5.1 with 2 channel option?

I have debated of using mkvtools to extract the video and audio file but I don't know what software to use to drop it into a mp4 container.

I was using handbrake but the process takes to long and I'm still not sure what audio settings to have it on keep some kind of surround sound.

This is driving me crazy as I have another mp4 file thats AAC 5.1 and stereo and plays perfectly fine for audio.

My only other ideas is to either give iFunia MKV converter or iSkysoft iMedia converter a chance.

So please if anyone has experience in this please provide some info when possible, thank you.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Get yourself a cheap mediaplayer that can allready play al those media files and save yourself the trouble of having to convert everything all the time.
:)

priyanride

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
Another option is to keep your movies on your Mac (or PC) and use PS3 Media Server to transcode/feed them to your PS3.

Yes, PS3 media server will stream and encode almost any kind of video on the fly from your computer to your PS3. Hi def video can be a little bumpy if your processor isn't up to encoding it fast enough to watch, though.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yes, PS3 media server will stream and encode almost any kind of video on the fly from your computer to your PS3. Hi def video can be a little bumpy if your processor isn't up to encoding it fast enough to watch, though.
That's probably true. I have a 1st gen Core i3 processor and a 200 Mbps Powerline adapter between my router and the PS3, and HD movies play pretty well! We had a lot of stuttering when using wireless G, but after ditching that and getting a Powerline it's been great.

armadaone

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
I've actually got the same question. I often connect my MB with a duo core but half the time it can't transcode them fast enough. Any ideas how to keep the 5.1 when encoding the video? I find quicktime the fastest and easiest but they've yet to set it up for anything but stereo. Thanks.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've actually got the same question. I often connect my MB with a duo core but half the time it can't transcode them fast enough. Any ideas how to keep the 5.1 when encoding the video? I find quicktime the fastest and easiest but they've yet to set it up for anything but stereo. Thanks.

Have you tried PS3 Media Server for on-the-fly transcoding and streaming? I can't tell what you're referring to when you mentioned Quicktime. If you're trying to convert video files in advance due to a slower CPU, Handbrake will do the trick while preserving your 5.1. You need to go into the audio section and tell it not to mix down to stereo, though. I believe the audio option you'd want is "5.1 passthru".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.