Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png

Apple Retail Stores will sell the Nest thermostat, according to a report from iLounge.

The Nest is the brainchild of Tony Fadell, one of the co-creators of the original iPod. A Wi-Fi enabled thermostat that learns from the user and promises significant energy savings, not to mention a much greater ease of use than traditional "smart" thermostats.

The Nest's iPhone app allows users to check and change their Nest's temperature and schedule remotely. It also allows users to view the history of their heating and cooling systems over the past 10 days. It's available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

The thermostat will be sold for $249, the same price as on the Nest web store. Nest has also expanded its distribution to Lowe's.

Article Link: Apple Stores to Sell Nest Thermostat

Wildog27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Is it just me, or is this actually kind of a big deal? Selling a third party product that has an Apple design ethic that stretches out of consumer electronics into home lifestyle seems to be a step into another area that Apple hasn't been in before.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Is it just me, or is this actually kind of a big deal? Selling a third party product that has an Apple design ethic that stretches out of consumer electronics into home lifestyle seems to be a step into another area that Apple hasn't been in before.

I don't think they would be selling them if they hadn't been created by Tony Fadell.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

I don't know how usual/unusual this is; but it strikes me as a very positive step. Nice to see a good working relationship between Apple and (the new employer of) an ex-Apple staffer.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
This sounds as weird as Apple agreeing to sell TiVos in their stores.
...which actually almost happened once. Seriously.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/27648/

I worked at Apple Retail back then, and even got a partner discount on their annual subscription before the whole thing fell through.

I don't think the "control it from your iPhone!" connection is strong enough for this to make sense.

May 8, 2008
[sarcasm]I can't wait to see more 'Should I Get the Nest?' or 'Tell Me More About the Nest' threads.[/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO

I don't think they would be selling them if they hadn't been created by Tony Fadell.
Apple sells iPhone enabled scales, blood pressure cuffs, and meat thermometers.

This isn't surprising at all. What IS surprising is that it took this long.

rjdesign

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Central Coast CA
Own one. Love it. Comes with three different mounting applications. I prefer the clean look with no back plate.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.JPG
    IMG_4171.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 520

stomachdoc

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2004
Outside of Boston
I have three of them so far. Beautiful device, fantastic interface and highly functional. Right up Apple's alley. Was developed with Al Gore VC money, so there are lots of Apple connections here

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I have one also. Awesome product especially for a 1.0 release. I recommend it for any gadget people especially if you like to control stuff from your phone/iPad.

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Maybe Apple should make central heating systems next. How about a wifi-enabled iBoiler?

Just think, as well as heating your water, the iBoiler would claim to be more energy efficient than other boilers, and would feature an iPod dock and sync with iTunes.

It would also take voice commands using Siri and every time you fill the bath or turn on the hot tap to do the washing up it take photos of you with its built in camera, and send them all to Apple.

Apple will then look at all this data, and then cackle profusely, knowing that it has taken another step along the road of completely dominating your whole life.

You'd also need to retrain Apple Geniuses to diagnose leaking heat exchangers and offer advice on preventing gas explosions.

But apart from all that, I think that it would be sensible. Maybe they should just go for it and forget the next iPhone? :rolleyes: ;) :D

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

I think they are selling it because it is a very high-end "appccessory" -- I think they sell a few items in the Apple stores that have iOS apps to go along with them.

UPDATE: Nevermind, two previous posters pointed out the same thing -- sorry for being repetitively and unnecessarily redundant all over again.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
i almost ordered one of these a few weeks ago. Was going to get it thru amazon as i had a gift card to use. Then i found that whoever is selling them on amazon has the MSRP as $399.00 and sells it at a "discount" for mid $300's

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I just saw this at lowes and was amazed at how good it looked. I'm interested to read some reviews.

I have one, and I can't say enough good things about it. I saw a huge reduction in the number of hours my heating system ran over the winter, and I'm looking forward to similar savings on A/C this summer.

The reviews on the internet are just about universally positive... the one downside being that it costs $250. HOWEVER $250 is well in line with mid-range programmable thermostats, and the Nest is *far and away* a better device than anything in that price range.

It's also really important to remember that if you buy any other thermostat, what you get on day one is what you'll have 10 years later. The Nest software, however, is being constantly upgraded. They added a badass new feature that will run your fan after your A/C compressor shuts off to use up the extra cold that is stored in the core and "coast" the last degree or two up to the desired temperature (which I can't wait to try... it only works when temperature and humidity conditions make it possible, and we haven't been dry enough yet). And they just started emailing out monthly energy audits that show you how your energy usage stacks up against the national average.

The leap in technology from the previous generation of thermostat to the Nest is like going from a 2000-era flip phone to the original iPhone. It's a total game-changer. (Oh, and an iPhone won't save you 20% on your home heating bill).

Go back to Lowes and buy the darn thing right now!

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Looks really great Can't wait to order a couple of these for my home.

They talk to each other if you have multiple zones in your house, so you get the benefits of multiple auto-away, temperature, and humidity sensors. Soooo fancy.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Anyone in the UK use one? We don't have AC here, and in London I only run my heating October to April.

However our 24 hour timer is hopeless at managing our routine (odd hours, school holidays, babysitters etc) so something more intelligent like a Nest might help. Only if it saves money though.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I've had a Nest for about 6 months now, love it! Savings were high during winter, spring energy usage is has been less than last year too. The learning feature has been perfect, I love that it knows when you're away and I can remotely activate it if we're on our way home at an off time, perfection!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I love the design, iPhone app, and some of the smart features (like coasting). But I see little values in "learning" and "away" features. If taking some of these smart features out means reduction in price (e.g., $200), I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
We have one of these and love it. Yes its expensive but man does it work well, look good, and make energy management efficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.