Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
dsciel
macrumors regular

New Macbook Pro 13 specs?

Saw this specs from a Chinese website claiming to be the new specs for Macbook Pro 13'

Hope it is fake because I just sold my macbook pro and waiting for a Retina and Quad Core 13 inch model.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68_4649469_6191093e652e866.jpg
Views:	5065
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	341838  
dsciel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
younker
macrumors member

This is fake. Don't trust this.
younker is offline   -24 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Link?
pgiguere1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4
mikeo007
macrumors 65816

I hope not, but this wouldn't surprise me.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

I just played with effects in Photoshop in hope of proving this was shopped. Unfortunately, it looks very real and some details like the fact that the label SKU (bottom right) and weight (2.06kg instead of 2.04kg) are slightly different make it look real .

I'd like to be proved this is an elaborate fake, but it's not looking good. Perhaps Apple would release only a redesigned 15" and keep the current 13" for a generation until the 13" MBA finally replaces it, kind of like the white MacBook that they kept alongside the Aluminium MacBook introduced in 2008.
pgiguere1 is offline   71 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:03 PM   #6
mikeo007
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post

I just played with effects in Photoshop in hope of proving this was shopped. Unfortunately, it looks very real and some details like the fact that the label SKU (bottom right) and weight (2.06kg instead of 2.04kg) are slightly different make it look real .

I'd like to be proved this is an elaborate fake, but it's not looking good. Perhaps Apple would release only a redesigned 15" and keep the current 13" for a generation until the 13" MBA finally replaces it, kind of like the white MacBook that they kept alongside the Aluminium MacBook introduced in 2008.
Or maybe they trolled everyone...
I know people shouldn't have gotten their hopes up since Apple never promised anything, but...it's pretty disappointing if this is just another spec bump Macbook year, which it seems this may be.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Quote:

Thanks for your analysis. I think you're right.
Haven't similar images of labels accurately predicted products before?
justinfreid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:20 AM   #8
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Well if real the DVD is still there for everyone freaking out last week.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:48 AM   #9
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Excuse me, but wouldn't it be trivial for someone to create that in Word, print it then photograph it?
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:42 AM   #10
toshgiles
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Perhaps Apple would release only a redesigned 15" and keep the current 13" for a generation until the 13" MBA finally replaces it, kind of like the white MacBook that they kept alongside the Aluminium MacBook introduced in 2008.
And who is to say this won't be the new $999 Mac?
toshgiles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Ozkr16
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Make some photoshop art over a real specs image, then print the result, then take a pic of that, and voila! No photoshop traces.
Ozkr16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:55 AM   #12
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:

I just played with effects in Photoshop in hope of proving this was shopped.
Photoshopping isn't the only way to make a fake. You can download the fonts used by Apple and make your own sticker and put it on an old box and photograph that. Looks real, passes the 'shop test etc.

That said, I suspect the general idea where is correct. IF they put a Retina display in any of the MBP series it is possible it will be left out of the 13 inch model. That's a classic Apple move. Putting 7200RPM drives or an SSD in the 15/17 and not the 13, same game.

Hell a lot of folks think they should dump the 13 inch pro completely, up the storage, processors etc in the Air and just have that 13 inch as THE choice. If you want to go 'Pro' with the superdrive etc you go for the 15 inch. And if the pricing was right that might not be a bad plan.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:09 PM   #13
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

It wouldn’t take much to make a document and copy a barcode and statement from the current MBP from Apples documents. Reprint it and take a photo with your phone.So it could be faked.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #14
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Given adequate time, I could easily PS something of that real quality using only a pic of the specs from the current box. Don't believe this.

I REALLY hope that the next MBP won't have retina display. That is such a plus for me. I am so visually oriented that I couldn't live without the retina displays on my iDevices.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:13 PM   #15
andrewzz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younker View Post
This is fake. Don't trust this.
If this rumor is true, I'm shorting AAPL - this company is no longer the leader but rather a timid follower, the beginning of the end.
andrewzz is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #16
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewzz View Post
If this rumor is true, I'm shorting AAPL - this company is no longer the leader but rather a timid follower, the beginning of the end.
Holy crap people....really? Yeah, ok, believe that buddy
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #17
dcmurrin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewzz View Post
Yeah, that's the attitude <rolls eyes>.I've been hearing that since the late 90's. Now there are millions wishing they had bought MORE AAPL.

Good lord, some of these posts. Apple comes out with good spec's on their entry level laptop and you would think from reading here that the world has ended. LOL.
dcmurrin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:27 AM   #18
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Love this sort of thing before a roll-out.
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:55 AM   #19
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Well in case no one noticed, this is the same source that leaked the MacBook Pro specs last year, and we know how that turned out. It was spot on.

If seems this is legit. Lets assume it is. This raises allot of questions, first this indicates that the 13 MBP is going away. The Air 13 inch is still not on par power wise as the 13 MBP. Apple knows this. Hence the need for the 13 inch MBP.

Second, if this leak is true, Apple feels that the Air is not enough for power users, yet. Once the Air 13 inch can do everything the 13 MBP can do you will see it gone.

Why have two 13 inch laptops that can do the same thing? You can only make a 13 inch so thin and not give up performance. The 13 Air isn't there yet. This leaked 13 inch will run cooler and better. The i5 ivy bridge is almost on par with last years Sandy bridge i7. GPU 4000 is better than 3000 and the inclusion of USB 3.0 is a given. Bigger battery?

And lets not forget, a Quad core i7 may be avail.

The screen is disappointing though if this leak is real.

Last edited by iamthedudeman; Jun 5, 2012 at 06:08 AM.
iamthedudeman is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:00 AM   #20
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthedudeman View Post
I figured it out! Retinas will be BTO at price X. This will keep starting prices low while giving new bells and whistles to those who got the moneyz.

This would be consistent with all the rumors to date. The spec sheet and retinas coming.
omenatarhuri is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 AM   #21
gto55
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy

1280x800
gto55 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:31 AM   #22
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
I figured it out! Retinas will be BTO at price X. This will keep starting prices low while giving new bells and whistles to those who got the moneyz.

This would be consistent with all the rumors to date. The spec sheet and retinas coming.
i agree that retina should be optional for now until they can get the cost down..
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:38 AM   #23
mrmarts
macrumors 65816

I just sold my Mac book pro in a hope to buy a MacBook with a overhaul in hardware and a redesign to feel like its new machine. Also the retina display would justify the buy based on my constant use of my iPad. But to buy a MacBook with slight changes USB 3.0 for one is a money waster for me if this should happen I will be using only a iPad till next years WWDC.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:39 AM   #24
AppleInMyBlood
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthedudeman View Post
Well in case no one noticed, this is the same source that leaked the MacBook Pro specs last year, and we know how that turned out. It was spot on.

If seems this is legit. Lets assume it is. This raises allot of questions, first this indicates that the 13 MBP is going away. The Air 13 inch is still not on par power wise as the 13 MBP. Apple knows this. Hence the need for the 13 inch MBP.

Second, if this leak is true, Apple feels that the Air is not enough for power users, yet. Once the Air 13 inch can do everything the 13 MBP can do you will see it gone.

Why have two 13 inch laptops that can do the same thing? You can only make a 13 inch so thin and not give up performance. The 13 Air isn't there yet. This leaked 13 inch will run cooler and better. The i5 ivy bridge is almost on par with last years Sandy bridge i7. GPU 4000 is better than 3000 and the inclusion of USB 3.0 is a given. Bigger battery?

And lets not forget, a Quad core i7 may be avail.

I would put money (well, Monopoly money) on this. There's been so much talk of the revamped 15" with little to no rumors of a 13" or 17" redesign. I agree that the 13" MPB will get this silent upgrade, then hang around until the MBA gets up to MBP power standards.

The 15" MBP will be the big portable news at WWDC, then I still think a similar 17" will follow a few months later.

It may seem a little odd to have the 13" MBP be the only portable left with a SuperDrive (and I guess the existing 17", too, until it gets replaced or, heaven forbid, EOLed), but it's possible.

</speculation> What do I know? But I love the fact this news raises so many questions, as iamthedudeman said. Can't wait until the keynote!!

Last edited by AppleInMyBlood; Jun 5, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
AppleInMyBlood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInMyBlood View Post
I would put money (well, Monopoly money) on this. There's been so much talk of the revamped 15" with little to no rumors of a 13" or 17" redesign. My hunch is, as said above, the 13" MPB will get this silent upgrade, then hang around until the MBA gets up to MBP power standards. The 15" will be the big portable news at WWDC, then a similar 17" will follow a few months later.

But what do I know? Can't wait until the keynote!!
I think you're going to be feeling very disappointed after the keynote.
314631 is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro