Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Has the yellow tint issue been resolved?

Hey all,

I returned my 9th iPad last week after it had a very strong yellow tint. The previous 8 iPads all had various problems, some worse than others... mostly involving the hue of the screen, but also dead pixels, scratches, etc. I was offered a refund and accepted it, and decided to just wait until the iPad 3S or whatever it will be called.

My question is to anyone who has purchased the iPad 3 recently. Did you get a good screen? I'm finding I can't live without my iPad and want to try #10, but I'm already feeling guilty about the whole thing...
Raftysworld is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Hey all,

I returned my 9th iPad last week after it had a very strong yellow tint. The previous 8 iPads all had various problems, some worse than others... mostly involving the hue of the screen, but also dead pixels, scratches, etc. I was offered a refund and accepted it, and decided to just wait until the iPad 3S or whatever it will be called.

My question is to anyone who has purchased the iPad 3 recently. Did you get a good screen? I'm finding I can't live without my iPad and want to try #10, but I'm already feeling guilty about the whole thing...
If you are that picky, I would wait until next gen when they move to a different screen technology.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

To OP: I immediately returned my launch day yellow, gray, pink and green splotchy screen new iPad for a full refund.

I waited until the second week in May and purchased one from Best Buy. Week 16, DY serial number. It is without a doubt perfect. Whites are white, screen is bright and clear, no discoloration, yellow or otherwise, anywhere!

Not sure if all of yours were purchased from Apple but perhaps try another source if that's the case?
Tikatika is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

No issues here. *knocks on wood*
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
If you are that picky, I would wait until next gen when they move to a different screen technology.
What new technology? They just switched to Retina, that's the latest screen technology.
Rodster is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:00 PM   #6
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
What new technology? They just switched to Retina, that's the latest screen technology.
Retina is a marketing term Apple uses to describe a high resolution screen. Its not really a technology in itself. There are other high resolution display technologies for tablets launching soon.
barkomatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Justin Luck
macrumors regular

I bought an ipad 3 on launch day, but the yellow and pink blotches on the screen were too distracting for me. I had to go back to my galaxy tab 10.1. The resolution and speed are no where near as good, but the color is 100% uniform with no backlight bleeding or tinting. I've been waiting for apple to get their screen issues sorted out, but because it is still a gamble, I will take a look at the asus infinity and see how it stacks up in performance and screen quality control.
Justin Luck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:54 AM   #8
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple was rumored to use IGZO display for iPad 3, but didn't happen due to manufacturing issues. They will prob switch to that display for the next one.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:57 AM   #9
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple was rumored to use IGZO display for iPad 3, but didn't happen due to manufacturing issues. They will prob switch to that display for the next one.
I think it was because they couldn't make enough of them (IGZO panels) in time for iPad 3
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:11 AM   #10
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
How is that compared to retina on the current new iPad ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:36 AM   #11
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
How is that compared to retina on the current new iPad ?
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:54 AM   #12
thegreati
macrumors regular

Apple consumers are so nit picky and spoiled. I guess that's what Apple deserves for being so damn expensive.
thegreati is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Thierry ba
macrumors 6502

My iPhone4S has yellow screen but Im getting used to it.
Thierry ba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
henriknorem
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry ba View Post
My iPhone4S has yellow screen but Im getting used to it.
Yellow screen is okay, the problem is when only half the screen is yellow and the rest is another color
henriknorem is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #15
gri
macrumors 6502a

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriknorem View Post
Yellow screen is okay, the problem is when only half the screen is yellow and the rest is another color
Not if your 2 year old iPad 2 looks better and crisper in color then your 0 day old iPad 4 (Retina display, hate their new naming of the iPad, stupid idea). I switched both on, went to the same webpage and asked my wife which one would be the newer one - sure enough she pointed to the iPad 2. And I paid $800 to get an inferior screen compared to the old device??
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:20 AM   #16
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

My iPad 3 bought online and delivered to the Apple store launch day had a beautiful bright, bluish-white screen with no issues. I'm gifting that one and purchased an iPad 4 from the Apple store with a yellow tint on one side. I returned it and ended up with 2 more from the Apple store with various yellow tint issues. All were black and had Verizon 4G. The first 2 were 64 GB and the third time I got 32 GB to see if it made any difference. I was ready to give up and then bought a white, 64 GB without 4G from Best Buy and got a perfect screen. It is a warmer screen than than the one on my iPad 3 but perfect white with no yellow tint anywhere and I prefer it to the bluish-white screen - easier on the eyes. I only mention that it came from Best Buy because of previous posts. I really think it is just the luck of the draw, but the yellow tint is definitely an issue and those who think it isn't were just lucky the first time or aren't very picky. This is the first time I have returned an Apple product for any reason.
bevsb2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Interesting observation: No one with a "white" screen has actually posted a picture yet.
Raftysworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:34 AM   #18
barjam
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.
Class action lawsuit? You don't know what that term means if you think it applies here.
barjam is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:34 PM   #19
JMG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
it's a sad fact, but i think eventually Apple will work with the suppliers to get it right.

i'm just glad i went with an ipad 2 refurb 16GB wifi for $319. i was tempted to get the new iPad when i tried it out in the store. while i didn't see any yellow tinted screens, those iPads were insanely hot just for sitting there. now granted they were on 100% brightness, but i keep my iPad 2 at 85% so i'm not too far off

i think the iPad 3 or "new" iPad is a brilliant feat of engineering, i just think the way it was executed doesn't historically follow the polished nature of Apple's products
Your loss. The heat is well within spec and there are about a million or more happy ipad3 customers out there who don't have yellow screens or overheating issues. And I don't think you really know what you are talking about when you say the iPad 3 doesn't follow the polished nature of apple's products. The iPhone 4 had antenna and heat issues. The first MacBook pro had heat issues, iMacs have screen issues, the iPod classic had click wheel issues... The list is long and if anything this is par for the course. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the retina display like the other millions of people. IMHO you made a mistake.

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
Your loss. The heat is well within spec and there are about a million or more happy ipad3 customers out there who don't have yellow screens or overheating issues. And I don't think you really know what you are talking about when you say the iPad 3 doesn't follow the polished nature of apple's products. The iPhone 4 had antenna and heat issues. The first MacBook pro had heat issues, iMacs have screen issues, the iPod classic had click wheel issues... The list is long and if anything this is par for the course. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the retina display like the other millions of people. IMHO you made a mistake.
oh trust me, i'm not at a loss at all. in fact i'm completely happy with my iPad 2 purchase and i saved a considerable amount of money. it's not considered "my loss" if i don't see the value of the benefits of the "new" iPad weighed against the negatives.

iPhone 4 was a flagrant design flaw and resulted in a class action suit. i don't think any of the negatives of the "new" iPad would result in that. i'm not aware of these rampant screen issues in iMacs and Macbook Pros still tend to get very hot, but much of that is caused by the heat going through the unibody vs being insulated with plastic.

don't get me wrong, the retina display is wonderful as i also have it on my 4S. however, i did not find it to be the best choice for me. enjoy the retina on your ipad
Medic311 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:15 AM   #21
JMG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
oh trust me, i'm not at a loss at all. in fact i'm completely happy with my iPad 2 purchase and i saved a considerable amount of money. it's not considered "my loss" if i don't see the value of the benefits of the "new" iPad weighed against the negatives.
I'm glad you are happy with the older model. It's just ridiculous that you think you somehow dodged a bullet with the supposed iPad 3 heat issues. The only bullet you dodged was a sharper clearer screen and faster processor and better battery life.

Quote:
iPhone 4 was a flagrant design flaw and resulted in a class action suit. i don't think any of the negatives of the "new" iPad would result in that.
Who said it would? It still proves my point, lawsuit or not.

Quote:
i'm not aware of these rampant screen issues in iMacs and Macbook Pros still tend to get very hot, but much of that is caused by the heat going through the unibody vs being insulated with plastic.
The early MacBook pros got hot due to ineffective application of thermal paste. It has nothing to do with being insulated. That's not even an argument.

The last gen iMac had screen issues such as dead pixels and discoloration as well as the cinema displays. In fact, I had a dead pixel just last month on a brand new cinema display.

Again, problems like this are nothing new, which is my counter to your claim that the new iPad3 doesn't follow the "polished nature" of apple products. Apple has had many problems with new products in the past, and this is par for the course. How they handle it is what makes them the successful company that they are.

Quote:
don't get me wrong, the retina display is wonderful as i also have it on my 4S. however, i did not find it to be the best choice for me. enjoy the retina on your ipad
Based on the fact that the reasons you gave in your post are invalid if you look at the facts, there is an overwhelming chance that you did not make a well informed ie best choice. Of course there could be other factors that you just haven't mentioned yet, but I didn't take those into account since I can only speculate.

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV

Last edited by JMG; Jun 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
JMG is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm glad you are happy with the older model. It's just ridiculous that you think you somehow dodged a bullet with the supposed iPad 3 heat issues. The only bullet you dodged was a sharper clearer screen and faster processor and better battery life.
faster processor? the bump in graphics was just to support the retina display, nothing else. your "new" iPad won't load anything faster than my iPad 2.

battery life? the iPad 2 has better battery life.

the only feature i gave up by going with the iPad 2 was the retina screen and dictation. both of which were not worth an extra $180 for me. the only reason why i posted in the first place was to say that i'm glad i went with my choice, especially experiencing the heat issues first hand. as mentioned i didn't experience the yellow tinted screens, but the extra heat bothered me. how is that a "supposed" heat issue when i experience it for myself (not like many people who just read the forums). within spec and within comfort are two different things. just b/c the spec of components call out for such and such degrees, does that mean that your hand is sufficiently comfortable holding it?

Quote:
Who said it would? It still proves my point, lawsuit or not.
what the hell is your point anyways? you just cut up my post into discrete chunks and quote them without realizing the entire meaning of the following paragraphs. what i said does nothing to support your claimed "point" because my purchase preference is independent of whether or not a defect results in a class action suit. i hate responding to people this way, but there is no way to address everything without doing it too

Quote:
The early MacBook pros got hot due to ineffective application of thermal paste. It has nothing to do with being insulated. That's not even an argument.
incorrect application of thermal paste happens a lot, not just to Macbook Pros. due to the aluminum unibody though, the consumer would feel an incorrect thermal paste application more easily than if it was plastic (hence all of the complaints of the hot bottom against people's legs). on a typical dell, incorrect application of thermal paste might not be realized by the consumer until components are actually damaged (besides the fact that the fan is on OD constantly). that is all i was saying, you misread again

Quote:

Again, problems like this are nothing new, which is my counter to your claim that the new iPad3 doesn't follow the "polished nature" of apple products. Apple has had many problems with new products in the past, and this is par for the course. How they handle it is what makes them the successful company that they are.
yes, that is my opinion. i don't find the iPad 3 / "new" iPad to be as polished of a device as the iPad 2. are you going to keep flipping out in a forum until i change my mind?

Quote:

Based on the fact that the reasons you gave in your post are invalid if you look at the facts, there is an overwhelming chance that you did not make a well informed ie best choice. Of course there could be other factors that you just haven't mentioned yet, but I didn't take those into account since I can only speculate.
let's kindly review my reasons again to determine the facts:

1) iPad 2 refurb was $319 vs iPad 3 at $499
2) iPad 2 runs cool and the iPad 3 was uncomfortable to hold for more than 5 minutes
3) iPad 2 charging time meets my needs better due to my line of work
4) iPad 2 screen is perfectly sufficient for my tasks, the retina screen for +$180 would be overkill

you have no basis for calling my reasoning invalid.
Medic311 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #23
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
faster processor? the bump in graphics was just to support the retina display, nothing else. your "new" iPad won't load anything faster than my iPad 2.

you have no basis for calling my reasoning invalid.
Yup, watching this Youtube video proves both the 2 and the 3 are on par with each other performance wise. And sometimes the iPad 2 is a wee bit quicker.
Rodster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:38 PM   #24
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yup, watching this Youtube video proves both the 2 and the 3 are on par with each other performance wise. And sometimes the iPad 2 is a wee bit quicker.
exactly.

every time i read someone state that their iPad 3 is faster than the iPad 2, i congratulate apple for brilliant marketing.

as they say - "you can't fix stupid"
Medic311 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #25
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Oops I forgot to post the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYxX6qKRO5M

Quote:
exactly.
every time i read someone state that their iPad 3 is faster than the iPad 2, i congratulate apple for brilliant marketing.

as they say - "you can't fix stupid"
Rodster is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad