Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Surely

The NHL 2012 off-season thread. Lockout over!

As requested, welcome to the NHL 2012 off-season thread.

If anyone wants to see the 2011-2012 NHL season thread, it is here.

I guess we'll use this thread to discuss any trade or free agent signing speculation. I'm sure we'll also get into the upcoming CBA negotiations, and probable strike/lockout.

Last edited by Surely; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:34 PM   #2
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
As requested, welcome to the NHL 2012 off-season thread.

If anyone wants to see the 2011-2012 NHL season thread, it is here.

I guess we'll use this thread to discuss any trade or free agent signing speculation. I'm sure we'll also get into the upcoming CBA negotiations, and probable strike/lockout.
I do like that someone downvoted you already and I didn't have to do it for a change.

What I'm watching:
- Bruins need a #1 goalie so there should be some news on Tuukka and Thomas coming up in the next week or so (I heard by 6/25).
- Bruins need a top forward but Chiarelli doesn't seem eager to get anyone given that he doesn't know the rules for next season yet.
- I'm pretty worried that the season is not going to open on time... I just don't see how it will given the current positioning. Both sides are going to need to feel some pain to give in at all.

Other news:
I ran into Daniel Paille and his wife Dana on Saturday walking around my neighborhood in Boston. Got to talk to him for ~10-15 mins. They are very cool, down to earth people.
MooneyFlyer is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooneyFlyer View Post
I do like that someone downvoted you already and I didn't have to do it for a change.
Meh, doesn't matter. I can't see the votes anymore. They don't exist to me.....

Quote:
- I'm pretty worried that the season is not going to open on time... I just don't see how it will given the current positioning. Both sides are going to need to feel some pain to give in at all.
Well, at least the Bruins already have your $$$$.
Surely is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #4
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well, at least the Bruins already have your $$$$.
That is a very good point -- and they have for several months now I might add. I think I paid in March. That would be at least 2 of those new fully loaded Macbook Pro's...
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:58 PM   #5
malman89
macrumors 68000

Pretty avid Puck Daddy reader - didn't really start reading his stuff regularly until the end of the regular season, but been hooked since, and man does he have a lot of stuff going on today.

- Gary Bettman could take over New Jersey Devils, according to NY Post - even with their ~$30mil in postseason sales, they're woefully short on an upcoming bank payment and drowning in debt. It's in case the current ownership group can't work something out, but interesting.

- Radulov probably heading back to the KHL

- Should Edmonton draft Neil Yakupov, regardless of their stocked talent up fnort, when he's clearly the best player in the draft? Or anti-Russian hysterics combined with addressing direct needs (defense) be the route taken?

- Then, Angry hockey mom turned viral video star explains her on-ice tirade against refs (Video) is worth a watch
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:02 PM   #6
leekohler
Banned

I'm wondering what the Hawks are gonna do with Kane. The more I hear, the worse his drinking issues sound.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
How the hell did Karlsson win the Norris? That's crazy. It's best DEFENSEman. He barely plays on the penalty kill. Weber probably should have won.
Agreed. They should have waited until he rounded out his game before nominating him for this.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:35 AM   #8
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
How the hell did Karlsson win the Norris? That's crazy. It's best DEFENSEman. He barely plays on the penalty kill. Weber probably should have won.

Glad Patrice Bergeron finally got his Selke. He deserves it.
Quote:
Agreed. They should have waited until he rounded out his game before nominating him for this.
Weber was robbed. I didn't think Chara had a real chance. The guy had some serious turnovers this year while putting in a lot of ice time. Like the nomination but 3rd was probably right.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Schedules are out:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635434&cmpid=twt
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:20 AM   #10
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Man that was quick with the schedules.......... And just think Oct is right around the corner!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #11
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Man that was quick with the schedules.......... And just think Oct is right around the corner!
I should have said "tentative schedules are out" -- hopefully CBA goes smoothly.
MooneyFlyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:50 PM   #12
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
home opener vs montreal.. when do tickets go on sale??
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:23 PM   #13
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Home opener vs Montreal. When do tickets go on sale??
Have you had your first-born yet??
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:45 PM   #14
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
home opener vs montreal.. when do tickets go on sale??
In theory, I have mine... err -- The Bruins have cashed the $8400 check I sent them.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:14 PM   #15
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
and I am once again proven why I know nothing about hockey-

I predicted a quiet draft and we got the opposite in one trade
Hey, I thought it would be pretty quiet too because of the CBA stuff. Shrug

They were talking about the Sharks on HockeyCentral @ Noon today. They said that the Sharks have never made a profit in all the years they've been there. I couldn't believe it- that's a long time to keep taking a loss!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:38 PM   #16
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hey, I thought it would be pretty quiet too because of the CBA stuff. Shrug

They were talking about the Sharks on HockeyCentral @ Noon today. They said that the Sharks have never made a profit in all the years they've been there. I couldn't believe it- that's a long time to keep taking a loss!
Can you share a link?
I really don't see how that is possible.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Surely

Quote:
Can you share a link?
I really don't see how that is possible.
Here is the direct link to today's podcast:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan590_hockeycentral

They start talking about it at around 33:30. They're talking about the cap, and how it's projected to go up to around $70 million. Spector mentions that the Sharks said they lost $15 million last season, and Marek says that he was told today that the Sharks have never made money in all the years that they've been in SJ.

If you can't jump ahead to the right moment in your browser, go to iTunes and do a search for "Hockey Central @ Noon", and it's June 22nd's podcast.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:00 AM   #18
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Here is the direct link to today's podcast:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan590_hockeycentral

They start talking about it at around 33:30. They're talking about the cap, and how it's projected to go up to around $70 million. Spector mentions that the Sharks said they lost $15 million last season, and Marek says that he was told today that the Sharks have never made money in all the years that they've been in SJ.

If you can't jump ahead to the right moment in your browser, go to iTunes and do a search for "Hockey Central @ Noon", and it's June 22nd's podcast.
the 15 mill this past year i can confirm-that was revealed.

But I really dont believe we have been losing money since day 1

its just not possible.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:35 AM   #19
Surely

Quote:
the 15 mill this past year i can confirm-that was revealed.

But I really dont believe we have been losing money since day 1

its just not possible.
I don't know if to believe it or not, but these guys have good reputations. They aren't the type to just say anything or make something up.

With the NHL, anything is possible.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:07 AM   #20
Surely

^^^^yeah, true enough. that whole situation is a big mess.

After reading @TSNBobMcKenzie's tweets from tonight about the CBA negotiations, I'm starting to feel more pessimistic about the upcoming season. Son of a....
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:32 PM   #21
malman89
macrumors 68000

Yes, I think Nash can easily still suit up and even wear the C for CBJ because honestly, who else is there?

CBA owner's proposal was just a dream scenario. Players will now counter with an equally ridiculous proposal and then they'll search for a middle ground. The issue is how long it's going to take them to reach it. Unless they start going into serious discussion sessions (can't we get that now? 2 days a week here and there is nothing), it's not going to move anywhere. I don't want them to wait until September 1 to get on that or we will be looking at a delayed start no doubt.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:56 PM   #22
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
^^^^yeah, true enough. that whole situation is a big mess.

After reading @TSNBobMcKenzie's tweets from tonight about the CBA negotiations, I'm starting to feel more pessimistic about the upcoming season. Son of a....
Agree. I say January. It is true that the counter will be stupid as well but no one has incentive to move unless there is some pain. Missing 2-3 months of hockey should be enough pain.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:47 PM   #23
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Agree. I say January. It is true that the counter will be stupid as well but no one has incentive to move unless there is some pain. Missing 2-3 months of hockey should be enough pain.
I'm still sitting on Thanksgiving, but it's too soon to tell. January might as well call it a season. Maybe not literally (some hockey is better than no hockey), but a half season at best would be so terrible.

If the season starts late, I guess I'm going to be frequenting many more Plymouth Whalers games now that I'm back in Michigan for some cheap OHL action.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:36 PM   #24
Surely

If there is no Winter Classic, I'll be pissed the F off. I really want to see those alumni games.
Surely is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:17 PM   #25
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
I'm still sitting on Thanksgiving, but it's too soon to tell. January might as well call it a season. Maybe not literally (some hockey is better than no hockey), but a half season at best would be so terrible.

If the season starts late, I guess I'm going to be frequenting many more Plymouth Whalers games now that I'm back in Michigan for some cheap OHL action.
We will not start on time-there will be a very small delay. Late October/early November. In fact, I can see the NHL pulling an NBA and starting the season on the Friday after thanksgiving, like the NBA did on Christmas.
Quote:
If there is no Winter Classic, I'll be pissed the F off. I really want to see those alumni games.
If we dont have hockey in January we will have far bigger problems then no Winter Classic-we may be mourning the loss of a sport that will be officially dead in America-

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion