Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Call of Duty: Black Ops Coming to Mac This Fall, Half-Price Sale on Older CoD Titles

Call of Duty: Black Ops, the bestselling first-person shooter, is coming to the Mac this fall from Aspyr.

Pricing and system requirements have not been announced, but the game will include the full single-player campaign, multiplayer, and both co-op and single-player Zombie mode.
Quote:
Aspyr Media, Inc., the leader in Mac game publishing, announced today that Activision Publishing, Inc.'s record-setting Call of Dutyģ: Black Ops will be coming to the Mac. Developed originally by award-winning studio Treyarch and brought to the Mac by Aspyr Media, the Mac version of the epic Call of Dutyģ blockbuster will be available on Macs worldwide in digital and boxed formats this fall.

Call of Duty: Black Ops takes players to conflicts across the globe as elite black operations forces fight in the deniable operations and secret wars that occurred under the veil of the Cold War. Featuring an adrenaline-pumping single-player campaign, out-of-this-world Zombies co-operative game mode, and an incredibly deep multiplayer experience, Call of Duty: Black Ops delivers the complete Call of Duty experience with amazing enhanced graphics, streaming texture technology, and superior lighting effects for the most immersive and cinematic action.

Along with the Black Ops announcement, Aspyr has put Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, and Call of Duty 4 on sale for 50% off on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] and the GameAgent digital download store.

Article Link: Call of Duty: Black Ops Coming to Mac This Fall, Half-Price Sale on Older CoD Titles
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Battlefield Fan
Banned

A year late...
Battlefield Fan is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
A year late...
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

Iím for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.
Over The Hill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

The entire series is overpriced for their age and qualities.

I enjoyed the first two YEARS ago, but seeing them at those prices now is a bit ridiculous.

Then again I just checked on Steam and the windows versions are as expensive if not more, even if they have been there since late 2006 (6+ years old games should see a declining price). At least Steam offers packs (that are still overpriced).

I wonder if the latest games are true ports or Cider wrappers?
Torrijos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Icaras
macrumors 601

Great news! I just hope Aspyr can fill in the gaps and bring out World at War and/or MW2 next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hill View Post
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

I’m for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.
Exactly. Even though I have bootcamp, I'm just not a day 1 person when it comes to games. My intense backlog of games insures that. I'd also rather get this on the Mac so I really don't mind waiting.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 PM   #6
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

I haven't played a game in many years, do you typically need a mouse to play these?
JohnDoe98 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrijos View Post
As far as I'm aware, Aspyr always does true ports.
Nermal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Exotic-Car Man
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrijos View Post
As far as I'm aware, Aspyr always does true ports.
What is a cider wrapper? I'm not familiar with that term. Also, what's the difference between a cider wrapper and a "true port"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Well I have seen people here who have experiences using the trackpad to play shooting games and they find it enjoyable. Not my own preferred input method, but it may be worth checking out. You could always grab a free demo at Steam, like Portal and give it a try. But if your using something like a track ball however, I wouldn't bother
Personally, this is my preferred gaming mouse.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 PM   #9
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Iím for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.
yes but by fall when its suppose to be release it will be a 2year old game. they should be working on MW3 for Mac
frunkis54 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunkis54 View Post
yes but by fall when its suppose to be release it will be a 2year old game. they should be working on MW3 for Mac
So what? Will it be less fun? I still play Diablo II from time to time. I really have no idea what this year counting thing has at all to do with games. If a game is good, itís good.
Over The Hill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunkis54 View Post
Age is not an issue as the game is not any worse than it was in 2010.
It's more than obvious that majority of big-name games won't make it to the Mac on the day 1 (in the nearest future), but it's nice to see that Activision at least gives a **** about something besides consoles and traditional PCs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyqq View Post
too bad mac missed call of duty modern warfare 2. It was the best so far, I think.
I guess MW2 is next up. I don't believe that World at War will make it to the Mac anytime, though.
Colpeas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:19 AM   #12
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:

Some people also own PCs for gaming because they don't want to wait a year... We all know that's an eternity in the tech world. The new one will be out soon. COD has lost its vision anyways as each one is pretty much the same.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Some people also own PCs for gaming because they don't want to wait a year... We all know that's an eternity in the tech world. The new one will be out soon. COD has lost its vision anyways as each one is pretty much the same.
You know it’s funny on so many levels i won’t even bother explaning. I only want to note that it’s just a game and some of you here are talking like it’s the center of your life.

P.S. You don’t have to wait a year, you just live your life.
Over The Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
You know itís funny on so many levels i wonít even bother explaning. I only want to note that itís just a game and some of you here are talking like itís the center of your life.

P.S. You donít have to wait a year, you just live your life.
lol anyone who is on a computer forum has less of a life. Stop trying to put yourself above everyone else
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:17 AM   #15
nameIess
macrumors newbie

Quote:

True, and I am one of those people. I play for a couple of hours for a day or two every couple of months. However since the mac is lagging behind, I end up playing the games on pc, xbox and ps3 (heck even ipad). By the time a game is released on the mac, i've already got my dosage and the game is just too old 'technologically' to be bothered with at the time of its released on the mac.

Anyway, I came across this thread because I'm on a business trip for six months with nothing but my macbook air. not even ipad. and the tv only speaks german

I'm bored to death in the evenings and looking for games to play on the mac. so far i have found nothing. yes CoD4 is available on at the ap store... but should i take a risk of buying it and then not be able to play it? heck there is not even a demo of the game! makes me thing it sucks terribly on mac!
nameIess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

What if you felt like playing it an year earlier, when it came out ya know
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:08 PM   #17
Kadman
macrumors 65816

Hey, I can remember way back when this came was relevant! Very cool!
Kadman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:55 PM   #18
dcanona
macrumors newbie

Quote:
A year late...
By the time they release it, it will be two years.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:12 PM   #19
Heresy
macrumors newbie

I'm glad to see this being released for the Mac. I played it on Steam when it first came out and really liked it. I've heard people gripe about a lack of support/updates but I never seemed to notice a problem and logged a lot of hours (more than I like to admit).

I think some people are down on it being "late" simply because of the multiplayer aspect. If you are playing single-player it is never too late. Nor is is too late for zombies or co-op, both mods are great btw! But if you buy a FPS and skip everything to just play multi-player then I think the server population might be down as so many jump to the next newest release for MP. Also, if you jump into MP you probably want a mouse as things move faster against live people.

Overall, this is a great game in the series.

Last edited by Heresy; Jun 30, 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
Heresy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 03:05 AM   #20
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcanona View Post
By the time they release it, it will be two years.
And that will change what exactly? I find the game, realize that i havenít played it yet, but the moment i see itís 2 years old i run away disgusted?

This whole gamer thing is a sad little story every time.
Over The Hill is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 06:16 AM   #21
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
And that will change what exactly? I find the game, realize that i havenít played it yet, but the moment i see itís 2 years old i run away disgusted?

Riight Nothing change with the game, it's the same game. But I don't pay full price for 1 y.o pc games.

By your wisdom, would you buy Pentium 4 PC for $1000 today? Hey it's just as fast as the day it was manufactured. It's the same CPU. Would you pay and use it today? Really?
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:21 AM   #22
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Riight Nothing change with the game, it's the same game. But I don't pay full price for 1 y.o pc games.

By your wisdom, would you buy Pentium 4 PC for $1000 today? Hey it's just as fast as the day it was manufactured. It's the same CPU. Would you pay and use it today? Really?
By my wisdom your example is apples and oranges.
Over The Hill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #23
dcanona
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Never said a two year old game isn't playable or enjoyable. Hell, I still play the original Halo, which is an 11 year old game. COD 2 is another one (7 years old).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Bensalama21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcanona View Post
Never said a two year old game isn't playable or enjoyable. Hell, I still play the original Halo, which is an 11 year old game. COD 2 is another one (7 years old).
Way to bump a 2 month old thread
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:19 PM   #25
3bs
macrumors 603

How would this run on a new 11" MacBook Air 2.0 GHz i7, 8GB RAM? The version that's on sale.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion