Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

View Poll Results: Which Magsafe do you prefer?
Magsafe 1 ('L'-shaped) 132 51.36%
Magsafe 2 ('T'-shaped) 125 48.64%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

Which Magsafe do you now prefer - The old 'L' (MagS 1) or the new 'T' (MagS 2)?

The new Magsafe 2 is dislodging a lot more than my Magsafe 1 on my 2010 Air if I use it as I mostly do, ie on my lap/sofa/cushion, so I have to make sure have nothing near that side of the MBA, which is a little intrusive.

It's nice that it's thinner but the 'L' one was more robust, in my own experience anyway.
Jobsian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Ingster
macrumors regular

I've not tried the new mag 2 connector, but i did prefer my old T magsafe on my crackbook compared with the L on my MBP
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:59 AM   #3
hempcamp
macrumors member

I went through 3 L-connectors on my last MacBook due to fraying. I don't know if that was due to the L-shape or not, but at least so far with the Magsafe 2 T shape, there seems to be less torsion on the cord when the laptop is moved around.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Highlander-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempcamp View Post
I went through 3 L-connectors on my last MacBook due to fraying. I don't know if that was due to the L-shape or not, but at least so far with the Magsafe 2 T shape, there seems to be less torsion on the cord when the laptop is moved around.
Yeah, the L-connector was a pain in the arse... I went through 2 cables as well because of the cord pulling hard backwards at an angle. T shape makes more sense in terms of comfortable angles.
Highlander- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
mikeray
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mikeray
The new MagSafe 2 is retro cool. I dig it. It is more practical, having a symmetrical design.
mikeray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
thehumorpolice
macrumors newbie

It sucks because the slightest up or down pull removes it from the laptop. It makes it hard to charge my MBA while it's in my bag. The new one, that is.

Last edited by thehumorpolice; Jun 29, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Me dumb.
thehumorpolice is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:04 AM   #7
jimboutilier
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jimboutilier
I thought the MagSafe 1 T connector was great. Clearly groundbreaking. Saved me a number of times from either potentially breaking a cord or connector or sending my laptop to the ground. Not that I ever had a serious incident before MagSafe though so its only a "potential". I never had one of these fray but I know many who did. I did have the annoyance of periodic accidental disconnects.

I thought the MagSafe 1 L connector was a big improvement in style, loved the way it reduced bulk on the side of the machine, seemed to address the fraying and suffered far fewer accidental disconnects. But it was clear that it might not work so well if the cord was tugged in line to the side of the machine and it could result in a spill to the floor or damaged cord which kind of defeated it's purpose.

The new MagSafe 2 T releases easier the the previous two, seems better reinforced than the original and seems from a pure effectiveness perspective is the best yet. But it's not as elegant as the L and suffers more accidental disconnects. It's incompatibility is also a pain. I get that it's slimmer and might allow for slimmer notebooks in the future but I do not get the impression Apple took any advantage of this yet and that now I have a bunch of obsolete and expensive power supplies I have to buy expensive and inelegant dongles for. So I'm not a fan of MagSafe 2 yet.
jimboutilier is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

The frequency of disconnects on the new panel is becoming increasingly intrusive. Strongly prefer the old 'L' Magsafe 1 now.
Jobsian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

I thought the whole point of magsafe is to prevent your laptop from falling down if someone accidentally trips on the cord. It seems with the reports of the magsafe 2 that easily breaking off would accomplish that goal, as a stronger fit would still result in the laptop falling (since the magnet may not disconnected as easily and with enough force would force the laptop down).
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:15 AM   #10
dyn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumorpolice View Post
It sucks because the slightest up or down pull removes it from the laptop. It makes it hard to charge my MBA while it's in my bag. The new one, that is.
That is a very dumb way of charging your notebook. Both the charger and the battery/notebook will get hot. Put it in a tight space and it will get hotter. This not only is bad for the hardware like the battery but it is also a very big fire hazard. Never ever charge a notebook the way you are doing it!

I like the Magsafe2 because it actually dislodges saving the notebook while the L-one never did. The old T-shape has a better grip than the L-one because of its size. The Magsafe2 improves the old T-one in this area because it is a bit wider and thinner. Makes manually connecting and disconnecting the power connecter much easier. I don't have to yank the cable like I had to with the old L-one. All of the Magsafe connectors will charge the notebook without any problems though.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:49 AM   #11
mikkker007
macrumors member

Smile

Umm.. would you prefer... the "Crap" that Every other PC vendor peddle's?
hook it up and enjoy.....
mikkker007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
kylera
macrumors 6502a

This is the first time I am experiencing MagSafe. Compared to the more conventional plug from my PowerBook, it disconnects way too easily for my taste. Fortunately enough, I use my Air on the go and stick the charger when I get home, and as such, the Air is left alone at home.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

I've used both, and I much prefer MagSafe 2. The cord near the connector doesn't bend as much, so there's less possibility of fraying or internal wiring problems. Sometimes it disconnects a little bit too easily, but I'd rather it be too easily than too difficult when the day comes that one of my friends trip on the cord.
Jamesesesesess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:19 PM   #14
mpopkin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesesesesess View Post
I've used both, and I much prefer MagSafe 2. The cord near the connector doesn't bend as much, so there's less possibility of fraying or internal wiring problems. Sometimes it disconnects a little bit too easily, but I'd rather it be too easily than too difficult when the day comes that one of my friends trip on the cord.
I have used all three versions, the original Magsafe(T), the newer(L) and with my rMBP the 2, and the two absolutely SUCKS. It falls off if you move the machine an inch, it falls off if you look at it the wrong way(joke),

I love Magsafe and the concept around it, but if i had to review the Magsafe 2 I would say that it is a make or break for buying a mac, if I did not love the retina display I would return it, because it is ineffective and disconnects too easily,
iPad 3G 64GB
mpopkin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Zeke D
macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I use my MacBook while lounging in my easy chair. The "L" style is good I it is leaning against my leg or the arm of the chair, whereas the new connector sticks out too far. I am afraid I woul damage the connector.
Zeke D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:42 PM   #16
ixodes
macrumors 601

The T shape is fine. But the L shape has two advantages I prefer. The direction of the wire, and the more secure the L shape seems to be. It's never dislodged by itself, whereas the T does quite regularly.

Upon inspection the genius at Apple relaced my first T MagSafe. He thought it was too loose. The new one clicks into place better. Just like the L, yet no matter how carefully I route the cord, the T dislodges.

Otherwise they're just fine.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Rokeneer
macrumors regular

The "T" shaped magsafe is nothing new. It made its debut in 2006 with the original MBP. I have had the pleasure of owning 2 "T" shape, and 2 "L" shape Magsafe adapters. I by far prefer the "T", because it is easier to use and doesn't tend to fall off like the "L" shape does. I think it holds because it is slightly larger, allowing for a bigger and stronger magnet.
Rokeneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:40 PM   #18
David085
Banned

The New T Magsafe 2.
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:01 AM   #19
Shadow2k
macrumors member

I prefer the old T-Connector, never had any problems with it. My charger from 2008 is still in mint condition.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:14 PM   #20
tredstone
macrumors regular

I don't really like the new connector. I can't think of a scenario where it works better than the L-shape mag. I used to be able to hover the L mag by the port and it would instantly and easily snap in. This one requires a more deliberate approach. It breaks off more easily, which happens a lot if you try to charge it in a bag and then attempt to lean the bag against a wall.
tredstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:10 AM   #21
tvamvarg
macrumors newbie

Interesting how the poll gives about equal ranks between the two. But 90% of all posts in this thread argues (mostly well) against Magsafe 2.

I never used the L connector, but I strongly prefer the Magsafe 1 on my MB Unibody to the 2 on my MBA - as others note here it requires more deliberate work to connect, and it dislodges too easily on vertical (laptop lying down) forces. However, I have considered that the lightness of the MBA might defeat the purpose of the magnets (i.e. snapping off instead of pulling the computer to the floor) if Magsafe 1 was used as it was.

I'm not really buying that it had to be made thinner for design purposes either. Sounds too much a change for change's sake to me. And with lower usability and lack of compatibility as a result.
tvamvarg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #22
knarzie
macrumors regular

the original one (T shaped?) on my late 2008 unibody lasted almost 3 years. I got it replaced 2 weeks before my AppleCare ran out. They gave me an L-shaped one a year ago which is already taped up, as the rubber coating has split and I can already see the wires. Only a matter of months before I'll have to buy a new one.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Jaypi
macrumors regular

I have a T shaped adapter and it sucks It always flips off .. The L adapter is so much better for sitting on the coach etc.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:33 PM   #24
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

I hate the L. The T is way better
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
calvol
macrumors 6502a

I like the L, looks a lot more elegant with the wire coming off the machine at 180deg, rather tjan sticking out like a mouse ear. Apple should make the L avail in the 2-version connector.
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air