Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Breakfasts everywhere went undocumented on social media Saturday morning because photo-sharing site Instagram is still down after a line of powerful storms caused mass power outages across the Midwest and Atlantic Seaboard on Friday night.

Fierce thunderstorms and high winds, some topping 80 miles per hour, whipped across Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Washington and Virginia, leaving debris, hot temperatures and no power to combat the record-breaking heat.

In addition to Instagram, Mashable and Forbes reported that on Friday night Netflix and Pinterest, powered by Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, also were down because of weather affecting the region. The majority of those accounts, and the sites themselves, appear to be up and running again.

However, on Saturday morning, people were still taking to Twitter and Facebook, complaining or poking fun at the impact of Instagram, based in northern Virginia, going dark.

Some tweets encouraged people to enjoy the blackout by leaving technology behind for the weekend, that it's OK to eat breakfast and drink coffee without sharing a photo of it with the rest of the world via social media. Other tweets joked that many people would go undocumented on Facebook or Twitter as long as Instagram was down because of the site's various photo-enhancing filters.

A similar conversation ensued when Twitter experienced a widespread outage on June 21, its largest since October 2011.
link

I'm starting to show withdraw symptoms. *shakes*

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
when things like this happen and all people do is complain about a free thing like Instagram i just laugh. Netflix i could understand being bothered by since its a paid service but the free stuff people need to learn to calm down about and realize its really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
when things like this happen and all people do is complain about a free thing like Instagram i just laugh. Netflix i could understand being bothered by since its a paid service but the free stuff people need to learn to calm down about and realize its really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

You should've seen Twitter last night. "My Instagram is down" was trending. It's kind of surprising to see such a strong reaction to something as small as Instagram. I guess it's just a #firstworldproblem. ;)

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I was beginning to wonder where all these pictures were coming from that looked like they were actually taken in 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.