Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

The 2012-2013 Football Thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	28TH_SPAIN_EURO_1127479f.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	346430

Little wonder all those Spaniards are looking so excited– with the European Championships over we can start to look forward to the 2012-13 season, which means that it's time for a new Football Thread!

Arriba!

Name:	tumblr_m6i3wn0zgJ1qhfgjbo2_500.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	346431

Aw! Just look at Fernando's little face – he can't wait to start posting, bless him.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 02:58 PM   #2
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Hooray for the new year!

EDIT: OF FOOTBALL!!
NutsNGum is offline   0
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Hello new thread, goodbye Pogba. Do I need one of those Retina thingamajigs for this version?

Cheers,
OW
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillatewildly View Post
Do I need one of those Retina thingamajigs for this version?
If you haven't, don't worry – we've got some special glasses that replicate the effect.

Name:	gray.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	346441
Old Jul 3, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
also other transfer news from germany:

Bayern seem to have dropped Nerlinger from his sports director position and managed to sign Matthias Sammer, now former sports director from the DFB (he happened to be the main architect of the now excellent german youth program & guidelines)

i suspect we will se plenty of clashes between the figureheads this season ...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Well, that was a big year in football. Not such a great year for either Columbus or Liverpool.

I hope the Crew make the playoffs this season and actually do something. I also hope Brendan Rogers will cut the mustard at Liverpool. And finally, I hope that USA's World Cup qualifying campaign continues smooth and successful.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
If you haven't, don't worry – we've got some special glasses that replicate the effect.

Attachment 346441
And here's what those guys see (before & after) wearing those glasses
Fizzoid is offline   4
Old Jul 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Fuzzy14
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzoid View Post
Slightly better than the beer goggles I normally wear!

Rather than D-day in Scotland (which the press would like you to believe so you buy their paper), today is just another incremental step along the path of implosion by Scottish football teams. This time next year New Rangers (as tasteful as New Coke and New Kids on the Block) will have been promoted to the 2nd and half the teams in the SPL and 1st will be in administration.

And you closed the previous thread before I could say well done to Spain!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
i need some of those glasses...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Glasses like those would make me a very happybunny

Football starts here for the Second division called the Jupiler League on the 5th August.
The Top division called the Eredivisie starts on the 10th August.

There is an International game against Belgium on the 15th Aug, and we still do not have a coach.
Games against Belgium are like England Vs Scotland to you.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Has anyone got a goalkeeper going spare? One with Premier League experience would be ideal. Asking for a friend.
Jaffa Cake is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Aquilani £20m, Downing £20m, Carroll £35m, Henderson £16m, Cole on £6m per year (never such a thing as a free lunch)...there has been some serious value distraction there at Anfield past couple of years...
Confuzzzed is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
It makes sense; Arsenal feel they are too big of a club to take crumbs from Real Madrid. Liverpool have no choice but to do everything they can to improve the squad, and a loan deal is better than nothing.
Ey? Arsenal bigger than Liverpool? When did they last win a trophy? How many European cups have they won? League championships? Obviously Liverpool's negotiating is dire so probably why RM prefer to loan to us as they cut a better deal, but ultimately Sahin is not the sort of player AFC are desperate for. They need a Mascherano type player. Or Lucas Leiva. Would have taken Sahin to compete with Arshavin for second striker sub role but at LFC given size of the squad, will take Downing's place and probably play most games. Which is why the deal got done in LFC's favour. On this rare occasion! (Although I am fullynexpecting him ti watch him to be another Aquilani, such is our success rate in the transfer market)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
daneoni
macrumors G4

The whole thing is confusing. BBC are now reporting that LFC have an option-to-buy clause at the end of the season for £14m. So why did Wenger bail on the deal?

Maybe Mourinho played hardball because he wanted Rodgers to have him instead of Wenger...or as his lordship says Rodgers begged more and used his old connection to the manager. Meh....whatever.

Quote:
It makes sense; Arsenal feel they are too big of a club to take crumbs from Real Madrid. Liverpool have no choice but to do everything they can to improve the squad, and a loan deal is better than nothing.
Well according to Wise Sage Robbie Savage Arsenal are no longer a big club. So we better stop that pretentious nonsense.

Last edited by daneoni; Aug 23, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
daneoni is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
Ey? Arsenal bigger than Liverpool? When did they last win a trophy? How many European cups have they won? League championships?
I'm not judging either club - I merely opined that Arsenal might feel they are above taking players on loan without options to buy. Then again, many Arsenal fans are already complaining that they've become a feeder club to the Spanish Giants (and Man Utd).

As for Liverpool, at this point I don't care what they won in the 80s. That's great. But right now we are a 9th-placed club until proven otherwise. Tradition is great, and the trophy cabinet is bulging - but dusty. Rogers needs to think big if we are to go anywhere, but I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch.

Arsenal desperately need a player more like...well, Alex Song, actually. Some have said Sahin is basically the same type of player to Song. Haven't seen enough of him myself to say.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:15 PM   #16
daneoni
macrumors G4

Sahin is more creative/attack minded than defensive. Though he can do the latter, he's not the enforcer/Makelele type.

Song is gone so we have to move on. Would like Tiote in our squad but i know Pardew would try to rape us if we moved for him. So Capoue, Biglia or M'Villa it is. Hopefully.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:13 AM   #17
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm not judging either club - I merely opined that Arsenal might feel they are above taking players on loan without options to buy. Then again, many Arsenal fans are already complaining that they've become a feeder club to the Spanish Giants (and Man Utd).
Mainly Man City to be fair

Quote:

As for Liverpool, at this point I don't care what they won in the 80s. That's great. But right now we are a 9th-placed club until proven otherwise.
Clearly you have the right to your opinion but we did win a domestic trophy last season, won the champions league within the past 10 years and reached multiple European finals in the same time frame. Not many teams have done better.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:30 AM   #18
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
at Dortmund Sahin typically played a deep lying playmaker with lots of through/long passes in a 4-2-3-1 together with more defensive central midfielder

at Real he simply has no chance for first team football with Xabi Alonso and Khedira being key players, and Mourihno liking a strong defensive central midfield

if you want a player to compete with arshavin then obviously perhaps competing for Reus would have been an option ... in bthe end he sold for 17 mio euro ... that's less money than players like Henderson, Fletcher or Allen
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #19
daneoni
macrumors G4

Chelsea sign Cesar Azpilicueta for £7m. This acquisition also means they're now past the £70m mark in this transfer window.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #20
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Clearly you have the right to your opinion but we did win a domestic trophy last season, won the champions league within the past 10 years and reached multiple European finals in the same time frame. Not many teams have done better.
I would gladly swap the Carling Cup for a 4th place finish in the league (for that matter, I'd gladly swap both domestic cups for a 4th place finish. The economic argument for Champions League football is irrefutable). I'm not trying to downplay recent successes, but we have not been very good over the last several years. Winning the Carling Cup and finishing 9th is not good enough given the money that's been spent. It could have been worse of course, and winning a cup is a good thing in itself. But the last thing I want us to be doing right now is resting on our laurels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao
at Dortmund Sahin typically played a deep lying playmaker with lots of through/long passes in a 4-2-3-1 together with more defensive central midfielder

at Real he simply has no chance for first team football with Xabi Alonso and Khedira being key players, and Mourihno liking a strong defensive central midfield
Oh no! You mentioned Sahin in the same sentence with Xabi Alonso! Now you'll get Liverpool fans all excited...

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Lord Blackadder is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:15 PM   #21
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I would gladly swap the Carling Cup for a 4th place finish in the league (for that matter, I'd gladly swap both domestic cups for a 4th place finish.
4th place didn't qualify for CL last season
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:33 PM   #22
daneoni
macrumors G4

Chelsea sign Moses for £9m...have now passed the £80m mark in this window.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:14 PM   #23
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
4th place didn't qualify for CL last season
True, but it almost always will. I'd take a 4th placed league finish (even without CL qualification) over Europa League qualification every time.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to win the Carling Cup. But it is by no means a great achievement for a club with funds like Liverpool's.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:06 AM   #24
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Sunderland vs Reading is POSTPONED

A waterlogged pitch in August? Really?
They can spend £12m on Steven Fletcher but can't even get a decent drainage system...
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:13 AM   #25
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Sunderland vs Reading is POSTPONED
Poor news for the travelling Reading fans who would have been all but in the North-East when the decision was made.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion