Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, Wired covered the emergence of a cottage industry of businesses selling access to iOS developer betas prior to their official launch. Apple offers these developer betas to registered iOS developers. The fee for such a registration is $99/year. Some enterprising individuals have turned around and started selling their 100 possible device slots to users looking to install the iOS betas prior to their official launch.
Behind the scenes, each service uses the same simple backdoor: Registered iOS developers can activate up to 100 unique device IDs (or UDIDs) for their account, an essential tool for testing apps on multiple devices. Once registered with Apple, the activated device is also able to run pre-release versions of iOS, though developers are forbidden from sharing pre-release software outside their own team.

Ignoring these warnings, activation services charge a small fee to add a customer's device to their developer accounts. When they hit the 100-device limit, they just register a new account with Apple.
This has been going on for a couple of years with no particular intervention from Apple. As Wired notes, it seems Apple just didn't seem to care, despite their wide availability.

ios6.jpg

That may have changed since the publication of the Wired article. MacStories has noted that many of the services listed in the original Wired article are no longer available. After reaching out to the sites, it seems that Apple has started taking action against these services.
While most of our emails bounced, we heard back from one of the site owners (who asked to remain anonymous), who confirmed his hosting provider took down the site after a complaint for copyright infringement by Apple. Similarly, the CEO of Fused tweeted in a reply to Andy Baio that Apple had been "fairly heavy-handed" with DMCA requests to UDID-selling sites hosted on their network.
MacStories exchanged emails with the owner of one of the services which made $75,000 since the release of the iOS 6 Beta in June.

Article Link: Apple Cracking Down on Sites Selling Access to iOS 6 Developer Betas

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
But i thought this was the most underwhelming upgrade and nobody liked it? :rolleyes:

It's about time they did this, too many people who don't have any idea what they're doing are getting their hands on Dev. Previews.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I wonder how much they charged to be added to their 100 device limit. Certainly not more than $100...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I wonder how much they charged to be added to their 100 device limit. Certainly not more than $100...

Less than $10 per device is what Wired article said.

One site is selling it for $8.99 right now.

So figure $8.99 * 100 = $899 - $99 = $800 profit per apple dev registration.

arn

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
Why do we even need 100 slots? I'm using a total of 2. Large development companies might need about 20-50 tops for testing apps on the new OS.

jdkelly40

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Really!?

Well what does Apple expect, they promise a Fall launch date... and it's Summer. Get with the program Apple!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I too always wondered why they don't just cut back on how many slots they hand out. Or maybe offer different tiers. An independent developer only needs a few.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
People would have gotten the developer accounts if the price isn't such a ripoff.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
This is good news! Less people complaining about how their device doesn't work properly when they are using beta software.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This is good news! Less people complaining about how their device doesn't work properly when they are using beta software.

All you need do is read the iOS6 section, and its obvious people are using beta as their casual daily driver, not as a development tool

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
The last two ios6 betas have not even checked udid, perhaps thats why they are going after them since you dont have to pay to activate your udid

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I'm not a software pirate, but I checked out iMZDL. Sure enough, they got wiped out by Apple's DMCA complaints....

Last edited by a moderator:

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Well what does Apple expect, they promise a Fall launch date... and it's Summer. Get with the program Apple!

Get with the program and do what?

----------

People would have gotten the developer accounts if the price isn't such a ripoff.

In all seriousness, what is a ripoff? A $99 fee to develop products in a ready made market? Or is it something else?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

^This.

----------

In all seriousness, what is a ripoff? A $99 fee to develop products in a ready made market? Or is it something else?

Plus a commission for everything you sell. You shouldn't have to pay to get iOS 6 beta since it doesn't even make you any money.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
You shouldn't have to pay to get iOS 6 beta since it doesn't even make you any money.

Having your app polished and ready to go the second iOS 6 is publicly available just might make you some money if you have a worthy app to sell.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I don't agree with people raking in the money from this, but without sharing I wouldn't be running iOS 6 right now. It's not hurting Apple because I'm not making money from it and I'll get the full release in the fall.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
This is crazy! Apple should be really worried about people running iOS 6 without UDID Registration. My friend who doesn't sell slots gave a few to his friends for free. Apple banned his account accusing him of selling. Apple is just banning people left and right... it seems like to me they cannot tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.