Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
I have a 160gb iPod Classic(early 2010) which I like and use mainly for music . I probably have about 120 gb filled with music.

I recently got an iPhone 4s with 16gb memory. I mainly use my iPod during my train commutes and am wondering if I should sell the classic and use the iPhone for music.

I also have iCloud with iTunes match so in theory I have access to my entire collection on the iPhone .

Has anyone else made their iPhone the primary mobile music device using iCloud to compensate for lack of storage and if so what's the experience been like?

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Hi there I ran into the space problem when I filled up my 16gb nano 4th gen, my iPhone is only 8gb but about a year ago I went and brought a new classic I know there nothing new but for listing to lots of music there the best I even watch video on mine which is ok if im on a train or something. All the little extras classic also work well like contacts and calander. So I would keep the classic for music and use the iPhone (like I do) just for apps which do start to take up a fair bit of space. Fair point with itunes match but what if you have got no data connection (wifi or 3g) but streaming is coming in ios 6 so that's up to you really if you can just live with that. Hope this helps :)

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Hi there I ran into the space problem when I filled up my 16gb nano 4th gen, my iPhone is only 8gb but about a year ago I went and brought a new classic I know there nothing new but for listing to lots of music there the best I even watch video on mine which is ok if im on a train or something. All the little extras classic also work well like contacts and calander. So I would keep the classic for music and use the iPhone (like I do) just for apps which do start to take up a fair bit of space. Fair point with itunes match but what if you have got no data connection (wifi or 3g) but streaming is coming in ios 6 so that's up to you really if you can just live with that. Hope this helps :)

This is where it's at. I seriously like having my entire music collection (103GB) plus some audiobooks and many many different podcasts with me.

I have two iPhones, a 32GB 3GS and a 64GB 4S. There was always something that I didn't have on the phone that i ended up wanting to listen to and that problem went away when I got my 160GB Classic.

I drive 7-8 hours a day for my job so having a wide variety of things to listen to every day is of huge importance to me. iTunes Match is worthless to me just because I used nearly 6GB in two days with iTunes Match back in October.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Personally, I love having my ENTIRE music collection in the palm of my hand. Until the day arrives when I can consistently stream my music collection, regardless of geographical location and data limits, I will continue to buy and use the iPod Classic.

I hope Apple keeps the classic around and continues to upgrade the capacity. The current 160 GB version is quite old. Given the time frame I guess I had hoped to see at least 256 GB, if not a 320 GB version by now.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I've had my 80GB classic for years and I agree with everyone on this board. It's still my go-to device for my music library. 3G data plans and Wi-Fi restrict the whole streaming idea way too much for my tastes. I got hooked on Pandora last year, until I maxed out my data plan in 9 days worth of commute listening.

Apple needs to keep making dedicated music players. There is an immense, and highly satisfied, user base out there who just wants to listen to their music, any of their music, and not worry so much about playing Angry Birds at the moment.

I think a radical improvement would be the adoption of SSD tech inside the iPod. The loss of the spinning HDD would improve reliability and longevity, as well as improve battery life. Even a bank of MicroSD cards would be awesome. 3 x 64GB would give you 192GB. The only drawback of SD cards is speed, but seriously, right now the worst read/write speed to an SD card is about 4MB/sec. Terrible for PC use, but for an iPod, taking 1 second to load a file that takes 4 minutes to play = good enough.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I just got an email inviting me to take a survey for my recently purchased Classic. Hopefully they are still interested in using the results for a future Classic. I indicated I was not interested in other iPod models.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I also have iCloud with iTunes match so in theory I have access to my entire collection on the iPhone .

iTunes Match is about 0.12 GB per hour. So check what you pay for data first.

I use a 16 GB Nano in the car, with a playlist that plays from start to end through the weeks - I really don't want to change songs while driving. So for me it's fine. I'd probably stay with the classic.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
iTunes Match is about 0.12 GB per hour. So check what you pay for data first.

I use a 16 GB Nano in the car, with a playlist that plays from start to end through the weeks - I really don't want to change songs while driving. So for me it's fine. I'd probably stay with the classic.

I used just under 6GB in about 6 hours the weekend before AT&T started tethering. These were all 256Kbps songs. I downloaded about 800 songs or so. Song totals were about 600-700 or so.

This was all just to see how much I use without getting throttled.

I downloaded the complete Led Zeppelin twice each of those two nights, about 160 songs (about 1GB) and about 10 other albums. It doesn't take much to use a lot of data.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I just got an email inviting me to take a survey for my recently purchased Classic. Hopefully they are still interested in using the results for a future Classic. I indicated I was not interested in other iPod models.

I took the same survey. Give me 320GB so I can have mine at 256kpbs AAC glory, instead of 128k I have to use now to make everything (all music) fit. Also, a higher resolution screen.

hawkeyefxr

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
ipod vs iphone

I have gone the reverse route. I have a Galaxy S II ( not had an iphone in years). With the iphones limited storage space there is not enough space.
A 120 gig storage will take most of,my music plus you don't have to hold the touch screen out of the sun.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The classic is the one I go to the most and the shuffle second.

I use the shuffle with 4+ star playlists on days I don't care what music I listen to and the classic for when I do.

I also have a 64gb touch and using it as a music player isn't much of an option for the simple fact you have to pull it out of the pocket and look at it every time, which is a nuisance.

Granted its not so bad if you have a inline controller to change songs without having to pull it out, problem there is there isn't a lot of good 3rd party head phones that have the controller.

Then there is the issue of capacity, you can sync everything (or at least close to) so you don't have to worry about not having a song with you when it pops into your head whereas with the others you do.

The iCloud "streaming" is a terrible idea of you're on anything other than sprint because you'll run into overages most likely, have problems with connection at times and won't be nearly as reliable as local storage.

That is my opinion on the subject.

pgewirtz

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Classic all the way

I just want to put in my 2 cents to say that I agree with all the positive feedback on the Classic. It's the only one that can hold my music collection. I reserve my iPhone for apps and phone calls. Music would max out its capacity and run down the battery. Using Match runs into issues with connectivity and data limits. Using a touchscreen in any situation where you can't look at it is inconvenient at best, potentially dangerous.

For music lovers, the iPod is the near perfect solution. My only wish is to either make the classic faster and lighter by switching to SSD drives (while keeping the click wheel) or drastically increase the capacity of the Nano (at least 64GB, preferably 128). I think the hold up with iPod innovation is that they are pushing consumers towards the Touch line, but time will tell.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I would say with a collection that large stay with the classic. But if you do want to use the phone more here is something to think about. First your battery will be drained faster. Second if you lose single you lose your music collection. Third if you don't have unlimited data you may wind up eating through it fast. Fourth if iCloud ever goes down you won't have any must. Fifth you will end up paying more to store all that music every month. Right now iCloud only gives you 5gb for free. And that goes for iTunes Match you have to pay for that too. Sixth and lastly with a collection that big iTunes Match has been know to screw up the taged info on your songs and switch albums with prenatal advisers with edited versions. Just something to think about. If non of that bugs you or you don't care I say go for it.

Last edited:

botwa

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
My phone isn't iPhone but I do have music there.
And I will NEVER ditch my iPod Classic for anything.
First of all I'm a person who stands for separation of devices, I hate all-in-one "phones".
The second thing is that iPod Classic is the best one for music. You can load it with tons of high-quality music and listen, listen, listen.
iPhone with 16 gb allows to download about 20-25 albums with great quality and you need to have enough space for applications and all those things.
Of course if you don't care about the quality a lot then you can use it as player too. Or if you're OK with few albums available.

Catsman

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
On the Coast Australia
Old classic

Having just returned from Europe using local sims, I can assure you iCloud/match is a pia. Burnt data allowance quickly and refilling in a foreign language is very difficult. My old classic was great.

Tempted to buy a new Classic but hoping for an update soon.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
i tried turning on itunes match in the gym since i didn't have some music i wanted to run to. in ONE DAY i went over my allowance, just happened to be the first day of my billing cycle too. ugh, never again.

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
I'm glad you started this thread. I was going to chime in and say "why would you want to carry two devices" but after reading the other posts, I'm converted. I also have a very large music library and have just gotten in the habit of building and switching playlists around so I could have some s,all a,ount of music with me. Maybe a large capacity classic is the way to go and just keep it in the truck all the time!

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I'll be honest... after getting Plex on my media server, i use my iPhone a lot more than my iPod. Since I can stream my own cloud anywhere, I just don't see much of a use for my old iPod.. :(

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm considering buying a new iPod classic and just sticking it in the closet in case they stop making it. I would not be surprised if they dropped it in September/October. As a matter of fact, I was shocked when they didn't last year. Not that I want them to.

dontcallmyname

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I had an iphone and an ipod touch and neither held my entire music collection. Also had oldschool ipod video but the screen doesn't work, so I haven't updated the music in years. I used my iphone more and more because it was useful having it there. I must say, if I had an ipod that held all my music it would be a different issue. Keep the ipod. You'll regret it if you don't.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I now use both an original and third-gen iPod for most things that I do. They're music players, so all that I really do is play music on them. I'd say it would probably be better to keep the Classic instead of having pay-as-you-go music from iCloud with a data plan from the iPhone. And with the apps, you probably couldn't physically store much on that iPhone.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Granted its not so bad if you have a inline controller to change songs without having to pull it out, problem there is there isn't a lot of good 3rd party head phones that have the controller.

I have/have had over the past year, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Bose and Dre Beats, all with inline remotes and full iOS compatibility. And those are just the in-ears.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I just want to put in my 2 cents to say that I agree with all the positive feedback on the Classic. It's the only one that can hold my music collection. I reserve my iPhone for apps and phone calls. Music would max out its capacity and run down the battery. Using Match runs into issues with connectivity and data limits. Using a touchscreen in any situation where you can't look at it is inconvenient at best, potentially dangerous.

For music lovers, the iPod is the near perfect solution. My only wish is to either make the classic faster and lighter by switching to SSD drives (while keeping the click wheel) or drastically increase the capacity of the Nano (at least 64GB, preferably 128). I think the hold up with iPod innovation is that they are pushing consumers towards the Touch line, but time will tell.

Switching to an ssd would increase the price dramatically. Apple would also want to maintain there huge margins so it would cost a ton as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.