Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Hello All,

I'm in the process of collecting final PowerPC versions of free programs and creating an Apache file-server so I can provide them to the community if/when official links and other mirrors go down. Is anyone interested in providing me with links to software to back up on the server? If so, I'll be glad to back them up and share them accordingly.

Also, I'm organizing all programs into folders as such:

Processor---->OS Version Requirement---->Program

For example, let's say a program requires a G4/G5 processor and only runs on Leopard. I'll organize the folders as such:

G4/G5---->Leopard---->"Example Program"

If you're interested in providing some links, feel free to contribute.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmac0973

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
You're a god for doing this. Try and nab the last version of Spotify for PPC before it's gone. [URL="http://download.cnet.com/3001-2141_4-10912448.html?spi=c7cd0d1fb856b6fc4802f3f522d368cc"]Download The Last Verison of Spotify for PPC Macintoshes - via CNET's Download.com[/URL]

I don't have the requirements for the app, but I'm sure it's G4/G5 only, and I'm assuming Leopard only. I'll try it out when my new PowerBook G4 arrives, because it's arriving with Tiger (10.4.11).

Just added it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You're welcome for the awesome idea. :p

I'll see what I can grab out of my machines. You want commercial software? (Not with serials though of course) I know of some apps that are backwards compatible as long as you have the serials, even if you bought it after that version.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
You're welcome for the awesome idea. :p

I'll see what I can grab out of my machines. You want commercial software? (Not with serials though of course) I know of some apps that are backwards compatible as long as you have the serials, even if you bought it after that version.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of it before lol. So long as I'm not providing anything illicit, I don't mind hosting it. I'm guessing that if the software doesn't include any serial number, it should be good to go.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Mplayer G4 optimised

Mplayer is a crucial piece of software for any PowerPC machine, it was cited by zen.state a few months ago in a forum (here and I figure it'd be a worthy addition.

It's optimised for G4/G5's on either Tiger or Leopard.

EDIT: Here's the download link :) Mplayer

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Mplayer is a crucial piece of software for any PowerPC machine, it was cited by zen.state a few months ago in a forum (here and I figure it'd be a worthy addition.

It's optimised for G4/G5's on either Tiger or Leopard.

EDIT: Here's the download link :) Mplayer

I had the standard version of MPlayer already, but I replaced my "G4/G5" folder's version with the optimized version. Thanks for contributing.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
While not the standard PPC software, do you want 10GB worth of Pippin software? And if you happen to have any requests that you can't locate, post it in the thread and I'll see what I can do.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
This little utility does all the heavy lifting should a person need or want to change a user 'shortname'
This discontinued version is for Tiger and is from my private collection as I could not locate a working link on the net.

Attachments

• ChangeShortName-1.3.dmg.zip
    374.5 KB · Views: 158

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Suggestions and Ideas

While I don't have most of the links handy atm, having syncing issues for some reason. I would grab iTunes 9, PPC versions for Safari, Opera, FireFox, Camino (the best imho). Also Skype,DropCopy,SimplyBurns, Bean, LibreOffice,HandBrake and VLC to name a few.

I don't think you can technically get Pages,Numbers and Keynote though the are essential tools to me on a daily basis. I keep Libre around to monkey with but would not really cry if it was gone. Oh! MacTubes for PPC! It is a MUST! That's about all I can think of. Let me know if you need any links. I can surly get them to you.

And like everyone else has said: "You sir kick some serious PPC-geekitude! Frak on man.. Frak on:D

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
While not the standard PPC software, do you want 10GB worth of Pippin software? And if you happen to have any requests that you can't locate, post it in the thread and I'll see what I can do.

I might be able to host it. I nearly have a server up and running, it might be slightly slow since I have a dynamic DNS though. I'm not using the server for much so it could probably handle plenty. Oh, there's some music composition programs that are getting hard to find for Mac OS 9, I could post a few, Overture is one that's nearly impossible to find except on sites that don't seem exactly safe. I heard that there were some good open-source ones, but it's nearly impossible to find any.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I might be able to host it. I nearly have a server up and running, it might be slightly slow since I have a dynamic DNS though. I'm not using the server for much so it could probably handle plenty. Oh, there's some music composition programs that are getting hard to find for Mac OS 9, I could post a few, Overture is one that's nearly impossible to find except on sites that don't seem exactly safe.

No rush on the Pippin stuff. It isn't taking up too much space at the moment and it's perfectly happy sitting on my G3's hard drive. I have some older versions of Finale Notepad somewhere as well. I think it's the 2004 version.

Taylor, just be vigilant in removing software when the creators of the software request it's removal. Don't delete the software, just remove it from the web page (keep it on the server ;)).

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Here's stuff that I can confirm working with 10.5 Leopard. All of these work in their latest release version with 10.4 Tiger except Mac DVD Ripper Pro and Cyberduck.

Still maintained (could just host latest version):
-TenFourFox = Browser
-Mac DVD Ripper Pro = DVD Ripping Software
-SheepShaver = Classic Mac OS Emulator
-Cyberduck = for SSH, FTP, SFTP, WebDAV (and many more)
-iTunes = Media Player/iOS Device manager
-VLC = Media Player
-MacTubes = YouTube Viewer
-Bean = Word Processor

Out of production/no longer updated (as far as I know):
-Geekbench Release 2.2.7 = Benchmarking Software
-HandBrake = DVD Ripping/Media Conversion
-X Lossless Decoder (XLD) = Audio Ripping Software
-Max = Audio Ripping Software
-MetaX = Video Info/Tagging Software
-Prey for Mac = Game Demo
-Genesis Plus = Sega Genesis Emulator
-Generator = Sega Genesis Emulator
-SMS Plus = Sega Game Gear/Sega Master System Emulator
-sixtyforce = N64 Emulator
-Mupen64 = N64 Emulator
-Nestopia = NES Emulator
-PCSX = PlayStation Emulator

All software listed is free, or has a free test drive available. There may be more but that's just what I can remember, while away from my machine. Haha.

Most of the stuff mentioned above can be downloaded from MacUpdate.com.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
You're a god for doing this. Try and nab the last version of Spotify for PPC before it's gone. [URL="http://download.cnet.com/3001-2141_4-10912448.html?spi=c7cd0d1fb856b6fc4802f3f522d368cc"]Download The Last Verison of Spotify for PPC Macintoshes - via CNET's Download.com[/URL]

I don't have the requirements for the app, but I'm sure it's G4/G5 only, and I'm assuming Leopard only. I'll try it out when my new PowerBook G4 arrives, because it's arriving with Tiger (10.4.11).
I just downloaded the link you supplied and it is intel only.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Office Suites

AppleWorks 6 - OS 8 -OS X 10.5
LibreOffice 3.5 - OS X 10.4+
OpenOffice (Multiple Versions) - OS X 10.2+

Browsers

Camino 2.1 - OS X 10.4+
TenFourFox - 10.4.11+
Classilla - OS 8.6 - OS X 10.3.9
Stainless - OS X 10.5
Firefox 3 - OS X 10.5

Messaging

AIM - OS X 10.5+
Twhirl - OS X 10.5+ (I think)
Adobe Air (Older version for use with Twhirl)

Torrent Clients

Transmission (Multiple Versions) - OS 8 - OS X 10.5
Vuze - OS X 10.5
Azureus - OS X 10.3 - OS X 10.5
uTorrent - OS X 10.5

Other

Handbrake (Multiple versions) - OS X 10.0+
Flash Player 'Fix' - Not Too Sure On OS (10.4+?)
Cyberduck (SSH Browser) - OS X 10.2+
Google Earth - OS X 10.3+
Stuffit Expander (Multiple Versions) - OS X 10.1+
iSwiff - OS X 10.5

Games (Cant Give Download Links On Some - It's Naughty)

World Of Goo
Battlefield 1942
Minecraft
Tennis Elbow 2011
Worms 3d

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
By PowerPC is this going to be restricted to OS X or are you going to dip into older Classic Pre-G3 era software?

I'm accepting anything from MacOS 7 forward.

----------

Also, everyone, keep in mind that I'm not going to be able to backup programs that aren't free. I realize some of that stuff is hard to find, but unless I have written authorization from the owners of the software, I'd prefer to not take the chance. If people have something they really want backed up, we're going to have to work as a community to get things done legally to make sure nobody gets into trouble.

Keep up the recommendations everyone :D

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Hehe, was searching "Pippin" and learned that there is also an "Apple Bandai Pipp!n" multimedia technology platform. Looks like a Nintendo game console thing or so.
Browsers

Camino 2.1 - OS X 10.4+
TenFourFox - 10.4.11+
Classilla - OS 8.6 - OS X 10.3.9
Stainless - OS X 10.5
Firefox 3 - OS X 10.5 (is this different from Firefox 3 for 10.4.11?)

I'm accepting anything from MacOS 7 forward.

----------

Also, everyone, keep in mind that I'm not going to be able to backup programs that aren't free. I realize some of that stuff is hard to find, but unless I have written authorization from the owners of the software, I'd prefer to not take the chance. If people have something they really want backed up, we're going to have to work as a community to get things done legally to make sure nobody gets into trouble.

Keep up the recommendations everyone :D

You could "copy" everything from the existing sites like macintoshgarden.com, oldapps.org, http://mac.majorgeeks.com/ , oldversion.com etc. (could ask them and say, that it is of benefit for themselves, too, because it will be an additional backup).

Also there is someone selling a CD with "freeware" games on the net. I do not know, if there are really all freeware ones on it. he did sell it on Ebay, too for a while. Most games are OS 7. The graphics and organisation of the rest of this web page (which holds lots of great things for Macs of the Plus or SE era though) is actually crap.
http://www.jagshouse.com/cds.html#sw

Maybe it is worth for you backing up the following (for personal use, not illegally sharing ;). http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/

additional Games for OS X http://www.macjoy.com/

I will also send you a pm with an email of a person that has a private server, maybe she can help out, if some programs can not be found on the net anymore. Although she is more into collecting repair guides and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.