Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Can i format a 2G ipod for windows from my PowerBook? In other words, I want to reformat a 2G to be Windows compatible, and I want to know if i can do that from my PowerBook.

The reason I'm asking is because my Windows machine doesn't have a FireWire 400 port, so I can't format it from there. Else, if I can't do it from my PowerBook, then are the newer iPod-to-USB cables compatible with a 2G iPod, and can I format the 2G iPod through an iPod-to-USB cable from my windows machine?

I appreciate the help.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
well my answer might not help you, but i'd comment on your question. i do not own a pc (d'uh), nevertheless, i cannot imagine formatting an iPod on a mac would not work on a pc.

a problem would be, you cannot use the disk mode...

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
redAPPLE said:
well my answer might not help you, but i'd comment on your question. i do not own a pc (d'uh), nevertheless, i cannot imagine formatting an iPod on a mac would not work on a pc.

a problem would be, you cannot use the disk mode...

disk mode? If you mean use it as a data drive, yes you can. I have used a friend's windows formatted iPod on my mac as a USB drive; it works because I believe that the windows format is actually FAT32, which mac does read from (my sandisk USB drive is FAT32).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.