Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
javilionaire
macrumors newbie

Why is it so freaking hard to convert .mkv to .MP4?

I'm a so freaking pissed. I've been trying to convert a 720p MKV video file to a 720p MP4 file with NO video quality loss. I've been trying to do this for ALMOST A WEEK with no luck. All these threads go on about "demux" then you "remux" then you whatever "mux" ughhh!! I have no idea what any of that means. They then go on about having to do some crazy stuff in terminal with a program called MP4Box, I have no idea what that does or how to use it, what so ever.

Instead of spending weeks on trying to convert these damn 720p video files, isn't there a program that I can just drag the file onto, set it to MP4 and get my file with no quality loss?!?!

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE, THIS IS DRIVING ME FREAKING INSANE.
javilionaire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
chenks
macrumors 6502a

it's not hard at all, it's extremely easy.
use an app called MP4Tools if you want a simply click-and-go solution.
chenks is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3
javilionaire
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
Oh really?

I've just downloaded it and dropped my file onto the program. It is now converting.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4
AFITgrad86
macrumors newbie

Handbrake works just fine

I do a fair amount of MKV to MP4 conversion and have found Handbrake to do an adequate job. Keep in mind most of the MKV files are large HD files that I am converting from Make MKV for Apple TV but tweaking the quality settings has provided very high quality (albeit somewhat large) MP4 files in my iTunes library.

For my purposes the new Handbrake settings for the Apple TV 3 seem to be pretty good ... although I need to do some in depth testing to verify my initial impressions.

Hope this helps.
AFITgrad86 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:04 PM   #5
javilionaire
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFITgrad86 View Post
I do a fair amount of MKV to MP4 conversion and have found Handbrake to do an adequate job. Keep in mind most of the MKV files are large HD files that I am converting from Make MKV for Apple TV but tweaking the quality settings has provided very high quality (albeit somewhat large) MP4 files in my iTunes library.

For my purposes the new Handbrake settings for the Apple TV 3 seem to be pretty good ... although I need to do some in depth testing to verify my initial impressions.

Hope this helps.
Ah ok, I'm converting this to MP4 so that I can burn it to a DVD using Toast, which will create a HD-DVD. It'll be played on a 50" Television so I need to retain the quality!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javilionaire View Post
Ah ok, I'm converting this to MP4 so that I can burn it to a DVD using Toast, which will create a HD-DVD. It'll be played on a 50" Television so I need to retain the quality!
handbrake works well. Even a little kid can do it in less than 30 seconds. I mean that literally. Not to insult or anything. It's just that easy.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Sparky9292
macrumors 6502a

Lightbulb MP4Tools for Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
MP4Tools is the best OSX app for converting MKV to MP4 (or M4V rather) because most MKV's use H264 for video. In fact, if you have a fiber optic Dolby decoder connected to your AppleTV, then you can do pass thru conversions for both audio and video with MKV's and it takes seconds to convert an MKV to M4V.

I don't have a surround sound decoder box, so I need 2 Channel AAC audio. MP4Tools transcodes the audio to AAC in about 3 minutes on my i5 iMac.

I then dump the M4V into Identify 2 which tags it and moves it into iTunes for me.

Many noobies use Handbrake for converting MKV's. The problem is that Handbrake is really meant for DVD to MP4 conversion, so it always always transcodes the video stream which in these days, is not needed as all MKV's and most AVI's have the video encoded as mpeg4 or h264 -- both formats supported by AppleTV

What is the best equivalent of MP4Tools for Windows? Handbrake doesn't support pass thru.

Last edited by Sparky9292; Jun 12, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Sparky9292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky9292 View Post
[URL="http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html"]

Many noobies use Handbrake for converting MKV's. The problem is that Handbrake is really meant for DVD to MP4 conversion, so it always always transcodes the video stream which in these days, is not needed as all MKV's and most AVI's have the video encoded as mpeg4 or h264 -- both formats supported by AppleTV
First, I am not a "noobie" and use HB for all transcoding. Secondly, HB is as oriented toward BR transcoding as dvd. Thirdly, streaming high bitrate (uncompressed) over wifi can be problematic. Fourthly, HB produces exceptional quality transcodes, helps me get more mileage out of my HDD's and reduces wifi streaming start time and buffering.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:52 AM   #9
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
streaming high bitrate (uncompressed) over wifi can be problematic.
Even if a stream is using a high bitrate, it is probably still compressed, unless you meant RAW streams, which are hardly available for consumers anyway.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #10
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Even if a stream is using a high bitrate, it is probably still compressed, unless you meant RAW streams, which are hardly available for consumers anyway.
Since "noobs" may not understand that the mpeg2/h.264 content of dvd and BR's is compressed data from RAW, I will clarify my reference to "uncompressed" as being data that is the same as the dvd or BR source.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:04 PM   #11
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Instead of spending weeks on trying to convert these damn 720p video files, isn't there a program that I can just drag the file onto, set it to MP4 and get my file with no quality loss?!?!

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE, THIS IS DRIVING ME FREAKING INSANE.
Well that all depends on what type of video stream is in the mkv files you're trying to remux, as long as the video stream is compatible with the device you're trying to play it back on than remuxing should be easy. I suggest iFlicks, just drag your mkv file into it set the convert option to "iTunes compatible" and as long as the video stream is iTunes compliant it will remux the file in just a few minutes with no loss of quality, however if the video stream isn't compatible then you **** out of luck and a full reencode will be needed and I'm afraid that takes time, and you'll more than likely lose some quality.

Edit:-

Quote:
Well scratch all that, as you didn't specify, I assumed you wanted a mp4 file to play back in iTUnes or on an iOS device.
roidy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
robertpolson
macrumors member

It is very easy. Jsut use ivi and in settings enable pass through to quickly change from mkv to mp4 without converting.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ivi/id402279089?mt=12
robertpolson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Greggae512
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
It is very easy. Jsut use ivi and in settings enable pass through to quickly change from mkv to mp4 without converting.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ivi/id402279089?mt=12
So with ivi any other settings to make sure audio is compatible etc or subtitles get transferred as well to an ATV3/IPAD3 compatible format?
Greggae512 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM   #14
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggae512 View Post
So with ivi any other settings to make sure audio is compatible etc or subtitles get transferred as well to an ATV3/IPAD3 compatible format?
As far as I can tell so far the answer here is yes. Also good for joining files.

13" MBP mid 2012, 13" MB mid 2010, 20" iMac late 2006, 2 x ATV3, Assorted iPods
angelsguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:54 PM   #15
JAT
macrumors 603

So much easier to just connect the computer to the TV.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:53 PM   #16
andymodem
macrumors 6502a

+1 for iFlicks. I use it all the time to remux mkv to m4v for iTunes. Just drop it on the window, make sure it gets the right metadata, select iTunes compatible, and away it goes.

Edit: Should have read the whole thing.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:28 PM   #17
javilionaire
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymodem View Post
+1 for iFlicks. I use it all the time to remux mkv to m4v for iTunes. Just drop it on the window, make sure it gets the right metadata, select iTunes compatible, and away it goes.

I just converted it to .mp4 and it's going to take over 5 hours to burn to a DVD. On the other hand, I converted it to .mov using this other converter and it's taking 1 hour to burn now.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:22 PM   #18
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

Quote:
I just converted it to .mp4 and it's going to take over 5 hours to burn to a DVD. On the other hand, I converted it to .mov using this other converter and it's taking 1 hour to burn now.
Wonder which will have the better quality

13" MBP mid 2012, 13" MB mid 2010, 20" iMac late 2006, 2 x ATV3, Assorted iPods
angelsguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:12 PM   #19
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Use Subler if you just want to change the container. Use HandBrake if you want to transcode it. Subler is written by ritsuka who is a handbrake developer. It is not hard and both are free.
dynaflash is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:53 AM   #20
Sparky9292
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymodem View Post

Hmm. I use MP4Tools to convert mkv/avi to m4v (i.e. mp4) and then use Identity 2 to tag and copy it to itunes. Identity 2 uses IMDB for movies and TVDB for television shows.
Sparky9292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:23 AM   #21
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to use iVI now but wish it worked with stylized subs. Only thing I can think of that works with that is handbrake but requires it to be burned in
Djlild7hina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:18 PM   #22
jdiamond
macrumors regular

Guys, any thoughts about DVD movies?

I have mainly DVD movies (only a few Blu-Ray) but like to preserve the quality. Do you know if there's any way the format used inside a standard VIDEO_TS directory can be used directly by an m4v file? Or must you always do a video conversion? (I realize the container file must be changed...)

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by jdiamond; Jul 31, 2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
jdiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:38 PM   #23
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiamond View Post
I have mainly DVD movies (only a few Blu-Ray) but like to preserve the quality. Do you know if there's any way the format used inside a standard VIDEO_TS directory can be used directly by an m4v file? Or must you always do a video conversion? (I realize the container file must be changed...)

Thanks for the advice.
I have to assume that since you are wanting to end up with and m4v container, you are wanting to play the files on an aTV. DVD's are mpeg2. mpeg 2 will not play on an aTV, so you have to convert then to h.264.

So I guess the answer to your question is...no.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 03:18 PM   #24
RolledUp20s
macrumors regular

hold your horses...

have you got mountain lion? ...you have an apple TV. airplay from your mac using VLC to play the MKV.
Now..before you say ''i haven't got a mac''....you need a mac

...or, as i'm trying now out of curiosity- try Vuze. you drag MKV etc in the conversion programme built in, it ask...what playback device? click Apple TV 3 ..and it begins. not sure how long or what the quality is like yet...will soon see.

Last edited by RolledUp20s; Aug 2, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
RolledUp20s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:28 AM   #25
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

MKV2M4V on the AppStore. Super Easy.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater