Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durija

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Not sure if this is the right venue, but here goes: New Xfinity/Comcast install at my girlfriend's house a month ago, moving from Century Link/Driect TV due to satellite problems. Wifi works fine on her old hp windows notebook (that I just reformatted myself). In OS X SL I can see the network, so I input the correct WPA password and quickly get a "connection timeout". (I can connect via ethernet without a problem, but that would require running a really long cable to my office, two floors up.)

I boot into Windows 7 via bootcamp. Same basic story. No luck through Ubuntu either.

I can connect to the neighbors' unprotected Century Link DSL just fine (albeit slow). In fact, I almost never have problems connecting anywhere with my Mac, including Verizon FIOS at my old apartment, also with WPA encryption. I've checked all kinds of settings. All seem correct. I've tried DHCP and Manual. I've gone into her router settings, and I can't see anything weird there.

I've found a few references on the web, but they don't seem applicable or recent. Has anybody else encountered this? Is this a known Xfinity vs. Mac problem? Yes, if nobody here has an answer, I'll be calling the X folk soon.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Timeout issues, in my experience, are 95% of the time due to the gateway/access point/router. Before updating the firmware, try power cycling (unplug, wait a few minutes, reconnect) the networking hardware or check for firmware updates for the Xfinity box. Also, start out in the same room as the Xfinity box, and gradually move further away. Take note of what in the environment is in a direct line between the Mac and the gateway, there may be a source of wireless interference in between.

durija

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Timeout issues, in my experience, are 95% of the time due to the gateway/access point/router. Before updating the firmware, try power cycling (unplug, wait a few minutes, reconnect) the networking hardware or check for firmware updates for the Xfinity box. Also, start out in the same room as the Xfinity box, and gradually move further away. Take note of what in the environment is in a direct line between the Mac and the gateway, there may be a source of wireless interference in between.

Good points. The first time I tried it, I was in the same room as the router and only 8 feet away. I'll try powering off and on and looking for firmware updates, but I still think it's odd that the Windows machine and Mac get different results sitting right next to each other.

durija

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I thought I'd post an update, hoping someone else has had to solve this. These computers can connect AND GET INTERNET ACCESS to the Comcast/Xfinity modem/router combo:
HP Windows 7 PC via ethernet or wirelessly
HP Windows XP PC via via ethernet or wirelessly
iMac OSX 10.6 via wireless (have not tried ethernet)
Dell Mini 9 Linux via wireless (have not tried ethernet)

But my MBP running 10.6, 10.8 or Win7 can connect to the router, but CANNOT ACCESS THE INTERNET, even when connected via ethernet.

I have the feeling that the Comcast/Xfinity router is somehow blocking my mac address. Just a hunch.

Customer support is useless. They just tell me to restart everything. And if that doesn't work (which it never does), they want to charge me to troubleshoot it.

Fortunately, I'm able to get access by sharing the iMac's connection via firewire.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Comcast/Xfinity. DSL is out of the question in my location.

The iMac is on deathwatch, so I'm hoping to find a solution. Any ideas?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
On the problem MBP, how is it set to configure IPv4? Using DHCP (which it should be) or some other method? You may have settings issues on the MPB. You could always delete the interfaces in network settings and re-add them. I guess you could try matching the settings to what is working on the iMac.

You never mentioned what brand the WiFi base is. Or is it actually marked as a Comcast something or other?

durija

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
On the problem MBP, how is it set to configure IPv4? Using DHCP (which it should be) or some other method? You may have settings issues on the MPB. You could always delete the interfaces in network settings and re-add them. I guess you could try matching the settings to what is working on the iMac.

You never mentioned what brand the WiFi base is. Or is it actually marked as a Comcast something or other?

The WiFi base is a standard issue Comcast Motorola.
I matched the settings on the iMac exactly on the MBP with both in booted into 10.6. No go. The weird thing is that I AM getting an IP for the MBP from the router, but at the router's config page it does not show up as a connected device and of course, I still have no internet.

MuckSavage70

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
Denver, CO
When you are connected, but not able to connect to the internet, does it give you a dns server and a search domain? Sounds like for some reason the dhcp server on the router is not giving you all of the information you need. I'd be willing to guess that when you connect the router gives you a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address?

Just a hunch, is the router able to broadcast on the 'n' band? What Macbook Pro do you have?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 3.18.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 3.18.42 PM.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 505

Apollograce

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Not alone

I'm struggling with this same problem at my parents' house. No problem for any windows computers, but my MacBook Pro and my mom's MacBook Air both get really inconsistent results, often getting locked out after being woken from sleep. The router seems to be an Arris TG862G.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Try calling Xfinity tech support. There is an issue where they somehow limit the number of devices that can access their DNS gateway.

This happened to me twice in the past few years. Called them up, they reset something that allowed me unlimited connections and the trouble device/computer immediately worked.

Pmnilsen

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015
I thought I'd post an update, hoping someone else has had to solve this. These computers can connect AND GET INTERNET ACCESS to the Comcast/Xfinity modem/router combo:
HP Windows 7 PC via ethernet or wirelessly
HP Windows XP PC via via ethernet or wirelessly
iMac OSX 10.6 via wireless (have not tried ethernet)
Dell Mini 9 Linux via wireless (have not tried ethernet)

But my MBP running 10.6, 10.8 or Win7 can connect to the router, but CANNOT ACCESS THE INTERNET, even when connected via ethernet.

I have the feeling that the Comcast/Xfinity router is somehow blocking my mac address. Just a hunch.

Customer support is useless. They just tell me to restart everything. And if that doesn't work (which it never does), they want to charge me to troubleshoot it.

Fortunately, I'm able to get access by sharing the iMac's connection via firewire.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Comcast/Xfinity. DSL is out of the question in my location.

I have had the same problem, it is a certain modem/ router that Comcast uses. As far as I can tell the arris routers do not work with Mac. My old xfimity router worked fine and we just switched service, now the new one doesn't. The router one the right works fine, I will be switching them out asap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    896.4 KB · Views: 558
Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.