Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronin64

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Hi, I was wondering how the battery life is with Mountain Lion? When I upgraded to Lion my battery life took a hit and was wondering if it will drop more with Mountain Lion.

Thanks in advance.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Hi, I was wondering how the battery life is with Mountain Lion? When I upgraded to Lion my battery life took a hit and was wondering if it will drop more with Mountain Lion.

Thanks in advance.

It's definitely improved in Mountain Lion. I came from Lion and I can tell there is a vast improvement. Most people here have reported the same thing. I would suggest you back up your data and do a clean install of Mountain Lion for the best results.

dr.george

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I'm getting terrible battery life on ML, draining super fast.

Bad as half the time.

Anyone else experiencing this??

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm getting terrible battery life on ML, draining super fast.

Bad as half the time.

Anyone else experiencing this??
It likely has nothing to do with ML, and more likely is a runaway process or other issue.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

Last edited:

dr.george

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
It likely has nothing to do with ML, and more likely is a runaway process or other issue.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the [/B]System Memory[/B] tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

Here it is, any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 12.04.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 12.04.34 PM.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 352
  • Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 12.05.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 12.05.12 PM.png
    192.8 KB · Views: 281

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
It's much improved for me (early 2011 13" MBP). I also took a serious hit with Lion. With ML it seems more in line with Snow Leopard battery performance.

(upgraded, no clean install)

duecedos

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Activity Monitor Shots

22_1.png

22_2.png
22_3.png

22_4.png
22_5.png

22_6.png

22_7.png

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to maximize the battery life/I don't need running.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtcasey

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
New Mexico
I have a 15" late-2011 MBP which I did a clean install of ML on. Before ML I had awesome battery life but since ML I can almost watch the battery percentage drop. Since the clean install I've installed Office 2010, Chrome, Handbrake, Citrix Receiver, and VLC only. I didn't see anything standing out in my processes list.

I decided to download and install gfxCardStatus and I noticed I was running on the discrete card (ATI) and not the integrated one. Odd since I am running on battery right now and I've not yet even installed anything which would even require the additional graphics card oomph.

Since forcing the graphics card to the integrated I've gone from 71% for 2.5 hours to 71% for 5 hours.

Is there an issue with ML not using the integrated card or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? I'd prefer not to use a third-party app to do something I can do in the usual settings of my MBP.

Additionally, what might I be doing wrong compared to those who aren't having battery life issues with ML?

Thanks everyone.

Dave

Gorge

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Mine is awful. I came home and my laptop was at 99%. With chrome, excel, and a 2nd monitor running, I'm at 97%. I just restarted my laptop and brightness is at 100%. I haven't been running any intense programs/sites either. I have an early 2011 13 in MBP

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Battery drain

I seem to be having battery issues as well. I just took it off the charger maybe 20 minutes ago and now I am at 87% only web browsing and iTunes running.
I also just installed a brand new SSD and installed ML on it then did Migration Assistant. So I am not really sure which is to blame.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
Apparently chrome will activate the discrete video card more then safari. This will have a major impact in battery life.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Apparently chrome will activate the discrete video card more then safari. This will have a major impact in battery life.

What about firefox or aurora? I been using aurora and safari mainly, and this drain is just insane. don't use chrome ever really, it is installed but i rarely use it

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Killing SugarSync & DropBox on Launch returned battery performance

I bought a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 13 i7 machine that had Lion on it. Upgraded to Mountain Lion and saw my battery performance go from nearly 7hrs under Lion to just over 2hrs under ML. I read several threads and tried all the SMC/PRAM resets, killing email accounts that I don't use much, turning off iCloud, etc. to no avail. They only made a marginal difference.

I was about to call Apple as a last resort, and then look at returning this machine since I'm still inside my return to BestBuy window.

On a whim, I started closing apps one by one that automatically launch on start up. After closing SugarSync, most of my battery performance came back. Closing DropBox helped some as well. Now, it appears that pretty much all my battery performance is back and possibly a bit more than before with Lion.

I haven't tested this for days or anything, but for the last few days I've only been consistently getting a little over 2hrs of performance on a full charge. Now, as of last night and this morning, I'm getting at least 7hrs and sometimes showing over 8hrs left. I've only been running Safari and Mail, but just closing SugarSync and DropBox seemed to have drastically improved my battery performance under Mountain Lion.

Predator69

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Did an upgrade, I use a lot of Teamviewer and Browsing the on my MBA and after ML i notice a slight drop on battery life or is it because it just shows the percentage in ML?

I used to show the remaining hours on SL previously.

PLus I notice with ML my MBA built up heat just below the screen . Anyway notice the heat ?

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
There appears to be a bug with Google Chrome where it forces the use of the discrete card. Maybe they will put their slick background autoupdate feature to use and fix this.

duecedos

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Begin by restarting your Mac to reset your page outs to zero. Then use your Mac as you normally would, periodically checking to see if you have any page outs under normal use.

Also, follow the suggestions here:

My system Early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" base model w/ 8 GB ram
2.3 Intel Core i5

I did as you guys suggested. It is still dropping a bit faster in the beginning (100%-80%) than before but it evens out in the middle of the charge (60%-30%) of the battery charge. My wife's Macbook Pro (Late 2001) seems to be having no issues but then again, she doesn't have anything running in the background. She only uses Safari and Word.

I now get about 5 hours of battery life out of it which seems about what I got with Lion. I can't remember but I think Snow Leopard was a bit longer. However, I can't confirm that.

I took a few extra steps to conserve battery life. Turned off TWITTER running as an app in the background. Turned of FACEBOOK, AUTOANSWER FACETIME, and maybe one more. I can't remember.

This gives me about 5+ hours now.

What kind of battery life should we be expecting from a Macbook Pro Early 2011 base model 13", 8 GB of ram? I think I'm very happy with 5 hours now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What kind of battery life should we be expecting from a Macbook Pro Early 2011 base model 13", 8 GB of ram?
As battery life depends completely on your configuration, settings and what you have running, there is no "expected" battery life. It can vary widely between users of the same model computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.