Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k9jri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
For several years four of us have met in a daily 4-way one hour video conference using iChat and then later the Messages beta. While it has not been perfect it has always been a useable conference. Immediately upon installing Mountain Lion we found that the video conference would be unuseable when the third person was added to the conference.

The normal configuration is that the conference host's image is at the bottom center of the conference screen with the other three conference members in larger windows immediately above the host in a horizontal string of three images. After installing ML all four of us experince complete distortion of the images with then being strung in vertical windows that contain one or all of the conference participants in each of two of three vertical windows. Not only are there mutiple occurrances of each participant but the images themselves have distorted aspect ratios.

The problem appears only on the machines that have been upgraded to Mountain Lion. If one of the confree's uses Lion, rather than ML, then that machine never receives distorted images even while others on the conference using ML are receiving distorted images.

The machines that we use do not seem related to the problem rather Mountain Lion appears to be the key. The machines used by the group are:
1- Mid 2012 MacBook AIR, 1 - Mid 2011 MacBook Air, 2- Late 2009 Mac minis, 1- 2008 Aluminum MacBook, 1-2008 Aluminum iMac and 1 late 2007 plastic iMac (Lion only on this machine).

It would be nice if any other 3-4 person Massages video conference users would verify this video problem under Mountain Lion. Please respond back here to see if it is a widespread issue.

Mike

madcow9100

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I've had a similar problem with a 3 person chat in messages. The only thing I can see is a thin window with what appears to be a very stretched out version of the top part of my brother's head. If i drag the window wider, i can see the people I'm chatting with, but I have to keep it that way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.