Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asopchak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I will be receiving my first Mac this coming week and would like to use the airplay feature to my TV. Ideally, to my PS3 that is connected, but if I can make it work some other way I will be satisfied. Is there a way to do this without Apple TV? I am fine with hacking the PS3, I would just like to avoid jail-breaking the iPhone. Is there any method to making this work?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you need an appleTV

there are 2 modes of video airplay.
1 - the video plays on the screen, for apps like the native video player, youtube, and some games. you will get a fullscreen image, with no user interface overlayed.
some games will give you a "second screen" using this, the controls will be on your phone, while the main action display will be on the TV.

2 - mirroring, the display is copied directly to the screen, What you see on your device is what you see on the TV, top bar with clock, any buttons and such.
Due to aspect ratio differences, you will have black bars at the sides of your television screen, and it might not fill the screen top to bottom either. also if your device is in portrait or landscape will affect the display on the TV.
a lot of media apps (things like cartoon network, or the olympics) use this mode, as the content providers see it as possibly interfering with their revenue stream if you could watch the video in full screen on your TV.

it depends on the app developer as to weither the app supports full screen video airplay or not.

you must have a iPhone 4S or iPad 2 or newer to do mirroring.
I'm not sure if jailbreaking a 4 will allow you to do it or not, i'm guessing not, as i believe the 4S has a special chip to help with the video encoding. in much the same you you mac must be less than a year old to do airplay mirroring.

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
you defiantely need an apple tv.

If your trying to air play to a 3rd gen apple tv with an 4 your going to get choppy video. If you use a 2nd gen atv and a 4s you get choppy video. The best solution is to use a 4s(or a new mac) and 3rd gen atv for air play.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I have an iPhone 5 and PS3, isn't there any way to have full AirPlay via software from the iOS devices to the PS3?
Any Apps out there?

Ic3y

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
you defiantely need an apple tv.

If your trying to air play to a 3rd gen apple tv with an 4 your going to get choppy video. If you use a 2nd gen atv and a 4s you get choppy video. The best solution is to use a 4s(or a new mac) and 3rd gen atv for air play.

My iPhone 4 to 3rd gen Apple TV works just fine. I never get choppy video, even airplaying 1080p mkv files from my NAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.