Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 6, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Outlook 2011 performance on Mountain Lion

Has anyone noticed that Outlook 2011 when running against an Exchange Server has dramatically slowed down when running on Mountain Lion? This is a fresh install of Mountain Lion and a new install of Office 2011 (been running for a few weeks) and it still hasn't settled down yet. Anyone else seeing this?
monkeybagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Markocmac
macrumors newbie

Yes, I also have the same. Sometimes takes many minutes to send an email or synchronise and I get the spinning colour wheel a lot.
Markocmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 05:34 AM   #3
webclue
macrumors newbie

The same here. In addition I have a very annoying problem with the email editor: I start to write and after some characters, the the editor lost the focus and I have to click again into the editor. Sometimes I have to retype whole sentences!
webclue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
jfjoyner3
macrumors newbie

Spinning color wheel in Office for Mac

I never had this problem until I upgraded my (new) MacBook Pro to Mountain Lion.
jfjoyner3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #5
ketkoota
macrumors newbie

I am experiencing all of the above. Does anyone have a potential resolution for this?
ketkoota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
brownsme
macrumors newbie

Slowed right down after Mountain Lion installaion

I had been using Outlook for Mac 2011 for 6 months on a new Macbook Air, top of the line, then I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Now Outlook slows right down on many operations, but the main two are:
- search
- scrolling up or down in the main emails list

I am connected to an Exchange Server.

I'm on Outlook 14.2.3 and there are no new updates...
I already played around with turning off the Email > Reading > Conversations options...

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to work offline but have regular syncs automatically? Any workaround for the slow scrolling?

brownsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
jfjoyner3
macrumors newbie

Microsoft unresponsive on spinning color wheel

I gave in to temptation and incurred the $259 support call to Microsoft to ask for a solution to the spinning color wheel in Outlook post-Mountain Lion.

After waiting for nearly 30 minutes, I gave up and hung up, never having spoken with tech support.

Can we be sure Microsoft even knows (or cares) about these problems with Outlook?

This is highly frustrating! I was trying to close a business sale with people in multiple locations, and every time I tried to read an email I had to make everyone else wait while the spinning color wheel overtook all Outlook processes.
jfjoyner3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
jelee01
macrumors newbie

OMG, i thought it was just me. Not much information out there. Yes, I have all above. Was using Outlook for Mac 2011 since it came out on mid-2010 MBP, 8GB RAM, etc. No issues. But now, upgraded to OSX mountain lion and now... spinning wheels on Outlook and where it REALLY hurts is when you are searching folders. Searches stall, lag, spinning wheel, etc. VERY frustrating.

Have tried common repair disk, repair permissions, even reset PRAM. Nothing. Have tried twice to repair microsoft database using MS Database utility, but that fails to complete.

Anyone else? thoughts?
jelee01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:49 PM   #9
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

No problems with Exchange and IMAP accounts on a 2012 MBA.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Black Diesel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Has anyone noticed that Outlook 2011 when running against an Exchange Server has dramatically slowed down when running on Mountain Lion? This is a fresh install of Mountain Lion and a new install of Office 2011 (been running for a few weeks) and it still hasn't settled down yet. Anyone else seeing this?
FYI - my Outlook was giving me the same issues (slow, unresponsive, and also crashing) but I downloaded a new update last night from MS and it updated my Outlook database. After the update it seems to be working like it should now, you people might want to try to download the updates to see if it fixes your problems. Fingers crossed.
Black Diesel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diesel View Post
FYI - my Outlook was giving me the same issues (slow, unresponsive, and also crashing) but I downloaded a new update last night from MS and it updated my Outlook database. After the update it seems to be working like it should now, you people might want to try to download the updates to see if it fixes your problems. Fingers crossed.
Maybe that will fix it. I went out on a limb and gave it one more shot on Mountain Lion on a new machine that just arrived. It does have power to spare which may be covering up some of the issues, but I installed Office 2011 Standard with SP2 on 10.8.2 and it actually is usable and runs okay on a 12-core Mac Pro with a 512 SSD.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Black Diesel
macrumors member

Has anyone else tried the latest Outlook 2011 updates with ML? Mine seems to be working much better but I want to confirm all bugs have been fixed before I make the switch from Entourage to Outlook.
Black Diesel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:23 AM   #13
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diesel View Post
Has anyone else tried the latest Outlook 2011 updates with ML? Mine seems to be working much better but I want to confirm all bugs have been fixed before I make the switch from Entourage to Outlook.
I'm running ML and O11 on a 2012 MBA. No problems so far.

BTW, I med the switch from E08 to 011 on two machines. O11 never crashes, unlike E08. However, E08 was superior because 1) you have the option of automatically checking spelling before a message is sent and 2) you can lock the font viewing size, which isn't an option in O11. It's really annoying to have to compose emails in an uncomfortably small font.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:36 AM   #14
SSSmart
macrumors newbie

Outlook doesn't save any properties

I've just started using Outlook 2011 at my new Mac Air. Issue is that none of the properties in preferences stays after quit. And each time I start Outlook I see Welcome to Outlook window.
Have you seen the same?
SSSmart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:59 AM   #15
millipede
macrumors newbie

same problem MBP late 2011

Hi Forum,

I can sadly confirm all the below problems ONLY started after upgrading to ML on my MBP late 2011 with 8 GB RAM:
- windows looses focus or cursor jumps to signature - you have to retype whole sentences at times
- very poor performance on search
- poor performance scrolling in folders

I don't understand why all of the above was working fine on Lion. The search feature was actually lightning fast - now it is frustratingly slow.

I have tried a few of the suggestions here, cleared prefs and plists, reindexed, even defragmented the hard disk. no folder has got more than 1 Gig, all folder together even less than 2 Gigs.

I am posting this it got worse over time, since the last couple of days it is literally unusable - even replying to a short email brings up the spinning wheel for a minute after every every third word so that I now have to work using webmail. It's very frustrating and I hope MS or Apple will do something about this...

(BTW all other applications run fast as usual - just office is misbehaving so badly...)

update:
two things helped
1) I removed the 'old' preferences folder completely from ~/Library/Preferences
2) I rebuilt the main identity by starting Outlook holding the ALT/Option key
now it's working fast again - not sure about the loosing focus though...

Last edited by millipede; Mar 27, 2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: updated information
millipede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:11 AM   #16
EricBrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by millipede View Post
I am posting this it got worse over time, since the last couple of days it is literally unusable - even replying to a short email brings up the spinning wheel for a minute after every every third word so that I now have to work using webmail. It's very frustrating and I hope MS or Apple will do something about this...
Same here millipede, it has become unbearable. Every few words I type the spinning ball turns and turns. Looging up a name in the TO field takes about 1/2 minute. I am thinking about using the web interface. It is tons faster.
EricBrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:39 AM   #17
mephistomega
macrumors newbie

Possible Solution - Disable Autodiscover Feature

All,

I have been experiencing all of the issues listed in this thread (and numerous others), and have had success for the past several days with the solution described below. The issue appears to be an autodiscover feature that is running constantly in the background. it is (endlessly) querying the Exchange server, and causing the delays in the system. I ran the very simple script noted below, and have ceased to have any issues whatsoever. I hope it works for you.

Steps:
1/ Open Applescript from //applications/utilities and paste the below script
2/ Save script
3/ Restart Outlook

Note: Below where it states “NameOfAccount” insert the name of your mail account. This is not your user name. It is the name listed in Outlook Preferences in the Account Description box. ("cmd ," Accounts button)

Script

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
set background autodiscover of exchange account "NameOfAccount" to false
end tell

Notes:
1/ I have one account in Outlook, and it is a MS-Exchange account. If you are running multiple accounts (gmail, yahoo, etc) I would suggest you first run the script for an Exchange account. Then run additional scripts for each account if the problem persists.
2/ Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (fully updated)
3/ MacBook Pro at 2.3GHz, Intel i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3
4/ MS-Outlook for Mac 14.3.4 (updated to 11 June 2013)
mephistomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:10 AM   #18
turbosess
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephistomega View Post
All,

I have been experiencing all of the issues listed in this thread (and numerous others), and have had success for the past several days with the solution described below. The issue appears to be an autodiscover feature that is running constantly in the background. it is (endlessly) querying the Exchange server, and causing the delays in the system. I ran the very simple script noted below, and have ceased to have any issues whatsoever. I hope it works for you.

Steps:
1/ Open Applescript from //applications/utilities and paste the below script
2/ Save script
3/ Restart Outlook

Note: Below where it states “NameOfAccount” insert the name of your mail account. This is not your user name. It is the name listed in Outlook Preferences in the Account Description box. ("cmd ," Accounts button)

Script

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
set background autodiscover of exchange account "NameOfAccount" to false
end tell

Notes:
1/ I have one account in Outlook, and it is a MS-Exchange account. If you are running multiple accounts (gmail, yahoo, etc) I would suggest you first run the script for an Exchange account. Then run additional scripts for each account if the problem persists.
2/ Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (fully updated)
3/ MacBook Pro at 2.3GHz, Intel i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3
4/ MS-Outlook for Mac 14.3.4 (updated to 11 June 2013)
Has the above solution worked for anyone? I have gone through the most extensive of efforts to speed up my Outlook searches. I have configured spotlight to ONLY search/index the Outlook DB. I am running on a MacPro with 16GB of RAM and a PCI SSD - it's FAST.

I completely removed every single solitary piece of Microsoft software.

I did a combo update for ML.

Then I deleted 50% of all my email on the server before re-installing outlook and re-syncing.

Search is still slow and takes time to load all the results - it's insane.

Brand new identity, everything - you name it....
turbosess is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
determining changes, mountain lion, outlook 2011, performance