Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallivant

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
The Airport on my well-used TiBook has very recently started getting very iffy. It'll completely lose the signal for several minutes on end, get it back for a little while, lose it again. It has nothing to do with my distance or line-of-sight to the AP; it's happened when I wasn't touching the TiBook and it had a *perfect* under-10-feet LOS to the AP. One second I'm online, the next it can't see any wireless signal at all. Anyone know what's going on here?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife has loss of signal strength occasionally, very frustrating. It seems that the metal case of the PowerBook often causes this problem. For my wife the Mac OS updates has improved her signal strength. If you live near an Apple Store or Wi-Fi site, that would be a good way to make sure that your Airport Card is functioning properly.

gallivant

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
It's not a "bad reception" issue. I have full signal; then abruptly lose it. It happens no matter how close to the AP I am, and no matter how unobstructed the signal is. I've seen the same effect on my home network, my school network, and a completely open network at a cafe. Full signal, then suddenly *nothing* for a while, then - if I'm lucky - it regains the full signal again.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
gallivant said:
It's not a "bad reception" issue. I have full signal; then abruptly lose it. It happens no matter how close to the AP I am, and no matter how unobstructed the signal is. I've seen the same effect on my home network, my school network, and a completely open network at a cafe. Full signal, then suddenly *nothing* for a while, then - if I'm lucky - it regains the full signal again.

You are not alone. My wife's Ti PB used to do the same thing. Although she thought that it was a loose connection. Gently pressing down on the case in select locations would make it work again. I kind of doubted that, opened it up and the Airport card appeared to be seated properly. Anyway, it has not happened after that. So maybe it was a loose connection after all.
:confused:
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.