Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I noticed the first time I plugged a Thunderbolt plug into my MBP Retina that the fitting feels a bit loose. I've plugged in both the Apple Thunderbolt–Ethernet adaptor and the mini-display port for my monitor, and both waggle from side to side by a good few millimetres.

But I think it's mainly the Thunderbolt–Ethernet adaptor. Could it just be that the plug on that thing is particularly long, so it makes it seem like it move more?

Has anyone else noticed this?

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yep, I agree. I just checked the USB ports and compared them with my old 17" MBP ones. The USB ports in the old laptop are really solid – just right. All the ports in the new MBP Retina wiggle around.

beeto

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
My Thunderbolt ports are very loose also. Seems to be a design flaw of some type. I use the ethernet adaptor from this port, and I can not move the laptop even slightly or the ethernet connection drops. I'll be taking this to get repaired...

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2012
My Thunderbolt ports are very loose also. Seems to be a design flaw of some type. I use the ethernet adaptor from this port, and I can not move the laptop even slightly or the ethernet connection drops. I'll be taking this to get repaired...

Mine is doing exactly the same - disconnecting if moved even slightly. Not usable when the laptop is on my knee.

Did you get yours fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.