Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMillerACS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hello all,
This is my first foray into threads like this.

I work at a very small school and we have a Ricoh MP 2550. Unfortunately, in order to be able to print directly from my Mac to the Ricoh 2550, we apparently would need to buy a $650 postscript card. Since I am the only Mac user at the school, this will not happen. I am wondering if there are any applications or other ways out there for Mac computers that will solve this problem in a less expensive way.

I know that there is an app for iPad and iPhone called Smart Device Print that allows one to print from it to a Ricoh printer on the same network without the $650 card. Does anyone know if there is an app similar to this in the Mac app store?

Thanks for your help.

I am currently running OS X Lion (10.7.4)

Last edited:

DMillerACS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the tip, but I am now having trouble downloading a driver for my computer that isn't a PPD. They have a PCL driver for Windows, but would that work if I downloaded it?

DMillerACS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I downloaded the driver from Gutenprint (this printer was supported), but now when I try to print something, the printer only pauses. When I resume printing, it just pauses again. According to the job message "The printer URI is incorrect or no longer exists."

Does anyone know what I should try next?

ekko20six

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
Hey DMillerACS,

I have a Ricoh MP C2551 in my office and was also told I would need to purchase the postscript card. Like you, I am in the minority - only two of us use macs!

I did find a solution that worked for me though.
Check out - http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosxpxlmono

Basically there are three steps. Install Foomatic. Install pxlmono. Install gplgs.

Then when you add the printer it will work like it is supposed to. All features even. You should even be able to see supply level etc.

I added the printer by using the IP address after installing everything as mentioned. The driver should come up automatically when you add it.

Let me know if you have troubles and I will see what else I can add to help.

Best of luck! and happy printing!

DMillerACS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
ekko20six,
Thanks so much for this tip. It worked for me too. Now I don't have to get my documents to another printer and print from there.

To anyone else facing a similar situation, the previous post provided me with my solution.

rmcgrath14

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Strange problem

First off: Thank you very much for the great fix offered. This has worked great on my MBP and my boss's.

However, we are experiencing an issue on another mac in our building.

The work around was great on our two 15" MBPs. However, we have a 13" MBP that this is NOT working on.

We are all running the latest version of Mountain Lion (10.8.2).

We are all connected to the same network, with the same signal quality.

However, the 13" MBP is claiming that it cannot verify the printer. After pressing continue, it continually pauses the print jobs. It works through printer sharing, but nothing else.

I have installed the Ricoh drivers, the Guten Print files, and even the pxlmono solution. Nothing seems to be working. Restarted the router, the computer, reset the printing system, everything that has been suggested.

dfns

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Thanks for the information... but i have a Ricoh Aficio SP C820DN which doesn't seem to be on the supported list...

Can someone help?:)

PastorBrad

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
I installed the IP, but when I print, it does something crazy where it prints a bunch of letters and numbers. So......It is communicating wirelessly with it, but yet it is not getting the right signal

emfglobal

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
same issue

I installed the IP, but when I print, it does something crazy where it prints a bunch of letters and numbers. So......It is communicating wirelessly with it, but yet it is not getting the right signal
I'm having the same issue. Getting some coded pages and a bunch of empties?

Anyone with a fix out there??

jschlegel

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
It doesn't have postscript but it is a PCL printer.

Add the printer as an IP (network) printer, and "Print Using:" the "Generic PCL Laser Printer" option.

Thank's Brian!

MB Pro 13" with El Capitan: this works flawless with a Ricoh MP C2051 network printer.

cheers Johannes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.