Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

The Hobbit 2012,2013,2014

For Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Fans, shocking news. They are turning The Hobbit into a trilogy! Un-fracking believable. I don't care how good it is, that's BS.

Wired.com article
Huntn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I will end up going to see all three, and I like the idea of a longer + more true to the book story. But I don't like the idea of 3 cinema tickets and a long wait in-between.

Just like the final HP film, they want but really don't need the extra cash.
charlieegan3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
I will end up going to see all three, and I like the idea of a longer + more true to the book story. But I don't like the idea of 3 cinema tickets and a long wait in-between.

Word has it that they had to use background info not included in the book to create enough content for 3 movies. For fans who have read the book think about this, where will they split the story? I feel very confident this story could have been told in 2 movies.

The following might be considered spoiler material. Proceed with caution.

1. Up to where Bilbo finds the ring.
2. Beorn's Farm and Spiders
3. Wood Elves and the Dragon.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

unnecessary, except to, of course, well....

cha-ching!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:26 PM   #5
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I wouldn't compare the HP last book in two parts to the Hobbit. The HP last book itself was uneven and really did need at least two movies to get most of the story in. The last book was long and odious.

As for the Hobbit, I am not happy about 3 movies, but if they are faithful to the original I can live with that. My gripe is the aftermath of studio double and triple dipping into our pockets with DVD, DVD extended, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray extended, collectors editions et cetera. LOTR fans know exactly what I am talking about. This is the real money rip off of the stuidos verses dividing the intricate story into three movies. I'll wait for the extended Blu-Ray movies and most likely will skip the theater experience. (Perhaps when it goes to rental late next year, I'll rent the first of the three movies).
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:09 AM   #6
chrono1081
macrumors 604

The amount of whining in this thread is unreal. Its three movies, I'm sure its not going to be full of nothing.

If any of you watched the preproduction videos you'd see that they split it into three to fit more of the story since two movies left them needing to cut out a lot of side stories and appendices.

Sheesh, if you want to see it go watch it and enjoy it. Not everything out there is made to rob and steal your money.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
The amount of whining in this thread is unreal. Its three movies, I'm sure its not going to be full of nothing.

If any of you watched the preproduction videos you'd see that they split it into three to fit more of the story since two movies left them needing to cut out a lot of side stories and appendices.

Sheesh, if you want to see it go watch it and enjoy it. Not everything out there is made to rob and steal your money.
To be honest, I'm not sure that it is 'whining' per se, (and most certainly, it is not a feeling that someone is out to 'rob' or 'steal' my money - if I think something is worth seeing or reading, I'll happily pay for it); rather, it is a feeling that the book may not have enough material or depth to sustain a narrative arc over three movies. As it happened, I really liked the book, and if he pulls it off as a three movie adaptation, good luck to him.

TLOTR was a massive, epic, tome that spread over three long books, and readily lent itself to a break down into three movies - this split already existed in the books, which had created a world in incredible detail, and was reproduced extremely well in the movies.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
For Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Fans, shocking news. They are turning The Hobbit into a trilogy! Un-fracking believable. I don't care how good it is, that's BS.

Wired.com article
I have to say that I agree with you. Completely. Whatever about The Lord of the Rings - which was a massive tome, with an epic and exceptionally detailed world depicted in the books - which, as such, merited a movie adaptation which took the form of a trilogy, I cannot for the life of me see what is in The Hobbit (an utterly charming book) to fill two long movies, let alone three.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

The Lord of the Rings was a trilogy of books so it makes sense to make a trilogy of movies. I can see the Hobbit as 2 movies, 3 seems like a stretch.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:41 PM   #10
malman89
macrumors 65816

I'm guessing they don't have it all filmed, but they should just do it all and then release it on a Green Day Uno/Dos/Tre schedule (September/November/January).

Every two months (or a movie maybe three max) is more than enough to have people to see it - those that rush right away and those that slack and wait for the theaters to be less crowded or whatever.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Should Sir Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh have dipped into the trove of Hobbit lore that was contained in The Silmarillion then I can see more than just a three episode Hobbit The Sillmarillion was compiled by Christopher Tolkien from the mountain of annotated pre history of the fables.

When the movies are released, then it will be up to each whether to see them or not.

KGB
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Beard View Post
Should Sir Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh have dipped into the trove of Hobbit lore that was contained in The Silmarillion then I can see more than just a three episode Hobbit The Sillmarillion was compiled by Christopher Tolkien from the mountain of annotated pre history of the fables.

When the movies are released, then it will be up to each whether to see them or not.

KGB
You are saying it could be possible that the story does not start with an "unexpected party?" Or maybe it starts there and then flashes all over the place.

Last edited by Huntn; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:50 PM   #13
lowbelly
macrumors member

I hope it's not too campy, those dwarves look puhretty lame
lowbelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:47 AM   #14
bobob
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I will end up going to see all three, and I like the idea of a longer + more true to the book story.
It's true that the story is longer, but it is definitely false that it is more true to the book story.

Granted, I am a huge fan of the book and have read it many times, so I may be deemed a purist, but I didn't like this film adaptation at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Beard View Post
Christopher Tolkien, who rescued his father's hand scrawled notes from disorganized boxes and made his life's work to decode, edit, and get the source material published in the form of The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the twelve volume History of Middle-earth, is no fan of Peter Jackson's film adaptations:

Quote:
Invited to meet Peter Jackson, the Tolkien family preferred not to. Why? "They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Tolkien says regretfully.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing.
- via Le Monde
bobob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobob View Post
Christopher Tolkien, who rescued his father's hand scrawled notes from disorganized boxes and made his life's work to decode, edit, and get the source material published in the form of The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the twelve volume History of Middle-earth, is no fan of Peter Jackson's film adaptations:
Quote:
"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Tolkien says regretfully.
No surprise that I agree with this evaluation. Honestly I am surprised that someone with artistic sensibilities like Peter Jackson could be so spot on, so true to LOTR and get it so wrong with The Hobbit. For someone who is just watching the movies, it's a fine distinction, but if you are a Hobbit book fan, it's not.

My exposure to these books started with The Hobbit and I was bowled over. I knew I wanted more and when I started the LOTR, I immediately recognized I was on to something much darker. This is the kind of distinction that either did not register with Jackson or it was a calculated decision to minimize it and turn The Hobbit into the LOTR prequel which in reality it is not. Yes the story happens in the same universe, but it's about dwarves attempting to take their home back from a dragon, not the battle for Middle Earth.

A side note, at the end of the movie when the troupe was trapped in the tree tops, I don't recall there being any orcs there at all....just evil wolves in the book, which are referred to as "wargs", who got pelted with fiery pine cones before their prey was whisked away by Eagles.

I don't like how they imaged the goblins, just a variation on orcs imo. Based on Tolkien's description I picture them as tall and lank. Something more like from the World of Warcraft (although these are trolls). Maybe I've been unduly influenced. :

LOTR Wikia:Goblins
Quote:
Tolkien described them as big, ugly creatures, "cruel, wicked, and bad-hearted." Tolkien explained in a note at the start of The Hobbit that he was using English to represent the languages used by the characters, and that goblin (or hobgoblin for the larger kind) was the English translation he was using for the word Orc, which (he wrote) is the hobbits' form of the name for them. Tolkien used the term goblin extensively in The Hobbit, and also occasionally in The Lord of the Rings, as when the Uruk-hai of Isengard are first described: "four goblin-soldiers of greater stature".

Closer to this:

Not this:

Thumb resize.

Last edited by Huntn; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:22 AM   #16
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
The Lord of the Rings was a trilogy of books so it makes sense to make a trilogy of movies. I can see the Hobbit as 2 movies, 3 seems like a stretch.
LOTR was originally going to be 2 films. One of the problems they had was trying to decide where to split it in 2 [story structures make it easier to split in 3]. If I remember correctly, they were going to split it where the Nazgul [?] on the flying creature went after Frodo in that rubble city [sorry don't know the story well enough to use proper names]

Eventually the studio said to make it 3. Then later they released extended versions that are 3 1/2hrs each. I haven't seen the Hobbit yet, but I think that they are the type of stories where more can actually be better. Yes, I know that The Hobbit was only one book, but there is a whole lot of other stuff connected to it, that can be included. Extended version of the HObbit might be a bit much though

Last edited by Fresh Tendrils; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:36 AM   #17
jahoys
macrumors regular

saw The Hobbit on friday. was really impressed . reviews said it so-so but i have to disagree. now it's gonna be a long wait for the next one
jahoys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:29 AM   #18
maflynn

I'm aching to see it, maybe if my schedule permits it today, I'll be able to hit the theater. In preparation of the movie, I started reading the book and I've loved it so now I'm all the more anxious to see the movie
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:10 AM   #19
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Some of you sound like you would have preferred they only made one movie, just released it straight to DVD and skipped the theater ticket costs... and animated it to boot, well you should have just stuck with this version and skipped the new Peter Jackson trilogy.

I for one, like the idea of 3 movies, because I never want them to end... Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, et. al.
I always want more, another movie, the story to continue

I don't think in terms of "damn, another movie ticket price, money grubbing bastards", I think of wow, I get to go to another movie and see more... cause if I don't want to spend the money, I don't go to see it, or I wait for it come to Netflix. But some things I want to see on the big screen.

As far as the movie is concerned, I liked it a lot
Sure, I had a few moments of "hmmmmmm" but not too many
They added a story line or two that was not from the book, but that's Ok, it provides more depth and backstory
My biggest complaint would be some of the silliness that is found in the movie that wasn't as prevalent in LOTR... some of the one liners, childish banter, sort of the catering to the kids (like later Star Wars)
Examples would be the troll scene roasting the dwarves and the banter
Or the goblin under the mountain and his confrontation with Gandalf

All in all... did not have the epic quality of LOTR, but was still pretty awesome
MacDawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:34 AM   #20
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Loved the movie, think that it can easily fill 3 movies at this rate, but wouldn't watch 48 fps again. Feel like I am watching a soap opera.
Are you speaking of a visual quality, because I remember that "real" look soaps have as compared to most movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils View Post
LOTR was originally going to be 2 films. One of the problems they had was trying to decide where to split it in 2 [story structures make it easier to split in 3]. If I remember correctly, they were going to split it where the Nazgul [?] on the flying creature went after Frodo in that rubble city [sorry don't know the story well enough to use proper names]

Eventually the studio said to make it 3. Then later they released extended versions that are 3 1/2hrs each. I haven't seen the Hobbit yet, but I think that they are the type of stories where more can actually be better. Yes, I know that The Hobbit was only one book, but there is a whole lot of other stuff connected to it, that can be included. Extended version of the HObbit might be a bit much though
In its defense, there were 3 books in that case, not 1 as in the Hobbit's case. I would not have wanted them to fit the 3 books into one movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahoys View Post
saw The Hobbit on friday. was really impressed . reviews said it so-so but i have to disagree. now it's gonna be a long wait for the next one
I'm suspecting I will break down and see this in the theater. If you want 48fps, does it have to be 3D?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:36 PM   #21
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I saw The Hobbit at an Emagine DBOX Dolby Atmos 3D Theater projected at 48fps. Seats were $12.50.

At first the motion almost looked as if it was sped up. It kind of looked like something broadcast in PAL 50p. It took a few minutes to get used to but I ended up liking it. A few time it looked as if I was watching a stage play. The digital characters, such as the white goblin king look extremely life like. However at other times the quality of projection was so high that the visual effects didn't stand up to it. Like a few times while Radagast was running from the Warg Riders, it just looked like bad TV effects. Sometimes the camera movement was a little bumpy and distracting.

Overall once they get all the kinks worked out this will be a nice addition to the movie experience.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Actually, it was six books. The publisher made it in three volumes.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
Actually, it was six books. The publisher made it in three volumes.
Referencing LOTR, hmm, I wonder where each one ended? If you recall in the Fellowship of the Ring, it officially ended with Frodo and Sam crossing the river and heading out on their own. Thinking where could have Tolkien ended it before then, when they arrived at Rivendell?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Referencing LOTR, hmm, I wonder where each one ended? If you recall in the Fellowship of the Ring, it officially ended with Frodo and Sam crossing the river and heading out on their own. Thinking where could have Tolkien ended it before then, when they arrived at Rivendell?
From the Library of Congress:

http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/eci...005026697.html
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Huntn
macrumors 604

Spoilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnboy04 View Post
I heard something around the time of the announcement that there would be a third movie, and I'm quit positive there was a Peter Jackson interview, that the third movie is going to follow (somewhat) 95 or so pages of an unpublished appendix or appendixes. I'm just going off memory but all three movies are not just going to be based on The Hobbit.
Well that sounds good to me because I imagined them obliterating The Hobbit basic story with even more extras. If they wrap up The Hobbit book content in The Desolation of Smaug (movie), that will make me happier. After the Battle of Five Armies it takes Gandalf and Frodo 6 months to get home staying with Beorn over Christmas, staying with the elves at Rivendell, and it says in the book, they experienced "more adventures". Just finished the book, one of the most memorable reading experiences I've enjoyed multiple times starting with 5th grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
Hey I was right about the end of the first book. Thanks for posting.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion