Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #1
49JC
macrumors member

Recommend me a pocket camcorder!

Hi Im looking for a pocket camcorder for my wife and I. We have a little one at home that we'd like to capture moments I guess on the fly and on the go. Wife really likes something that she can just easily put in her purse or for me my back pocket. Been looking at flips, zi8, bloggies, etc. But cant make up my mind. We're leaning more towards a pocket camcorder mainly for the size and convenience but if you know of a more traditional camcorder that packs a punch in a small size, id consider those as well.

I guess I really want something that can provide the best video and audio for around $200.

Anybody have any recommendations?
49JC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49JC View Post
Hi Im looking for a pocket camcorder for my wife and I. We have a little one at home that we'd like to capture moments I guess on the fly and on the go. Wife really likes something that she can just easily put in her purse or for me my back pocket. Been looking at flips, zi8, bloggies, etc. But cant make up my mind. We're leaning more towards a pocket camcorder mainly for the size and convenience but if you know of a more traditional camcorder that packs a punch in a small size, id consider those as well.

I guess I really want something that can provide the best video and audio for around $200.

Why doesn't the iPhone meet your needs?
Undecided is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
polotska
macrumors 6502

Yes, what capabilities are you looking for beyond what the iPhone offers?
polotska is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:23 PM   #4
xStep
macrumors 68000

Why are you guys promoting an iPhone. The OP did not mention having one and want's to spend around $200. On contract the iPhone is many many many times more expensive than $200!

Off contract, the minimum costs for an iPhone are as follows
3GS is $375 - records 480p
4 is $549 - records 720p
4S is $649 - records 1080p
Another reason to avoid the iPhone is it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get it in up and running as a video camera. And if it is in still mode, than it will take that much longer to switch to video mode. Oh, and no zoom at all.

The PowerShot ELPH 110 comes in at $200 at the Canon site, can do 1280 x 720 video at 30fps and even 1920 x 1080 at 24fps. This isn't a recommendation. I just wanted to put this conversation back on track.

Last edited by xStep; Aug 25, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Changed the word phone to video camera.
xStep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStep View Post
Why are you guys promoting an iPhone. The OP did not mention having one and want's to spend around $200. On contract the iPhone is many many many times more expensive than $200!

Off contract, the minimum costs for an iPhone are as follows
3GS is $375 - records 480p
4 is $549 - records 720p
4S is $649 - records 1080p
Another reason to avoid the iPhone is it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get it in up and running as a phone. And if it is in still mode, than it will take that much longer to switch to video mode. Oh, and no zoom at all.

The PowerShot ELPH 110 comes in at $200 at the Canon site, can do 1280 x 720 video at 30fps and even 1920 x 1080 at 24fps. This isn't a recommendation. I just wanted to put this conversation back on track.
We aren't promoting it; we're eliciting more information by just asking why it doesn't meet his needs, since he cited size and convenience for around $200.

He may already have one.....zero cost.
He could get a 4S.....$200 on contract.
Or an iPod Touch....$200.

Since iOS 5, it's very quick to open the camera.

I think it's fair to assume he has a phone of some kind in this day and age, so being able to combine a phone and camcorder in one is certainly convenient, and saves space.

And since this is Macrumors, I suspect it's a greater than 50% chance he has an iPhone already. Since he didn't mention anything about any phone, it suggests that option may have been overlooked., or rejected for unstated reasons.

M'kay?
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:10 AM   #6
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
He could get a 4S.....$200 on contract.
Add up the cost of that contract. It's, oh, a bit more than $200.

Quote:
Since iOS 5, it's very quick to open the camera.
I'll try it in the Apple store. My 3GS and iPod doesn't convince me of that. But then, I've also noticed other stall issues.

Quote:
M'kay?
Uh?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Titanium81
macrumors 6502a

iPhone is the only camera, camcorder, music player, phone, gps and internet browser that you will need. Why buy a separate device for each function?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
evil_santa
macrumors 6502a

try a gopro http://gopro.com
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49JC View Post

Stand alone pocket camcorders are a waste of money, IMHO. Buy a compact camera that also records video like a nice waterproof, shock proof one. They're fine for what you need, I think.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video