Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I've noticed an increase in the frequency of useless, '+1' type posts. On the first page of almost every article, there's at least 1 post referring to how "Steve would have never allowed ____" and at least 1 post either expecting this type of post or responding to its inevitably. Additionally, every product rumor/announcement seems to have at least 1 Futurama Fry "Shut Up and Take My Money" image macro (often multiple ones). This is accompanied by what seems like an increase in trolls as of late too. These detract from discussion and produce extra scrolling.

Am I alone in thinking this has increased? Any plans to do anything or is it perceived as harmless and in the noise still at this point?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Use the
report.gif
button to report those posts, that is probably all you can do right now.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The Moderators try to take most of this noise down as we see it
Please help us out by reporting it as you see it and we can take action

+1 posts, posts with only images as you describe, etc. are flagged in the Forum Rules and will be addressed

Yes, there is a lot of it, which is all the more reason to report it
I know you see much of it, but trust me, we have removed far more than you see

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I do report them, I just wanted to know the official stance on it. Clicking gets old and I wanted to know if there would be any kind of organized effort than reporting. I also hate spamming the moderators unless it's really egregious.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I also hate spamming the moderators unless it's really egregious.

I do that all the time, and they like it.

In all earnest, there does not really seem to be some kind of automated measure to prevent posting a +1 or "Take my money" image.

But that reporting issue gave me an idea:
What if the Report Post page also included a quick check list, like "SPAM", "+1 post" or "redundant image" or something similar? Thus it could be categorised more easily, maybe even have an automated system taking care of it. But I guess VBB is not capable of doing that.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Most of the moderators work comes from post reports, so it is always helpful. If you start sending tons and tons of reports, for posts that don't need moderator attention, then they will send you a message. Until then, report away.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So "Steve would have never allowed this" can be classed as spam now? Reported rather a lot of posts and so far have yet to recieve a "Good God man stop right now" :D

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
But Tim said...

Don't forget the "doubling down on security" posts...And the "inb4" posts that try and list all the meme's at once... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said, I'm guilty of meme image posting a couple times...definitely will knock that off! :eek:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Every year you will see something new and the old ones drop off. When is the last time you saw a "Next Tuesday" post. Eventually a new catch phrase will replace those Fry and Steve said... posts.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I sometimes feel bad when I send 50 different messages to the mods when I spot the late night spam posts roll in. I feel like I'm being "needy".

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Let's file "Safari seems snappier" posts under this category as well. I'm actually glad to hear that these repetitious posts are in violation in the rules; now I can flag them without feeling like I'm wasting the moderators' time.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I kind of miss the "PowerBook G5" thing we had going on there for a while. :D

I think those are grandfathered in because most of the people here are too new to even understand the joke. :) And the fact that most people use it in reply contextually rather than blabber it every thread helps too.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So "Steve would have never allowed this" can be classed as spam now?

Could the mods clarify on this? I'd love to see these posts deleted but I don't want to waste their time reporting them unless it's legit.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Could the mods clarify on this? I'd love to see these posts deleted but I don't want to waste their time reporting them unless it's legit.

I think the consensus viewpoint is that if there is no other content/that's all the post says then most likely we'd delete it under "Things Not To Do" Rule 2

Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I think the consensus viewpoint is that if there is no other content/that's all the post says then most likely we'd delete it under "Things Not To Do" Rule 2

That is good news. They are some of the most annoying posts going. Thank you for clarifying it.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Can we add the many annoying posts of "But it's not iPhone X, it's iPhone Y!"

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok, it is really get out of hand now. I think there needs to be some kind of forum announcement for a list for a list of things that people are not allowed to say.

So far we have:

1. Steve would never allow this!
  2. It is not iPhone 5, it is iPhone X ( or something along those lines, at least while the rumours are going on )
  3. Slow news today
  4. Shut up and take my money
  5. Double down on secrecy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.