Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey guys, valve announced that dota2 will be on the Mac. does anyone when it'll actually be released? the Win version has been out for ages. when will the Mac version be out?

thanks

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
My guess is that they will start beta-testing the Mac version soon after the International. At the latest the Mac version will be out at launch.

Athonline

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Based on Valve's history same day with PC official release. As for the Beta, I would say pretty soon...

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I've read it won't be out until Dota 2 is officially out. At the latest that should be the end of December, as someone worked out.

Asdf115

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Not sure if I remember correctly, but back when Tobi went to Vavle several months ago, I think he said that they hadn't even begun the Mac version at that point. Of course, because that Dota2 has been "released" since then, it's entirely possible that they've been working on it recently.

As others have said, earliest will probably after TI. Latest will probably once they release it into open ala Mac client of CS GO

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
wow, december?

anyone else have an idea?

Somebody worked out the average amount of heroes that have been released weekly, and used that data to work out when Dota 2 would launch. I think the date was December 21st, but they would probably have time off then, so maybe January. Though, of course, they could start releasing heroes faster and get done sooner.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
In the meanwhile you can use Parallels 7 to play Dota 2 if you have a bootcamp install. it runs very well via Parallels. The new Vmware Fusion 5 may also work but the previous version Dota 2 was unplayable. Couldn't get Wine/Crossover to work perfectly either.

Asdf115

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
The International (or TI 2) is the second annual professional Dota 2 tournament held by Valve. It actually starts next week I think so you should check it out

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
The International (or TI 2) is the second annual professional Dota 2 tournament held by Valve. It actually starts next week I think so you should check it out

Yes, this will be a blast! If I recall correctly they will be competing for 1.6 million dollars, so this will be the best of the best competing.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I really like DOTA and watching it but its the one game I truly suck at, I also can't sit down and dedicate a full hour to one match without moving.

Really hope it comes to mac soon so that I can continue to lose to bots over and over and over.

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
Im sorry for resurrecting old thread, but i think this could be useful information for Mac user who interested to play DOTA 2 on their Mac without using bootcamp or VM/parallel desktop
so here the tips just follow this tutorial :
First you going to need Wineskin:-
Wineskin is a tool used to make ports of Windows software to Mac OS X.
Mono:-
An open source, cross-platform, implementation of C# and the CLR that is binary compatible with Microsoft.NET
3rd STEAM For windows

How to Install:-
1- Install Wineskin
2- Install Wineskin Engine WS9Wine 1.5.26 (latest stable build for the time I wrote this)
3- Update to the latest Wrapper
4- Create a New blank Wrapper And Name it Steam
5- after its done you will see a message tells you its done creating ... click on view the folder.
6- it will show you the folder of the wrapper you created usually found in /user/applications/wineskin/
7- right click and click on show package contents.
8- click on the wineskin icon and select Install an application
9- Choose the first one which is Executable... then search for the Steam file which you downloaded earlier... note that steam version must be for windows
10- do a normal install.
11- after you finish the installation click on wineskin and go to advances .. make sure that the file path is set to the steam.exe file
12- Install Mono for mac OSX
13- Run the steam wrapper file to allow steam for win to run on mac
14- log-in to your account
15- right click on dota 2 - properties - set launch options and type this[/COLOR] command line.. must be exactly the same..
Code:
-novid -windowed -nod3d9ex
i typed the -windowed command to make the game starts on a window screen because if you dont type that you wont be able to use the keyboard in-game
16- start the game and go to settings - video - change the display to full screen and choose the best resolution to display and now you are done.

ps:
Known issue: fonts invisible. 'dwrite' disabled via 'wine steam.exe -no-dwrite'
Original tutorial is here

and this are my running DOTA 2 on my :apple: MBP 13 (mid 2012) screenshot :

all run smooth and no problem whatsoever ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.