Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTF-Chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Please feel free to move this if this is not the right place for this question.

I am about to start flipping furniture over here. I have talked to several different technical support reps about this and no one seems to know what to do, and all they'll do is link me to online troubleshooting walkthroughs that don't directly address the part where I am getting stuck. Or at least, if they do address the issue, they do not clearly spell it out for someone like me who is not savvy with these things.

Basically, I am trying to get contacts from Outlook 2007 (from a PC with Windows 7) onto an iPhone 4S. Apparently, I am supposed to do the following successfully:

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer
2. Open iTunes
3. Click on the device
4. From the main page, go to "Info"
5. Check "Sync contacts with [choose folder]" and select Outlook

However, during the last step, I am unable to select anything. There is nothing in the drop down box. When I got this far with Apple's tech support, instead of instructing me on what to do, the guy linked me to the following troubleshooting tutorial:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2776

If my solution is in there, I have no idea where to find it. I have no clue what I'm doing and thus, from that link, I cannot pick out what parts apply and don't apply to my situation. If anyone knows how to resolve this issue, or can at least point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• itunesissue.jpg
    itunesissue.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 215

FHayek

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Please feel free to move this if this is not the right place for this question.

I am about to start flipping furniture over here. I have talked to several different technical support reps about this and no one seems to know what to do, and all they'll do is link me to online troubleshooting walkthroughs that don't directly address the part where I am getting stuck. Or at least, if they do address the issue, they do not clearly spell it out for someone like me who is not savvy with these things.

Basically, I am trying to get contacts from Outlook 2007 (from a PC with Windows 7) onto an iPhone 4S. Apparently, I am supposed to do the following successfully:

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer
2. Open iTunes
3. Click on the device
4. From the main page, go to "Info"
5. Check "Sync contacts with [choose folder]" and select Outlook

However, during the last step, I am unable to select anything. There is nothing in the drop down box. When I got this far with Apple's tech support, instead of instructing me on what to do, the guy linked me to the following troubleshooting tutorial:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2776

If my solution is in there, I have no idea where to find it. I have no clue what I'm doing and thus, from that link, I cannot pick out what parts apply and don't apply to my situation. If anyone knows how to resolve this issue, or can at least point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Very strange! This is the process I used to originally sync my iPhone to my Outlook 2012. Does iTunes recognize your phone? Also, it may have something to do with where your contacts are held. Are they in "Contacts' or the MS Address book? I think Outlook can store that data in one or two different places depending on how you initially configured it....

I got very tired of using iTunes to sync my two devices, so I found an inexpensive Hosted Exchange provider and the sync between my laptop and iPhone are seamless.

Goodluck-

Hayek

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
In my Outlook Mac, I had to open Outlook, then explicitly turn on SYNC service before iTiunes would recognize it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.