Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
My wife just overwrote a file folder that contained several important documents and .key (Keynote) files. I know I can get a "deleted" file back relatively easily with Disk Drill. My fear is that the content of the original file folder is gone for good because of the overwrite. Please tell me I'm wrong. :(

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Just overwriting it doesn't mean the actual disk space was overwritten. That's a system function, but the files may have been stored elsewhere on the physical disk. Same procedures apply. STOP USING YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY, or you risk losing the files anyways. If you have a copy of Disk Drill already, run it's deleted files scan and see if the files show up.

jW

jpine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Just overwriting it doesn't mean the actual disk space was overwritten. That's a system function, but the files may have been stored elsewhere on the physical disk. Same procedures apply. STOP USING YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY, or you risk losing the files anyways. If you have a copy of Disk Drill already, run it's deleted files scan and see if the files show up.

jW

I did have her stop what she was doing and I did run the deleted file scan to no avail. I'm doing the deep scan as we speak. I am not hopeful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.