Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biohazard79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
So I have been searching high and low on both forums and my macbook as to where the movie files are being saved. I'm assuming they are hidden because usual searches don't come up with anything and I checked the flixster app package contants with no avail. Can anyone help me?

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
User -> Library

The are located in your user folder -> library -> application support -> flixster

Movies that you have downloaded will be in a folder.

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
and not a whole lot we can do with these files huh? can't play them on any other device or convert them? Flixster is pretty good at this shafting business huh? I mean you paid for the movie but can't do anything with it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's weird that I got the UltraViolet Despicable Me package, and it downloaded direct to iTunes. Now The Hobbit doesn't. AND I think they turned off the 'show all files' setting too. Sneaky bastards...

So why crap on iTunes? Why make it so damn hard to 'be legal' that it's not even close to being worth it? They take two big steps forward, and fall back a couple of hundred. What a bunch of wankers... :mad::mad::mad:

nokkelen

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
The default download folder for Flixster on mac osx is...

So...

You can change the download folder from Flixster's preferences pane quite easily, but what's that?

You say you already downloaded something thinking that it would be defaulted to your downloads folder.... Panic.

No need.

You can see the default download path that Flixster used by going to its preferences pane.

Wait! What?!

You already changed the download folder location and didn't pay attention to the old path!?!

Or even worse, you see the path and just can't find your way to it?!?

What's that? You even made hidden files visible and it still didn't work?!?!?

Here's the rememdy:

(updated remedy) Read this before you go all terminal with the long way.

Go to the Finder.
Hold down the Option key and click on the the Go menu.
Select Library.
Look for the Application Support folder. Open it.
You will find the Flixster folder in here.

You can hold and let go of the Option key while you have the Go menu open and you'll se the Library folder appear and then disappear. Try it, it's fun.

(Now for the long way)

Cmd-Shift-U (key command to open utilities when in Finder)
Open Terminal

Alternatively you can Cmd-Spacebar and start typing 'terminal'
Spotlight will have it all lined up for you so that you can just push 'return'

You should now be in your home folder.

You'll see your user name with a $ beside it, because you're money and you're using terminal to access your worthless UV file that you downloaded from the horrible application that is known as Flixster.

Here's what it should look like (just remember, you're not me):

Andrews-iMac:~ nokkelen$

Now you need to type (or copy and paste):

cd Library/Application\ Support/

Now it'll look like this:

Andrews-iMac:Application Support nokkelen$

Now for moving the Flixster file out into the open where you can watch it be deleted forever.

type:

mv Flixster ~/Desktop/

The Flixster folder with everything in it will now be on your desktop. You'll find the the movie file you're looking for in there with a string for a title and no extension. Search around the internet and you'll find a whole bunch of complaining about Flixster and how UV files are pretty much useless. Most likely, you did that before coming to this thread.

Now, go to the Flixster website and initiate the process of letting them know how horrible their product is. You'll get a "ticket number" email and everything. Complain about their horrible product with fervour. Let them know how it wasted your time and brought you to this forum to follow a post and actually type in code to bring their horrid file out into the open so that you could delete it for all its worthlessness.

Demand a digital file that's free of DRM so that you can watch your digital movie on your Apple TV or any other device that you've integrated into your entertainment system with ease and not through some ridiculous screen mirroring run around nonsense that's currently proposed.

Use your power as a someone who has gone to the effort to show financial support to the movie industry and isn't just getting another movie for free off the internet to make the industry more responsible to its patrons.

Now that you've done all this, start a petition to make DRM illegal. Rally the people and demand, demand, demand!

The sooner the world gets its shurt together and starts sharing technology and development through investing first and foremost in education, the sooner we'll be able to rise above the horrible mess of a power struggle that created a product like Flixster's hidden default download folder.

Demand that Samsung and Apple shake hands in public and share the best of their tech to make things better for everyone. iPhones still don't have swype... not until iOS 8. Come on!

Just think about it.... people have to jailbreak their phones. Jail break.

Rally people. Demand better!

Oh yes, I almost forgot. You must make sure to take a moment to thank the good people of the internet. Post a selfie of your tweet being liked on facebook to your instagram so that you can link it to your tumblr and have it pinned by a tech blogger to a wall that's titled, Success!. It should read something along the lines of....

"I love you internet!! Thank you kind people of the world for taking the time to freely share your knowledge with me so that I can complain about my first world problems while a three year old girl is sorting trash in a landfill with her grandfather somewhere that I never knew existed and most likely can't pronounce. I am so, blessed?"

What do you mean that's more than 140 characters???
What do you mean Barq's has bite???
You tell'em Johnny.
You tell the world!

Last edited:

UndefinedVirtue

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2016

So...

You can change the download folder from Flixster's preferences pane quite easily, but what's that?

You say you already downloaded something thinking that it would be defaulted to your downloads folder.... Panic.

No need.

You can see the default download path that Flixster used by going to its preferences pane.

Wait! What?!

You already changed the download folder location and didn't pay attention to the old path!?!

Here's the rememdy:

Go to the Finder.
Select Library.

You can hold and let go of the Option key while you have the Go menu open and you'll se the Library folder appear and then disappear. Try it, it's fun.

(Now for the long way)

Open Terminal

You'll see your user name with a $ beside it, because you're money and you're using terminal to access your worthless UV file that you downloaded from the horrible application that is known as Flixster.

Now for moving the Flixster file out into the open where you can watch it be deleted forever.

type:

mv Flixster ~/Desktop/

The Flixster folder with everything in it will now be on your desktop. You'll find the the movie file you're looking for in there with a string for a title and no extension. Search around the internet and you'll find a whole bunch of complaining about Flixster and how UV files are pretty much useless. Most likely, you did that before coming to this thread.

Now, go to the Flixster website and initiate the process of letting them know how horrible their product is. You'll get a "ticket number" email and everything. Complain about their horrible product with fervour. Let them know how it wasted your time and brought you to this forum to follow a post and actually type in code to bring their horrid file out into the open so that you could delete it for all its worthlessness.

Demand a digital file that's free of DRM so that you can watch your digital movie on your Apple TV or any other device that you've integrated into your entertainment system with ease and not through some ridiculous screen mirroring run around nonsense that's currently proposed.

Use your power as a someone who has gone to the effort to show financial support to the movie industry and isn't just getting another movie for free off the internet to make the industry more responsible to its patrons.

Now that you've done all this, start a petition to make DRM illegal. Rally the people and demand, demand, demand!

The sooner the world gets its shurt together and starts sharing technology and development through investing first and foremost in education, the sooner we'll be able to rise above the horrible mess of a power struggle that created a product like Flixster's hidden default download folder.

Demand that Samsung and Apple shake hands in public and share the best of their tech to make things better for everyone. iPhones still don't have swype... not until iOS 8. Come on!

Oh yes, I almost forgot. You must make sure to take a moment to thank the good people of the internet. Post a selfie of your tweet being liked on facebook to your instagram so that you can link it to your tumblr and have it pinned by a tech blogger to a wall that's titled, Success!. It should read something along the lines of....

"I love you internet!! Thank you kind people of the world for taking the time to freely share your knowledge with me so that I can complain about my first world problems while a three year old girl is sorting trash in a landfill with her grandfather somewhere that I never knew existed and most likely can't pronounce. I am so, blessed?"

You tell'em Johnny.
You tell the world!

I had to take the time to register just to tell you how much you made my Saturday morning with that reply.

Says so much, about so little......

As for the 3 year old and the landfill, is that anything like trying to find knowledge on the Internet these days?

Because I think I just found a buried treasure.

peterm9911

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2016
And I signed up just to like it....

So...

No need.

Wait! What?!

Here's the rememdy:

Go to the Finder.
Select Library.

(Now for the long way)

Open Terminal

type:

mv Flixster ~/Desktop/

You tell'em Johnny.
You tell the world!

Jobama

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018

So...

No need.

Wait! What?!

Here's the rememdy:

Go to the Finder.
Select Library.

(Now for the long way)

Open Terminal

type:

mv Flixster ~/Desktop/

You tell'em Johnny.
You tell the world!

Thank you for your heroism in sharing this all with us. In honour of your memory, I vow to find a way to read this stupid *expletiving* *expletive* of a video file in vlc player!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.