Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
I have a 2009 ipod classic. the Kenwood DNX9990HD head unit that is in my truck lags due to the album artwork loading... short of deleting all the album artwork in my itunes library, is there a way i can disable the artwork on that ipod?

i was also thinking that maybe i could get into the ipod with something like iExplorer and erase it that way but i think that might be reaching... theres no settings in the HU to tell it not to load the artwork, so i need to stop it at the ipod itself.

first world problems i know ;)

Last edited:

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
This seems useful: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/175193-remove-all-album-artwork-from-itunes/

Also, you can select all your tracks and right click and choose Clear Downloaded Artwork.

Now, I know you said you just want to remove it from this particular iPod and not all of iTunes (or other devices). So, the plan is to remove it all, sync the Classic, then restore the artwork all via iTunes's Download Artwork function. It a bit of a hassle, but it should work.

After this, I would switch to manually managing the music for the Classic and just load new tracks when you sync (after deleting the artwork obviously). Then, add the artwork and sync to whatever other devices you have.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
thanks guys just a follow up with what appears to be a solution thus far...

mount the ipod on your windows computer as a disk (hold down menu and select till the apple logo, then let go of menu and hold play until it says disk mode)

once thats done, make sure windows will show you invisible files under folder view. enter the ipod in windows explorer, go to ipod control, and delete the folder "album artwork". all done! :)
my head unit is skipping songs 100% faster now that its not trying to load artwork every time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.