Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAnthonySutton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
I am just wondering what you guys use has your setup for web design / development.

If you wouldn't mind, please include hardware and the software you use. I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks guys :)

Tholian

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Stanford
Wordpress (using Thesis theme), Espresso for writing html and a little bit of PHP, GraphicConverter and Pixelmator for graphics. All these are running on a Mac Mini and the site is hosted by Dreamhost.

Hope this helps.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Dreamweaver & Coda 2 for coding, on iMac 3.4 i7 16GB 27". Photoshop & Illustrator for graphics. Hosting service is pair Networks.

sugardrum

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Macbook Air 11" 8Gb Ram connected to a widescreen 23" LG monitor, although until recently I got by with a 2008 15" Macbook Pro.

Sublime Text for CSS/HTML/PHP
Photoshop for Graphics stuff
Macports for running local Apache dev environment

oh, and hosting by http://ecowebhosting.co.uk

grizfan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Boise, ID
for hardware, I do most of my work on my 15" early 2011 Macbook Pro that I've upgraded to 16GB of memory (now looking at a 256GB SSD for my next upgrade). I have a bluetooth keyboard, Magic Mouse and a Dell U2412M (24" IPS monitor). Finally, I have a 1TB USB hard drive for Time Machine.

On the software front, Pixelmator for image work, BBEdit for coding. I enabled Apache, and installed MySQL for the local dev environment, and I use FileZilla for FTP.

Creating wireframes is a big part of my workflow. I use Omnigraffle for that, but I've been tempted by online tools such as HotGloo for that work. Finally, for source control, I'm partial to SVN, and use Beanstalk.com to host SVN repositories. So far, its been command line for SVN, but I'd like to simplify things and get an SVN client, such as Versions. Or maybe I'll just get more comfortable with the command line, who knows...

If you are still trying to decide what software to use, take advantage of the 30 day trial periods. Especially for your HTML editor. I tried several, but BBEdit was the one for me. Others swear by Coda or Sublime. Fortunately, you can try before you buy.

Jamesbot

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
OS X, textmate, homebrew, ruby on rails, rspec, git for development

Ubuntu, vim, nginx, passenger, thin, postgresql, for production

I use a VPS from linode.com for production sites, which ive been very happy with.

in my experience, a good amount of desktop real estate has been useful to me. I like to have open at the very least a browser, a text editor, and a terminal for tailing logs / rails console / running tasks / code generation without having to switch between foreground, background windows all the time.

So I use a large format monitor like the 27" Cinema Display as my primary monitor, in addition to a secondary monitor that i swivel between portrait and landscape orientation.

The quality of the keyboard is huge for me. I use a Happy Hacking Professional 2, which ran me ~$300. And while i realize it may seem crazy to spend that much on a keyboard, honestly every second i spend typing on this keyboard is like a tiny gift. And i spend A LOT of time typing, so imo this was one of the best decisions ive ever made.

Last edited:

John444

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Non coding - Weebly.com
blog - Wordpress.org
coding - Adobe Dreamweaver
graphics - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator
flash animations - Adobe Flash Professional
Professional videos - Adobe Premiere
basic videos - iMovie & QuickTime Player
ftp - Adobe Dreamweaver
local server - MAMP
web host - hostmonster.com

I have been very impressed with all of the above.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hardware:
iMac 2012 (21.5 in) (x2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2012 (not retina)
Mac Mini Server
iPad2 (x2)
iPad3
Ubuntu i7 4.0Ghz/16GB Ram/ATI GPU 1G/10T HDs/27.5" 1920x1200 LCD
Windows i7 4.0Ghz/16GB Ram/ATI 5870 1G/2T HDs/30" UltraSharp 2560x1600
NAS WesternDigital Server 6TB

Software:
Coda
Photoshop
MAMP
SourceTree GIT (version control)
Eclipse
Blender
Cyberduck FTP
Unity
XCode
Netbeans
Terminal ;-)
JMonkey
TextWrangler
Wordpress
Drupal
Joomla
PHP,MySQL,Apache,Node,Javascript,HTML5,CSS3,WebGL ( although I've given up hope for it ).

just looking around the office

Last edited:

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
Hardware:
I have a mid-2009 13" MBP, 8GB RAM, 640GB HDD. When at my desk its connected to an Apple 27" ACD, bluetooth keyboard, magic mouse and magic trackpad. For meetings I will sometimes use my iPad 3. I'll even occasionally check things on my sites from my iPhone.

Software:
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion last week since I finally got confirmation that all the software I use runs fine on it. All coding is done in Coda 2. Photoshop and Illustrator CS4 for graphics. Web browsing in Safari for being logged into the site i'm working on, firefox with firebug for most of the debugging. Microsoft Word for opening content clients send me, opening them in pages tends to cause issues when copying the content onto the site. Parallels with a Windows XP VM for IE testing. Omnigraffle for wireframes and flowcharts. Dropbox for sharing files with my business partner. Billings for Invoices.

On the iPad, when used in meetings I have Omnigraffle and I'll use a sketchbook app for doing quick sketched to demonstrate and idea to a client. On the iPad and iPhone I use apps for checking google analytics and the Cpanel on the go. I recently configured one of my sites to push notifications to my iPhone using prowl, I may do that for more sites.

All the sites I have been working on lately are in drupal, recently started using version 7 as most of the modules we use have finally been ported over. Hosting for my personal and new side business projects is at Site5, hosting at the studio I work with is at Hostgator.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Macbook Pro 13 - OS X 10.6., 8GB, 2.53GHz Core i5 (employer provided)
Samsung monitor connected via DVI
Wireless mouse, bluetooth keyboard

Komodo 7.1.2 (IDE)
MAMP Pro 2.0.5
Microsoft Office for Mac circa 2011 (Word, Excel, etc.)
Adobe Photoshop CS6
FileZilla (FTP) 3.53
VMWare Fusion -> Windows 7 -> Native MSIE testing

Latest browsers:
Chrome with many extensions for web dev (notably: web dev, seo, rulers, PHP ninja - Chrome is my primary browser)
FFox with webdev and firebug
Safari
Opera

Textedit -- absolutely essential ;-)

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Hardware
Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011 4GB
Iphone4
-Saving up for a thunderbolt display, as it is very difficult working on a 13" display.
- Also saving up for a iPad, just to be gangster

Software
Coda - Programming
Photoshop - Image Development
MAMP - Wordpress theme testing

Thats really all I need, going to upgrade the mac to 16Gb when Crucial have them in stock.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Some sites I just use Wordpress. For other sites I use Dreamweaver CS6. My main computer is a mid-2010 27" iMac with 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a 2.93GHz i7.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Currently on a 20" 2.1Ghz Core2Duo iMac (late 2006) with an SSD upgrade and waiting for the new models to come out so I can upgrade, also have a 13" Aluminum MacBook (just before it was rebadged as the MBP).

Software wise I'm primarily in Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 for design and Coda 2 for development. Bit of Maya and Modo for other projects as well.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Retina MacBook Pro
Markup: Coda 2 (very thankful for this wonderful app)
Graphics: Sketch
Magic Mouse

Two reasons why I don't use Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver: Cost & No Retina Support.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Just bought a base 2012 13" MBP i5 an dropped in 16GB ram and a 512gb SSD, running fast, i use office for mac, xcode, adobe, parallels for win XP to use MS Visual Studio 2010, all runs with very little or no lag considering all in the MBP cost me £1150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.